Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Robert Comsol, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That does gives us options. Each cabin could be unique in what features they have in addition to the standard two rooms and two doors with the spinning mirror/cabinet.

As to Spock's cabin in "Amok Time" - there is room for a small toilet room next to the spinning mirror/cabinet. The camera never looks towards the "bedroom" door wall area. Perhaps it's a shared bathroom? since that door doesn't have a sign on the outside signifying it is Spock's cabin? I think in other scenes, both doors that have access to the cabin have a wall sign on it...?

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Hmm...maybe a part of the spinning cabinet has a toilet seat.
    One third is mirror section with the drawers, one third is a closed wall, the last third is unknown (maybe Spock felt in "The Conscience of the King" that the toilet section wasn't the part where the phaser on overload could have possibly been hidden ;)).

It's really stupid that starting with Season Two they didn't put the "bathroom door" on the opposite side of the quarters set. It somehow looks odd that all the quarters have one adjacent room with a yellow door to the left that doesn't appear to be connected with the quarters. Maybe it's an ultrasonic shower cabin most officers have to share (Kirk and McCoy probably didn't give up their 'Hilton suites' on Deck 12 without a fight :D).

Bob

3. Robert Comsol

You seem to have a talent for understatement ;). I just revisited the WIP Enterprise thread of blssdwlf because of the phaser control room and eventually found this: http://startrekhistory.com/DS4.html

Thus, in "The Corbomite Maneuver" the "bathroom door" of Kirk's cabin was actually a closet door. Fascinating, I didn't know.

Bob

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, that's the scene I was thinking of. The link is actually in my earlier post too. Obviously a bit buried! ;)

5. Robert Comsol

No, it's in broad daylight and apparently I didn't pay attention, so I'm the one to blame :sigh:. Please accept my apologies!

Bob

6. Robert Comsol

I hope you all had a good start into 2013. I used the holidays to re-think and re-evaluate the first drafts presented in 2012 and would like to thank everybody for providing constructive criticism, inspiration and support. :techman:

Realizing there aren’t that many obstacles to keep these plans “screen-accurate” enabled me to try a different approach – which I think not only works but also does look much better, but you'll be the judges of that.

Here’s Round Two of this blueprinting project and it is just coincidence that 2013 begins with Engineering Deck 13: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qlk0u36z...neering Deck 13 Uncompressed Version 3.01.JPG

In the first draft I tried (too hard) to keep the corridors extending from the corridor circle (surrounding the antimatter pod and the matter-antimatter reactor # 3) screen-accurate which resulted in too many diagonal corridors or turbo shafts within the basic rectangular shape of the ship’s engineering hull.

Therefore my first new approach was to align the corridor - Commodore Decker used in “Doomsday Machine” to get to the shuttlecraft - with the central axis (this inevitably pushed the corridor used in “The Immunity Syndrome” further to the stern but I don’t think that’s going to be a problem) at "3 o’clock".

I was concerned that the turbo shaft (5 o'clock) would push the port side window cabins (6 o’clock) out of alignment but that concern was unfounded: Another look at “Mudd’s Women” and the scene where they entered turbo lift 7 through an “A-frame” on E-Deck 14 or lower (to see Kirk in his provisional quarters on E-Deck 12) revealed that the A-frame should be adjacent to these port side cabins: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x06hd/muddswomenhd119.jpg

Contrary to Kirk’s and Janice’s quarters on E-Deck 12, there is no visual evidence of a corridor intersection between the cabin of Mudd (“3F 125” on E-Deck 13) or McCoy’s in “The Man Trap” (“3F 127” on E-Deck 12) and the adjacent turbo lift on the port side.

I think the port side horizontal turbo shaft, now running parallel to the central axis, is another improvement compared to the first draft.
    The angled-in hangar access corridor from the starboard side (“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”) has now moved to the port side, freeing up extra space on the starboard side for shuttlecraft storage and/or else (I assume the structure overhead in the hangar bay, seen during a short camera pan in TOS “Journey to Babel”, to be part of a shuttlecraft transportation system to lift the shuttles from storage into the bay for flight preparation / refueling or repair / maintenance).

