New UK (& Other?) Partwork - Official Star Trek Starship Collection

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, May 31, 2012.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Re: New UK (& Other?) Partwork - Official Star Trek Starship Collectio

No. Is that the only reason you've come in here Chris?

2. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Think so, no luck up in Lincoln.

3. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh, I posted it here because I frequent this part of Trek BBS most of all; have never been in Fan Art, and it didn't seem appropriate for "General Trek Discussion".

And the magazine, I believe, qualifies it!

Oh, and for those that have got it, be careful putting the ship on its supplied stand! Maybe it was late and I was tired, but it wasn't easy!

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That seems to be the case, I asked in Forbidden Planet in nottingham Tuesday and the guy hadn't heard about it (though he was very interested once I told him) he said it was probably being trialed in one area like you said.

This does explain why there haven't been ads on the telly at least! I did wonder if I was going mad for a while.

5. Brefugee

It may just be a Swindon thing then and damned if I'm going to Swindon for this.

I've been into the Smiths in Bath and Chippenham, asked for the magazine and both times, the GA hadn't a clue as to what I was on about.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ah, and Memory Alpha says, "Formed in 2011 from the merger of Eaglemoss Publications and GE Fabbri, the company focuses on 'partwork' magazines."

IIRC, GE Fabbri didn't have much of a web presence either. However, there is now an online shop, and a "notify me by email" facility, which would be a way to keep tabs on a wider UK release.
    http://eaglemoss.com/

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've tried 3 of my local WHSmith branches, none of them have it. But as you say sometimes partworks initially come out in a limited area before going national.

And as there have been no ads that I've seen this might be the case. As you would think the best place to place the ad would be around ST and other Sci-Fi shows.

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I live in the US, so I sadly can't get in on this offer... which is a shame really, because I have disposible income for the first time in many years and have always wanted some nice Star Trek Ship Models to replace the Joy I had from the Mirco Machines Days.

I recaptured some of that fun with the DieCast BSG ships... never did get them all though, bugger all they were hard to find.

9. Therin of Andor

Hero Clix ships?:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:aps,k:star trek heroclix&page=1

10. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

The problem with those is both the lack of models for anyone but Feds and Klinks at this point, and the teeny-weeny scale. Plus, all the sculpts there are just painted versions of the ships from Star Trek: Fleet Captains, which, unlike the HeroClix game, is an excellent Trek-themed strategy game. I bought Fleet Captains like a good little fanboy, but then when they told me to buy the exact same ships again, I told them to smeg off.

I'll likely just end up paying the exorbitant prices to get them whenever they come across Diamond.

11. chevron

chevron Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've just discovered this news tonight by accident via 8of5's website. I'm fairly sure that it is a trial in one part of the country but that hasn't stopped me subscribing. :)

I seem to remember subscribing to the similar star wars ship collection while it was a trial. There came a point where there were very long waits between issues when the magazine went nationwide in order to 'sync' up.

12. Mr. Domino

Does anyone know what material the ship models are made from? The previous Eaglemoss DC and Marvel collections were all something like Pewter I believe, which would certainly beat the hell out of most Trek models if these were that way as well.

13. chevron

chevron Lieutenant Red Shirt

The website said ABS. I had to look that up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

Now I want to read up on molecular chemistry!

PS I got an email confirming my subscription today. I think I'm subscriber number 136.

14. Mr. Domino

Hmm...knowing that, I'd really like to get my hands on one before fully committing (which, sadly, is not possible since I'm a damn yank). While I'm not specifically familiar with ABS, I've never liked Styrene for models - extremely light and brittle stuff.

15. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I own issue #1 - and seem to be the only person in the country! - I'm no expert on material, but the model feels pretty weighty. I cannot rate it highly enough, it looks really good. I was in Swindon (where I picked up #1) yesterday but didn't have time to pop to Smiths to see if #2 was in.

16. Brefugee

I've just been and asked in Smith's in Bath. Turns out it's a regional thing at the moment but not by actual Smith's regions (as Bath is in the same one as Swindon) but by distribution region so Bath doesn't have it.

So yeah, the publishers are testing the water and the bloke in Bath said it's testing till issue five, after that, fingers crossed it'll roll out nationwide.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Trek Survivor, you need to go and buy some more issues :)

18. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Technobuilder, I too still have many of the older MicroMachines as well. A few years back, some outfit called Johnny Lightning put out a handful of Trek ships, of which I found only 2:Voyager and the modified-Enterprise-D from "All Good Things". I have yet to see any more of the Johnny Lightning ships, but I haven't looked too hard for them. They're about "6" long or so. The Titanium Series of BSG ships were pretty good as well, heavily detailed. Do you happen to know if they produced a larger Pegasus, like they did with an "8" or "9" Galactica?

Therin, the HeroClix ships went fairly quickly. I don't know how much they're going for on eBay, but I did see only one of them in person, the Defiant. It was somewhat out of proportion, a little skinnier and longer and with less depth than I expected the ship to have. And IIRC the nacelles were parallel with the hull rather than tapering back like we know the ship to be.

19. Therin of Andor

Well, according to the link I provided, many are still in stock at Amazon.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Still awaiting my first delivery of the ships, just under the 21 days I have to allow for delivery