Star Fleet Paper Documents In TNG Era?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by ahkyahnan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

I'm curious, in TNG, DS9 and VOY did they ever show an official Star Fleet document/printout on paper?

I'm trying to put together a TNGish border pattern for printed tech materials, that's not as wide and complicated as the typical PADD or LCARS control panel patterns.

I can't recall an example myself, but haven't watched many episodes from those series' in some time and could be forgetting something.

Thanks.

Mark

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gather some of the assorted "diplomas" on the walls of guest stars might have been Starfleet documents, but I'm not aware of any specific examples really being that.

The only explicit printouts that come to mind are the ones ordered by Picard in "Farpoint", and we saw none of those.

But would not a simple rounded-corner line at the border be the way to go? That's what was used on all the Probert and later Okuda/Sternbach wall charts, after all. The assumption would be that there no longer exists such a thing as paper correspondence; the wall-mounted printouts and their smaller equivalents would be the one application of "paper" graphics in that era.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Maybe a "printout" was one of those "early PADDs" mentioned in the EAS Observations articles?

4. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'll probably go with some simplified version of the rounded-corner idea you suggest Timo. Thanks. That was what I kinda expected anyway, just that some of those patterns are more complex than what I plan to do, with wide lines coming into the middle of the view and separating areas more like a web-page than say a simple stationary border. I just thought I'd make sure there was nothing of that nature that had shown up already before inventing something.

Thanks again though to both of you!

Mark

5. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

The idea of Plastic "paper" already exists. Such things could be hung up in department stores. It is not a stretch that a paper replacement could come up in Trek. One moment it's a Diploma, next it's some other document.