Since E-Deck 12 will soon see the addition of a forward main sensor-deflector engine room, I reconsidered aligning its adjacent corridors with those below.

As a result the outer and long circular bow corridors from the first draft are gone, and the remaining shorter section is closer to the main circular corridor.

Nomad's “top security cell” (Kirk) from “The Changeling” was shot in such a fashion that this (Season Two) corridor can be turned 180° to make it compatible with the Season One corridor, a gift from the DP of this episode I couldn’t reject. :luvlove:

Even for a top security area I felt a medical ward useful and thought of the one from “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. The section with the beds aligns nicely with the adjacent corridor (much shorter now and allowing various rectangular room configurations towards the bow).

Apparently, Charlie Evans’ cell has been reduced in depth, but the only thing that has gone missing is the bed behind the room divider. Strictly technical speaking it should be there according to the original Season One studio set plans, but a) in the actual episode we never really saw what’s behind the room divider and b) in real life you’d make sure that there are no blind spots in a prison cell. I’ve taken the artistic liberty to relocate the bed where you’d expect to find it and in plain sight… :D
    However, there may be good reason to locate the prison cell seen in "Charlie X" elsewhere...

Where I found myself between a rock and a hard place was how to assign the corridor segments with the intersections (i.e. the outer corridor at 9 o’clock versus the main corridor at 12 o’clock). :confused:

One should go to “Charlie X” (Charlie’s security cell) and the other to “Dagger of the Mind” (where Dr. Van Gelder knocks down the security crewman), both corridor segments are easily distinguished because of the black (“Charlie X”: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x02hd/charliexhd481.jpg) or blue (“Dagger of the Mind”: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x09hd/daggerofthemindhd064.jpg) door signs.

Admittedly, the “Science Library” makes lesser sense in the top security area but to sacrifice the only 6’ wide panoramic window on this deck for the “Computer Statistics” room seemed such a crime, that I did rather choose to interpret the indiscernible “Cnmmnter” (http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x02hd/charliexhd476.jpg) as “Commander” and thus as the cabin (there’s a cabin number below!) of the Enterprise’s head of security during “Charlie X”, possibly a predecessor to Commander Giotto (“The Devil in the Dark”).

The demise of a previous head of security (with a longer name than "Giotto" on that door sign) - there were nine fatalities in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - would explain the temporary assignment of Lieutenant Cmdr. Kelowitz in this position prior to the first appearance of Giotto. Of course, we'd have one more redshirt to add to the infamous fatality list. :devil:

Bob

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. Mytran

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. Robert Comsol

May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your house, Mytran! Thanks (You know what to do, once I posted the revision of E-Deck 14? ;)).

Some quick upgrades on E-Deck 13 that came up in the meantime that didn't make it to the draft illustrated:

A) corridor "to" antimatter-pod at 11 o'clock will become access corridor used by Scotty and crew in "That Which Survives" to the antimatter-pod connection crawlway used by Scotty to stop the antimatter from "leaking" uncontrolled into reactor # 3 above.

B) corridor from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" will move to E-Deck 11 and become the angular end of the WNM corridor (E-Deck 10 first draft) leading to the flight deck.

Possibly the flight deck will take on a green illumination once fully pressured (?!)
    Although we have seen the hangar deck after arrival in "Journey to Babel" and prior to departure in "The Immunity Syndrome" there was never a hint of green illumination like in "Let That Be..."

And there's proably no need to store the shuttlecraft Lokai stole from Starbase 4 in the ship's "garage" as it's probably returned at the earliest next convenience. ;)

Bob

9. Just a Bill

Just a Bill Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Fascinating thread. Love the approach. I've been following this for a week or so and just signed up today.

