NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please settle a debate for me, The original Enterprise could not beat the D could it? My friend seems to think that the NX could use shield frequencies to disable the D but that cannot be right!

2. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

Your friend is WRONG in his/her assumption. The original Enterprise was built and commisioned in 2286. The Enterprise NCC-D was built commisioned in 2363, that's a total of 77 years of progress in weapons, shields, forcefields...ect. To put in current terms it's 2009, it would be like putting a current top of the line fighter against a top of the line 1932 biplane, no contest...

3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually he was taliking about Jonathan Archer's ship vs Picard's so it's even worse, he just won't listen though

4. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not even sure what he means. I guess that he's thinking of Lursa and B'Etor's sneak attack in "Generations".

I see a few obvious flaws in that assessment:
    A.) The Klingon's had an inside man (of sorts) to reveal the shield modulation. Archer would not.

B.) Archer and company are unfamiliar with shields, and thus shield modulation.

C.) The NX-01 has no shields, and a 'polarized hull' would probably not withstand a single phaser burst.

D.) The Enterprise-D, however, has been shown to laugh off attacks by primitive starships. Archer would be lucky if 'phase cannons' could peel the paint off of the 1701-D's hull.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

This is kind of silly. The ship can do whatever the writers make it do in that episode. Every Trek ship could beat any other one depending on the story.
    I'm sure if the NX-01 met the Mirror Universe Enterprise -E it would find a way to beat it....because in this instance the NX-01 is the hero ship.

6. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Of course the problem with your friend is he expects the NX-01 to be able to adjust their weapons to the D's shield frequencies - except the NX-01 doesn't have shields, so would not be 100% sure how they work.

And I'm sure every race they've encountered who've used shields has said "Well, thankfully you never found out how to rotate your weapon's frequencies."

Even the Duras Sisters had to rely on seeing through Geordie's Visor to rotate their weapons to match any frequency that he rotated the shields to!

7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is fucking lame.

8. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Use some common sense will you?
    We are talking about 2 ships that are 200 years apart in terms of technology.
    The Enterprise-D would be vastly superior to NX-01 and the rest of the Alpha quadrant of the mid 22nd century, and would be able to engage fleets of those ships and still come out on top (if MU episode of Enterprise is any indication, the 23rd century Constitution class 'Defiant' was safely protected by shields at all times even when it was under a barrage of more powerful 'warships' from Andorians and Vulcans).

The Enterprise-E doesn't even exist in MU from what we know, so i won't even commend on that one.

Yes, your point that the heroes do whatever the writers set them out to do is pretty much accurate ... but you yourself know that we are talking about writers that have issues merging highly advanced tech to work with drama (so they dumb the tech to make the drama flourish, which often fails and ends up insulting people as well).

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I know! It's the epitome of what non-fans would think we discuss here.

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

The NX-01 can only win by cheating... so the question is if Archer is really that smarter than Picard. :)

11. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Archer would incapacitate the command crew of the Enterprise-D with a boring speech about gazelles. Feeling compelled to listen due to his supposed place in history, they would thus be defeated.

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I doubt an Akira class could take on the D, much less it's K-car counterpart.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, first off, calm down.

Normally, I'd agree with you about this, as even a ship that's 10 years older is at a disadvantage. But I think he has a point here: after all, Voyager somehow, someway, managed to beat a fighter from the 29th Century. THAT is the equivalent of a Spanish Armada vessel, with its cannonballs and scimitars, beating an F-14, so really, it does depend on who's writing it. And seeing as how you agree that the writers have all the control, then you yourself know that they can do whatever they please without regard to the viewer's previous (often logical) knowledge or perception.

14. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, unable the listen one second more to a boring gazelle speech that is even more agony inducing than Vogon a poetry slam, the enemy commander would overload his warp core and blow up the ship to spare himself and his crew from any further pain and suffering.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

That's because Voyager has forward compatibility. :p

16. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If two salvaged birds of prey commanded by FERENGI can disable the Enterprise-D, any ship can beat it.

17. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I was perfectly calm at the time of writing that. Was merely trying to grab your attention. :)

Ah, but Voyager used it's main deflector dish to disable the Aeon.
    They used a specific pulse on a frequency sent right along the Aeon's sustained destructive beam.
    If there was a one on one battle with actual weapons, then the Aeon would have likely roasted Voyager (the pulse it was using on Voyager was doing some serious damage ... but it still provided Voyager with a window of opportunity since it was a sustained beam which the heroes used to disable the Aeon directly - a method often used by many species to deflect a direct assault as evidenced in other Trek shows and Voyager episodes if you recall).

The NX-01 is a very unsophisticated piece of tech compared to Voyager for example because by the time of late 24th century, Feds tech was sufficiently developed to allow for some leeway (mind you it's an iffy subject though since 500 years of tech difference is a LARGE gap) ... a method earlier ships would likely have an issue with.

18. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Well it largely depends on the story. I say that alot, I know but that's the only way to settle these kinds of debates.

Lets say terrorists steal a Galaxy Class ship. Your ship is the closest ship, but it is an NX-class that is part of a traveling history exhibit.

Well you aren't going to fly up, crack the shields and beam in your security team that's for sure. One hit from those phasers will overload your hull-plating and shut down most of your systems, if not absolutely vaporize portions of the hull. Torpedoes, same problem but worse. One hit and you are toast.

You have a functional (if very old) transporter, some old spatial torpedoes and of course your phase cannons... antimatter fuel, matter fuel and a shuttle... and of course the most dangerous resource of all: the human mind.

That's far far more resources than most away-teams have and they manage to get out of some epic situations.

You could write a story that allows the characters to synthesize a solution from all those elements and save the day. Granted it won't be a one-on-one epic battle, it'll be more of a McGuiver solution.

Of course that's my take on it, you could invoke a plot device of some kind and allow the hero-ship to win a one-on-one... what I'm getting at is the outcome of the story is up to you.

19. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

And yet, it'll go on for like 5 pages.

20. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Consisting of mostly meta-commentary about the thread and juvenile "MY CANON IS MORE CANON THAN YOUR CANON SO EVERYTHING I IMAGINE IS RIGHT!" nonsense. :guffaw: