Cool Fan Trailer for Star Trek II

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mr_Homn, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a really well made fan trailer in my opinion. It feels a bit "modernized". Not that I think Star trek needs any "modernization" to be interesting, not in the least... but if you showed this to someone who thought "old trek" was lame, it might interest them enough to check it out. But, it does give away way too much, like most modern trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBpwPfW1Lsw

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not bad but it never quite climaxes, there should be some big action buildup at the two-thirds mark I think. And probably needed to switch to another music piece or two (which may also coincide with my other point. Though I guess it's not too bad because now I want to watch Star Trek II again. :)

3. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

This is very good. Not super crazy about the font, but I love the scene mix and new contrast of dialogue. I think I saw this several months ago and thought the same. I'm not worried that it doesn't fit the standard trailer mold (build up). This isn't being pitched to people unfamiliar with the movie. Rather, I think of this as a retrospective, a best-of look at a movie, which should rightfully be celebrated for the masterpiece it is.

4. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    I have to say that I'm impressed. I really enjoyed that trailer.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of style or ability, but creations like this often make me wonder just what editors were (or weren't) thinking back in the day. If they could have created something dramatic and compelling like this, wouldn't they have? But would a bunch of film cuts with music and audio really have presented a challenge -- even in 82? Or maybe trailers were just afterthoughts; something slapped together without much care, simply designed to let the interested viewers know a movie was coming, and not really to generate interest?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Very well done.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nicely done. I only have a vague recollection of the trailers from back in the day (haven't bothered to go back and look for them), but this was much better, but a tad spoiler-y.

7. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Could a compelling trailer be constructed for lesser Trek films? Thinking TMP, Nemesis, maybe TFF. That would probably be considered false advertising. :)

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Indeed it was. :techman:

9. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty good, much better than the original trailer by a big margin.

It could use some editing down. By the time the single words started appearing toward the end, "love," "sacrifice," etc. I thought that was extraneous.

I don't think whoever made the original trailer really understood the movie at all. This makes it feel new and fresh; the original makes it feel old and dusty.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ A lot of old trailers play like that.

An example:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ[/yt]

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It might be interesting to do a Spock trilogy trailer. Show Reliant gutting Enterprise, then show Enterprise blowing up in ST III as if Reliant did it.