At risk of embarrassing myself by putting ignorance on display and/or rehashing something already said in the miles of conversations I haven't had time to read yet, I will nonetheless forge ahead with my neophytic attempt at a contribution:

If shuttlecraft capacity is an issue, I believe (if memory serves) that the rotator platform in the center of the hangar deck is also an elevator, in theory providing the necessary storage space on the deck below. Doug Drexler's cutaway diagram seems to supports this.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/1701-cutaway/

And now a multipart question: I've found a couple of Jefferies' studio set plans, but have not yet seen anything with differing corridor radii. Did we actually see significant differences in curvature on screen? Were any of the set walls moveable? Is the diameter of the "outer" circular corridor you're working with speculative?

10. Robert Comsol

@ Just a Bill

Thanks for your kind words and don't worry. I'm myself relatively new and sometimes I'm equally in the dark, whether something has already abundantly discussed or not.

This thread has been inspired / encouraged by blssdwlf, who apparently has CGI talents I can only dream of (for now) and a similar thread, here's the link to his thread's page where I attempted a summary (for newcomers like you and myself): http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119751&page=35

Despite mutual goals there are some differences in our approaches, but we do agree that in TOS we've seen the flight deck (where the shuttles do land) and in contrast the hangar deck (where we saw these beeing boarded or left).

In my deck plan drafts the flight deck would be E-Deck 11 and the hangar deck E-Deck 13 (you've 'just' seen here).

To answer your question: Yes, the diameter of the outer (main) corridor in my drafts is a tweak ("speculative") of the original studio set's diameter, unfortunate but inevitable: Circular corridors in the engineering hull do exist, but especially on "Deck 12" we have the regular (studio set) corridor with adjacent cabins with windows! As for possible evidence of production intent to present the (same) rigid studio set throughout multiple locations aboard the Enterprise with different corridor curvatures I recommend you read the introduction to this thread. ;)

I'm about to post the revised draft for E-Deck 14, after that and in the next days I will continue chronologically from E-Deck 12 to the top.

Bob

11. Robert Comsol

I must say that the down below transporter rooms from “Mudd’s Women” and “Dagger of the Mind” have caused me considerable headaches right from the start, because the transporter room studio set is a rectangular room that inevitably demands a corresponding positioning in a rectangular hull like the engineering one.

The previous draft of E-Deck 14 tried to realize a corresponding positioning but didn’t really look great. My first aim for the revision was to clear the stern area of corridors that might limit the height of structures associated with the hull’s bottom hatches.

These won’t really go much higher than the floor of the Hangar Deck but that’s reason enough to at least keep the rear space below E-Deck 13 free of obstacles.

Here is the revision of Engineering Deck 14: https://www.dropbox.com/s/six8x5jjdmlqzti/USS%20Enterprise%20Engineering%20Deck%2014%20Uncompressed%20Version%203.01.JPG

One of the transporter rooms I felt was absolutely necessary to locate down below was the (first) transporter room in “Tomorrow Is Yesterday” where Captain Christopher arrived.

The turbo lift travel times may not be a reliable indicator, but it took Captain Christopher and Captain Kirk 45 seconds to get from the closest transporter room turbo lift to the bridge! http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x19hd/tomorrowisyesterdayhd106.jpg

In comparison, it took Kirk, Spock and Scotty only 43 seconds to get from a deck below the engine room in the engineering hull to the bridge in “By Any Other Name” and part of this was horizontal travel compared to vertical / diagonal travel only in Kirk’s and Christopher’s case!

In my transporter room thread Timo was on to something (as usual, one might want to add), wondering if the door opposite the transporter room might lead to another transporter room facing the other way (to explain the erratic routes: sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes both – arriving from the right, leaving to the left or vice versa).

Apparently Timo’s essential idea is quite correct but it appears the transporter rooms are on opposite sides of the engineering hull as this arrangement solves a multitude of riddles I previously encountered (additionally, the central axis corridor - not yet illustrated - has to connect near the bow to the port side transporter room corridor to explain the movement of Kirk and Dr. van Gelder in “Dagger of the Mind”).

