Release of "Kitumba" (and "The Holiest Thing")

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, Nov 24, 2013.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Star Trek: Phase II is announcing the planned release dates for our next two fan-produced episodes.

We have selected January 1, 2014, as the release date for the complete (and long awaited) episode “Kitumba,” in what will likely be Mr. James Cawley’s final turn in the role of “Captain Kirk.” So while most folks will be watching parades and football games, you can pull up a chair in front of your computer screen and watch Kirk do battle the Klingons.

We’ve also earmarked February 14, 2014, as the release date for “The Holiest Thing.” If all go as planned you’ll be able to spend Saint Valentine’s Day watching Mr. Brian Gross’ first full outing in the “Captain Kirk” role. We’ll meet Dr. Carol Marcus as she helps to investigate the cause of a scientific disaster.

As always, comments and questions are always welcome. Discussion is encouraged.

2. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

Brilliant, thank you for the information, going to be 2 great days of the year, cannot wait

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Great news, Greg! Thanks for sharing this. :)

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Oh you don't have to watch them on just those two days; you can watch them over and over again throughout the year.

5. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

oh i shall for definitely

6. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

here's a discussion.... JML wrote a two part "writer's draft" of a script to give us the "first look" at the Klingon culture and homeworld. He based them on feudal Japan. As we've seen them since TOS in feature films and later series, it ran smack dab against continuity. For Phase II James' only request was "an extended length episode".

I took the basic premise...Kirk and ship travel secretly to the Klingon homeworld to stop an impending war - and took a chance by writing a completely different story surrounding this mission. Part of it, of course, was to tie it to existing canon...and I tried to explain what happened to our TOS Klingons to make them act like the FF Klingons. (I also raised the age of the emperor by about 10 years) James liked it (better, in fact, than alternate versions offered to him) so that is what you will see here....

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

In the past, Phase II episodes were released in the order they were shot. Kitumba will continue to fit that, but The Holiest Thing will not. Should I (at Star Trek Reviewed) treat The Holiest Thing as the episode that follows Kitumba, or will the other episodes be inserted first in the order? OR, don't you know just yet? Thanks for speculating.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for those dates Greg. Looking forward to downloading then viewing them.

9. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Patty Wright did indeed do an adaptation of JML'S story and I for one will be happy when it gets released. It has been an incredibly difficult process of getting to the finish line due to many different circumstances. I hope the end result is at least a viewing pleasure for some of you. This also marks the final contribution by Patty Wright for Phase II, and Cawley Entertainment.
    We all, Especially myself wish her nothing but good luck and Best Wishes to her in all her future endeavors!

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Finally! I mean that in the best possible way! Thank you guys for all of your hard work. It is much appreciated. :D

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Awesome, looking forward to seeing both (and Bread & Savagery once it comes out).

If everything that's currently "scheduled" comes out on time, 2014 could be the best year for TOS-era fan films yet.

12. PattyW

hmm.... a somewhat unfortunate choice of words LOL We did mutually agree "Kitumba" would be my final script for Phase II - with "Mind Sifter" being penned by someone else.

However, I suspect my "contributions" to future Phase II releases will NOT be scrapped. If they toss out the costumes/makeup/props/set dressings I designed, built or got donated there would be a whole lot of naked people walking around the ship and Magna Roma..... I just won't be participating in their future endeavors. I'll just be a fan looking forward to their releases from now on.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If this isn't a great holiday treat for the fans, I don't know what is!

Thanks for the info, Greg. As ever, your posts have bee informative, eloquent and enjoyable. Looking forward to both episodes' release!

Does this mean you will continue to be making costumes, designing props, and dressing sets for Phase II? Because if not, I don't see any reason why what James said could be construed as an "unfortunate choice of words." It sounds more like he was acknowledging both your contributions to the production and confirming your mutual parting of the ways. Am I misreading that?

14. PattyW

well he said KITUMBA "marked my last contribution to Phase II." That is not true. "The Holiest Thing" marks my last contribution to Phase II. (as the November shoot I assisted with was BAS again) I did the script breakdown, the scheduling, re-created the Bill Theiss top we used for Marcus, designed and built the rest of Marcus' clothes, helped with the arboritum set and pre shoot coordination/lodging, etc. So "The Holiest Thing" marks my last "active" contribution. They'll still be using the costumes I made and/or bought, the makeup I got donated, etc.

James' intention was as you said - it just was an unfortunate choice of words as it eliminated/discounted all my contributions after "Kitumba" - which I am certain he didn't intend.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. :)