Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yes, it's The Atlantis Invaders. I don't know what Jimm is thinking these days. Last time we chatted about scripts we talked about something more TTI in scale, as Atlantis is a story with a lot more characters and sets than TTI.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

14,000 views and three hundred entrees to this thread.

3. Maurice

And your point?

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I think his point is pretty obvious... there's a LOT of interest in this subject. The numbers show that.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No ... most of those are just me clicking on the thread every six hours. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Well, me and Kagen.

6. Maurice

Obvious only if you don't look at the average hit to post ratio. The read to post ration on this topic is 46 to 1, where the average ratio for the first 15 other topics in this channel is 57 to 1.

7. xortex

I guess the people that like it really like it be it a small faction. If it was on CBS, who wouldn't watch it though?

8. Maurice

Lots of people wouldn't watch it if it were on CBS. It's shot like a 60s TV show and features mostly amateur actors. It's an amazing piece of work for a fan production, but it's not ready for prime-time.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet "Diagnosis: Murder" worked... :lol:

10. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

As did Nash Bridges and Walker-Texas Ranger.......

11. Admiral Buzzkill

12. xortex

Dennis, looking back on it, was TTI too ambitious? How's Polaris coming?

Your fan, Jim

13. Admiral Buzzkill

No, "Tressaurian Intersection" was ambitious and in the end I think we'll have exceeded our goals in some places and doubtless will be judged to have fallen short in some. I certainly would not have wanted to see us settle at the outset for any less than we've attempted, though.

If anything, I don't think my script was ambitious enough, in terms of the drama. The project grew radically during preproduction, and having seen the result of what so many people were able to put on the stage I wish I'd reached a little higher (certainly wish that I'd gone through another draft and done some deep cutting in places). In retrospect I'd certainly have focused a bit more on one or two of the featured actors.

Polaris (Starship Polaris: Phaidros on alternate days, depending on my mood), despite our radio silence, is moving forward remarkably steadily right now. I just got back from a meeting with our lead actor (who's also one of the producers) and our Director of Photography. We're on the verge of casting the remaining two pivotal parts with a couple of folks that I really like, will start set construction in a few weeks and (knock on wood) will settle the arrangements for our soundstage shortly thereafter.

I hope to have specific announcements to update the news blog with before the end of this month. I know I keep saying that. :lol:

14. xortex

Why are you producing and doing it yourself instead of selling it to be produced?

15. Maurice

Re TTI, I hope xortex didn't think I wasn't implying it was too ambitious. On the contrary, I was saying that given how hard it was to make TTI, I think Atlantis was too ambitious in scale as it required many more sets, characters, makeups, props, etc. than TTI.

I won't speak for Dennis, but if this question were put to me I'd say because
    a) it's very difficult to sell a TV show or movie
    b) even if you make the sale, there's no guarantee the people you sell it to can/will get it made, and
    c) if they do get it made, it probably won't be made the way you wanted it...they put up the money, they'll make what they want of it
    Neither of which were shot like 60s TV shows, you weisenheimers! ;)

16. Admiral Buzzkill

I always thought "Diagnosis" looked more like a 70s TV show, which is worse... :lol:

Because that requires a buyer.

17. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Dennis,

I just have to say, I've watched TTI, and personally think it is the finest example of ST fanfilm yet... the whole bit with the Tholians, and the way you recreated the Tholian itself... utter perfection.

I don't really feel anything fell short... yes, things were noticeably better in TTI, than in the first Exeter episode, but that's to be expected, even in real TV... I mean, look at TNG's first season, compared to its third and fourth.

Keep being ambitious! I love Exeter, and you guys (or you) are doing things totally the right way. I don't mind waiting for new episodes, or parts of episodes, if the quality is high, because I'd rather have quality and substance over something rushed any day.

18. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's excellent also, great job. Hope to see more (when it is finished... ;) )

I also love the use of the old Trek riff as the theme song, brilliant.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks, guys. :)

On the Polaris front, our initial stage space seems to be a little shaky and I'm spending the holiday weekend looking at "plan B" warehouse availability around the DC metro area.

20. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

So, has Act IV of TTI been released yet?