It even accommodates the transporter room from “Where No Man Has Gone Before / WNM” (just in case I won’t find a suitable location in the saucer :D) on the starboard side, opposite the old one from “The Cage” on the port side (which I had always believed to be below in the engineering hull - in Pike’s days an energy consuming device that required immense power from the adjacent and able bulk of machinery).

The existence of only these two transporter rooms in the beginning (one “transporter section”) might also explain why the door signs of the other transporter rooms (in the saucer) don’t come with room numbers – like the briefing rooms do (i.e. before TAS)!

However, the biggest boost to solve this riddle came from the forward main sensor-deflector engine room (e.g. “Journey to Babel”) idea that has been discussed in another thread.

We have seen this enigmatic power column connecting the engine room to the transporter system in “The Enemy Within” (and aboard the Constellation in “The Doomsday-Machine”).

More importantly, to make this connection in the forward main sensor-deflector engine room, makes perfect sense to me, considering that this engine room either powers the deflector shields OR the transporter system (!!!).

Of course, “Mudd’s Women” was a one time reckless exception where the Enterprise extended her deflector shields AND attempted to transport passengers within the shield’s protective area. No wonder the dilithium circuits burned out under that kind of stress… :rolleyes:

Bob

P.S.

Interesting detail: The WNM transporter room has a door label above saying "Transporter" and the room number "3C 46". Two decks above and almost over the same spot will be Janice's Cabin from "The Enemy Within" - which happens to be cabin "3C 46". At least the alphabetic sections seem to correspond.

P.P.S.
    Sorry, didn't write "bottom" on this deck plan. A Freudian lapse, apparently...

12. Mytran

Here you go!
    [​IMG]

13. Robert Comsol

Thanks Mytran, you interpreted my quote from Michael Ironside correctly. ;)

Bob

14. Robert Comsol

Engineering Deck 12 (Version 3.01 / 130112)
    (click on for illustration)

I dare to say that the revision of E-Deck 12 is quite a paradigm shift from the first draft and was rather time consuming (though it probably doesn’t show):

Part I:

The Main Sensor-Deflector Engine Room, is, of course, the only canonical location for the engine room ever revealed in TOS (by the alien entity seen leaving the ship in “Day of the Dove” – TOS-R put it further to the stern but I’ll have an engine room there on E-Deck 9, too, so it’s going to be up to the viewer where he wants to see the entity leave…:D).

And first discussed here, “The Immunity Syndrome” definitely suggested an engine room with a power pipe ‘cathdral’ facing the bow! (Though it’s difficult to see from Scotty’s point of view in the - for this one time occasion redressed - Emergency Manual Monitor set, every fan has a pretty good idea where the cathedral is and where the entry to this engine room would or should be).

As illustrated the forced perspective of the cathedral (this is the only time I will not ‘unforce’ the perspective), i.e. actual proportions of the studio set, works rather well extending into the main sensor-deflector, but the actual leveling should make alignment between the innermost sensor-deflector ring and the “ceiling struts” of this engine room possible: http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3616979539/in/photostream/

Next to “The Immunity Syndrome” I’d only be sure we’ve seen this one in “Journey to Babel”, too, especially since we never saw the starboard side walls of this engine room, which enabled me to keep Yeoman Rand’s “Deck 12” cabin (now at 10 o’clock) from “The Enemy Within”. Apparently, the WNM corridor angle on the starboard side still needs to move further to the center to
    a) enable Janice at least to have a “Corbomite Maneuver” wall closet,
    b) to align the WNM ladder booth better with the corridor line and
    c) to make a straight extension to the 10 o’clock turbo lift possible (although I don’t know yet, if I can put this “offer” to good use, on E-Deck 10 perhaps).

