There is no Clara Oswald, there never was

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by FreddyE, Oct 27, 2014.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The Tenth Doctor meets Jackson Lake on Christmas Eve 1851 in "The Next Doctor."

The Paternoster Gang and nearly all the scenes in that era featuring them are around 1892 (per "The Snowmen") so there's roughly 50 years difference. "The Crimson Horror" story is set a year later (or just after the events of "The Snowmen") in 1893.

In between, the Ninth Doctor takes Rose to Cardiff, 1869 (by mistake) in "The Unquiet Dead" and later, Ten takes Rose to Scotland in 1879, again by mistake, in "Tooth and Claw." The Eleventh Doctor takes Amy to meet Vincent Van Gogh in 1890 France in "Vincent and the Doctor."

There's nothing online listing a specific year for "Deep Breath" but everything I've just read (in my admittedly cursory search) says 'late Victorian London" so we can probably safely posit that it is set sometime after "The Crimson Horror."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The astronaut in 'Listen' only said an ancestor of his traveled in time. So for all we know it could have just been Danny that traveled in time, does not mean that Clara was is greet grandmother.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The travel route was genetically locked to Clara's DNA.

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

In a newly released official photo we now see Capaldi holding a 1968 version Cyberman head, with Cybermen coming down St Pauls steps. Homage to The Invasion or plot point perhaps?

5. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

^Plus UNIT's in this one too. That story gets referenced a lot it seems even in the classic series.

From what looks like the plot though I'm starting to think the story might end up a bit too similar to Army Of Ghosts.

6. Candlelight

Anyone notice Clara stepping out of what looked like a cell to speak to the Cyberman?

7. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Maybe the Cybermean head is Handles Mark II or something :)

I'm kind of curious about the skeletal hand pushing the button.

There's also a possibility I think that this might be a possible version of River, with her somehow uploading souls into the library or something after their death (After all that's kind of what happened in those episodes if I recall). After all, River is sort of time lordish, maybe Missy is her "Valeyard" or something. Just speculation though.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

So here is the "so who the f**k is Clara, who the f**k is Missy" thread eh?

Well here is who neither of them are, for starters: -

1. River
    2. The flipping Rani
    3. My left bollock in a dress.

I might be willing to buy these for Missy, but very unlikely...

1. The Master
    2. The Valeyard
    3. The Black Guardian

As frankly going back to the Great Intelligence just didn't work did it? Not that I didn't like Series 7, but he was a non-happening.

So, more likely identity for Missy...

1. Shes an older, screwed up version of a Clara copy, but seeing she "chose" Clara I doubt it would work.
    2. She is death or God or something masquerading as either, who arranged Clara's existence (by shaking a tree) and meeting the Doctor (by giving her his number) after all, he was only looking for her because her fragments were already part of his life, wibbly wobbly etc.
    3. She is something else that summarises the themes of this series, Robots, The Doctor being a jerk, Death, Soldiers, the secret guilt of Danny Pink.

Initial reviews are very positive, I'm looking forward to this weekend! :)

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

No good without pictures :lol:

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure about the god aspect. Afterall, Missy said she "choose" well, not created a good one. So, she didn't bring Clara into existence. Perhaps she choose another version of herself whom she thought would work well given that copy's own history?

Mr Awe

11. Candlelight

She's some aspect of Death. Some form of soul collector but for what reason I can't tell.

Unless she's collecting souls for Cybermen...

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember, there were billions of Clara across space time to choose from... Each one as real as the next who could be splintered into all of the Clara's who fought the intelligence.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I forget the series of novels (maybe someone knows), but it reminds me of a series where there was a time war and the strategy was that just before someone would die they'd be rescued by one side. The person would be offered a chance to live but they'd have to fight for that side.

Subtract the time war aspect, I wonder if Missy recruits for the Cybermen by time traveling and acquiring people just before the moment they die? You can live but you have to be a Cyberman or Cyberwoman? Maybe that's how they get to "heaven". Kind of like what the Doctor did for Blue Journey.

Mr Awe

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That line was the best part of last week's episode. It's made me think that Missy is the first incarnation of Clara, which would mean she's a Master or The Great Intelligence.

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

There is no Clara...there is only Zuul.

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

That line is a Moffatt misdirect.

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

If there i s no Clara Oswald and never was, then why have I been suffering thru this last 1 and 1/2 seasons?

19. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I usually turn off before the "next on doctor who", so I can enjoy it unspoiled. I still read the titles of the speculation threads on forums like these and comments in the other threads but anyhow...

To me this is a typical Moffat thing. At first he builds up a huge expectation (like with the "the doctor dies" thing) but there is hardly ever anything behind it and it turns out to be a dissapointment.

I think this a kind of cheating.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Meh. At this point I know Moffat's tropes pretty well, so I knew right away that the whole "Clara Oswald has never existed" thing wouldn't lead anywhere significant.