The great thing about “The Enemy Within” is that the Season Two corridor can stay essentially as it is, because the shots outside Rand’s Deck 12 cabin don’t reveal that many details to make an “upgrade rationalization” necessary (except the missing yellow door near the 8 o’clock turbo lift).

For the Karidian’s guest quarters from “The Conscience of the King” I didn’t find a better place, but changed its rotation and did some original set reconstruction (two “Pike shelves” facing each other).

Having relocated Harry Mudd’s cabin to E-Deck 13, Dr. McCoy can now have his provisional cabin (with the window above his bed) from “The Man Trap” on the port side while Captain Kirk’s provisional cabin has remained on the starboard side.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the less I’m happy with Commodore Decker’s corridor on E-Deck 13 and I think to make this one diagonal will not only be the accurate way, but will also better visualize the function of these A-frame related panels I believe to be some kind of radiation protection screens (the shuttlecrafts’ fuel is radioactive). Inevitably I shall loose turbo shaft alignment in the 4 o’clock area.

And last but not least, the corridor in the intersection close to Kirk’s provisional cabin extended rather deep into the core area, as seen in “The Enemy Within” thus accuracy demanded to reproduce it accordingly (interesting riddle: was he on his way to an adjacent restroom to wash off the blood stains or did he want to hide in the engineering compartment behind the other yellow door?). ;)

I have to admit that I had first intended to relocate the electro-plasma (EPS) primary relay (from the first draft on E-Deck 10) - suggested by the second part of the ENT episode “In A Mirror, Darkly” which took place aboard the USS Defiant (NCC-1764) – there anyway, so the aforementioned corridor near Kirk’s cabin decided the orientation…

One of the bigger deviations from the first draft is what I’d now like to refer to as the reactor core which more and more took the shape of a pre-TMP and pre-TNG vertical “warp core” (a predecessor, in essence), but I will get to this in Part II of a following text comment to describe my theory.

Bob

15. Mytran

Very interesting the direction your main reactor is taking! Looking forward to part 2...

[​IMG]

16. Robert Comsol

Thanks Mytran, again. Here is the Engineering Deck 12 commentary

Part II:

Before I get to the EPS relay chamber now relocated on E-Deck 12, I’d like to take a deeper look at the Enterprise’s matter-antimatter reactors, but you may of course feel free to fast forward to the bottom. ;)

Three matter-antimatter reactors aboard USS Enterprise according to TOS

According to blssdwlf’s exemplary extrapolation and according to “Catspaw” the Enterprise apparently has three M-AM reactors, one in each of the warp nacelles and one in the engineering hull, which is probably “reactor number three” where Spock located the alien entity in “Day of the Dove”.

The strongest evidence for this third M-AM reactor (i.e. one that's not part of the nacelles) came from “That Which Survives”: “Watkins must've been murdered. I sent him in to check the matter-antimatter reactor.” (Scotty)

In this episode the A.I. Losira sabotages the reactor controls, thus antimatter from the antimatter pod streams into the reactor and apparently the fail-safe mechanisms of the Enterprise automatically inject matter into the reactor. This results in an overabundant output of warp drive energy channeled to the nacelles, which needs to be stopped before the overload is tearing the nacelles and the ship apart: “It's a power surge. I'm working on it. Reduce speed until I locate the trouble.” ... “The engines are running wild. There's no way to get at them. We should reach maximum overload in about fifteen minutes.” (Scotty)

One option is to jettison the “(antimatter) pod” to stop the antimatter input and apparently the service crawlway with Scotty would be jettisoned as well: “Please do not take your eyes off of it. Lieutenant Rahda, arm the pod jettison system.” (Spock) “Aye, sir. I'll jettison the pod at the first sign of trouble.” (Lt. Rahda)

As we learned earlier in this episode the crawlway is close to the matter-antimatter reactor: “As I recall the pattern of our fuel flow, there is an access tube leading to the matter-antimatter reaction chamber.” (Spock)
    ”There's a service crawlway, but it's not meant to be used while the integrator operates.” (Scotty)

Fortunately Spock only “recalls”, i.e. (vaguely) remembers that the access tube leads to the reaction chamber, but apparently that isn’t the case: Only Scotty in the crawlway and the antimatter pod would have been jettisoned, not necessarily the entire reactor (though I have no doubt that were possible, should containment of the reactor chamber ever fail).

I further believe this antimatter pod to be a unique design addition (Lawrence Marvick?) to the 17th cruiser design like the Enterprise and her sister ships, as the USS Constellation (“The Doomsday-Machine”) probably didn’t have (yet) such an extra antimatter pod: “We made a complete check on structural and control damage, sir. As far as we can tell, something crashed through the deflectors and knocked out the generators. Somehow the antimatter in the warp drive pods has been deactivated.” (Washburn)

Obviously Washburn refers to the antimatter pods in the nacelles or the antimatter stored in the warp drive “pods” (nacelles).

If there were a third antimatter pod in the Constellation’s engineering hull, it would be odd that he failed to report its condition (equally rendered inert?).

Alternately there may have been a reactor inside the Constellation that drew exclusively antimatter from the nacelles, but – of course – couldn’t be put to use because its fuel had been “deactivated”. In the light of Scotty’s first assessment (nacelle caps gone, warp engine function theoretically possible, condition of antimatter unknown) this appears to be the case.

The enigmatic “energizers” – energize what?

I’m currently (only) aware of two circumstances where the Enterprise’s “energizers” were knocked out during a space battle and explicitly mentioned as such:

1. Khan’s sneak attack on Spock’s Enterprise in TWOK apparently targeted these important components (Scotty: “Main energizers out!”) and thus deprived the Enterprise of her warp and shield power.
    2. Previously, the TOS Enterprise’s energizers were knocked out during the battle with the planet killer in “The Doomsday Machine”:

"Sir, deflector shields are gone." (Spock to Decker)
    Palmer to Spock: "Sir, Deck seven reports power failure in main energizers. Implementing emergency procedures. Severe casualties reported on decks three and four. Damage control party sealing off inner hull rupture."
    Spock: "It has ceased fire. We're being held in a tractor beam. We're being pulled inside, Commodore. You must veer off."
    Decker: "Maintain phaser fire, helmsman."
    Spock: "We have lost warp power. If we don't break the tractor beam within sixty seconds, we never will."

Apparently the main energizers are located in or near Deck 7 (Engineering Control Room on Main Deck 7 or E-Deck 7, provided that Main Deck 7 already has a nickname?), their failure subsequently resulted in the loss of the deflector shields and warp power and instant phaser energy (opposite to slowly “charging” the phaser banks).

IMHO, the energizers' failure let to a momentarily shutdown of one or all of the matter-antimatter reactors as it is their energy output that enables deflector shields, warp power and instant phaser fire (though, oddly, in “Elaan of Troyius” the dilithium crystal converter assembly had been sabotaged and no phaser energy at all was available but power for the deflectors :confused:).

The energizers therefore play an important role in the ship’s power infrastructure, but which one exactly?

The term “energizer” itself is rather general and vague and the TOS scriptwriters were most definitely not inspired by our famous Energizer Batteries, because this brand name was not established before 1980 (of course, we can’t exclude the possibility that Energizer Holdings will continue to flourish until the 23rd Century by which time “energizer” has become the colloquial term for any kind of battery - especially since according to “Mudd’s Women” it’s possible to “energize” in the transporter room by means of the ship’s reserve and battery power). :D

Looking for an analogy we all know that battery power is essential to start the combustion engine in our automobiles and it could appear that the “energizers” aboard a starship essentially perform the same function. As to their appearance I assume these to look like these giant GNDN (“Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing”) props we’ve seen so often and differently aligned in the TOS engine rooms. I’d like to believe these to be fusion reactors and a cut scene from “The Enemy Within” (Contributors Part 1) shows two engineering crewmen with portable radiation counters – something you’d expect to see in the vicinity of reactors.

Some time ago I mentioned that I believe those wall elements seen in “In A Mirror, Darkly” to be TOS next generation (i.e. Defiant style) energizers. In the new draft of E-Deck 12 these not only provide “battery power” to the transporters (on E-Deck 14 if necessary) but also heat up the antimatter (You can’t mix matter and antimatter cold according to Scotty in “The Naked Time”) and help start the matter-antimatter reactors aboard a starship and continue to assist the matter-antimatter reactor/s during operation.

While the (old TOS style) EPS relay chamber aboard the Enterprise would look somewhat differently, the screencap from the ENT episode “In A Mirror, Darkly” conveys the basic idea: The energizers / fusion reactors seen here channel the fusion plasma into distribution conduits on the floor (apparently with some noticeable and typical blue Cherenkov radiation glow we usually notice in offline warp plasma conduits like “The Tholian Web”

The “Primary EPS relays” seem to function as fuses or spark plugs to “ignite” the matter-antimatter reactor and spur it into action. The events depicted in this ENT episode seem to support the theory:

Plugged back into their assembly sockets the primary EPS relays immediately enabled the USS Defiant to raise deflector shields and to instantly open phaser fire at the mirror universe USS Avenger.

Although I’m not a friend of retcon maneuvers, this particular one did help me to understand a possible working principle that previously had remained largely unaddressed, IMHO.

Please feel free to add comments or issues I may have overlooked.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. blssdwlf

Regarding "energizers", they're likely anything that provides energy to any shipboard system. In the modern navy and industrial terminology, "energizing" or to "energize" equipment means to power equipment with electricity.

The Enterprise has been referred to having "main energizers" and what I would imagine as some kind emergency or auxiliary energizers (aka "auxiliary power" as Saavik switches to that after losing the main energizer during a simulation in ST2.)

I don't believe the energizers would be directly used to heat up antimatter though. Instead the energizers would energize the antimatter thermal regulators :) YMMV.

18. Mytran

19. Robert Comsol

In TOS the deflector shield generators appear definitely to be such equipment. In the "Doomsday-Machine" Spock reports the loss of deflector shields (there seems to be a distinction between the main deflector keeping space debris out of the ship's flight path and individual shields that protect certain sections of the ship) and the next moment Lt. Palmer, apparently, tells the reason (power failure in main energizers).
    Combined with the information from "Elaan of Troyius" it would appear that deflector shield power doesn't necessarily require energy from a M-AM reactor.

Following the scene there is another hit on the Enterprise. Whether the loss of warp and instant phaser power is due to this hit or the aforementioned main energizer power failure could be debated, but I think that power loss is also due to the main energizer power failure.

I presume the output of these energizers to be this enigmatic "battery", "reserve" or "auxilary" power but that doesn't mean that the energizers' output is only limited to 'secondary' energy.

If the energizers are fusion reactors whose plasma (several million degrees hot) is used straight as the matter fuel for the M-AM reactor, there wouldn't be the need to heat up the matter reactants.
    With the antimatter that would be a different issue and the unanswered question - that's bugging me for a long time - is, whether you couldn't preheat antimatter by simply putting it into a fusion reactor, too (add to this you'd probably get some extra antimatter fusion energy output in the process). :D

Bob

P.S. @ Mytran

The Season One engine room ceiling was another reason why I felt this cut scene shot was definitely worth mentioning. ;)

20. blssdwlf

IMHO, any power source individually or in combination ( charged crystal power, M/AM direct via bypass, auxiliary power, and emergency battery power ) could be used to operate any machinery like the warp or impulse engines, energize the transporters, fire the phasers and power the shields.

The "main" energizers would be where the crystals are as they would handle all the high-powered energy transfer while the auxiliary or emergency energizers would lack the extra buffering and load capacity of the "mains". YMMV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.