RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 503
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 11 2013, 07:24 PM   #31
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: about the IV title

The One Nobody Saw? Ouch.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:26 PM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
Wrath of Khan is actually a bit cheesy
They should have kept the title Star Trek: The Vengeance of Khan. Personally I think it sounds better.

DonIago wrote: View Post
I always thought TFF was a cheesy title because it's just quoting from the opening narration.
What's your opinion of titling an episode These Are The Voyages?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:30 PM   #33
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

As a show finale I find it a decent enough title...but I wish it hadn't been applied to the episode in particular, especially since Archer never actually used that line. I could see it working better as a replacement title for AGT. Not so much WYLB and certainly not Endgame. It might have been perfect if TOS had had a proper finale.

I suppose as an agnostic I may also be offended that "God" is "The Final Frontier"...and it probably doesn't help that "God" is in fact nothing of the kind in the course of the film.
Old May 11 2013, 07:44 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
I always thought TFF was a cheesy title because it's just quoting from the opening narration.
What's your opinion of titling an episode These Are The Voyages?
Not to mention "Strange New World," "Civilization," "Where No Man Has Gone Before," and "Where No One Has Gone Before."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Clearly we need movies titled "Seek Out New Life" and "Boldly Go."
Old May 12 2013, 02:40 AM   #36
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Attack of the Zombie Romulans from Outer Space
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:11 AM   #37
DonIago
Rear Admiral

The One with the Vampires
Old May 12 2013, 08:13 AM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Lord of the Remans.

One does not simply warp to Romulus....
Old May 18 2013, 02:16 AM   #39
xvicente
Commander

everytime someone says zombie I think of Spock. And that theory of him ponfarring Saavik. And that cut scene of her pregnant in IV.

V should have been about the zombie's child.

Or something.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:06 PM   #40
Marsden
Captain

Don't forget about Spock's kid with Zarabeth on Sarpedon. He has lots of kids that don't exist. Leila Kalomi probably had a bundle of Vulcan joy we don't know about, too.

That could explain Spock's upcoming appearance on the Maury Show.
Old May 29 2013, 07:16 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Marsden wrote: View Post
Leila Kalomi probably had a bundle of Vulcan joy we don't know about, too.
Err, probably not...

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/25.htm
LEILA: I love you. I said that six years ago, and I can't seem to stop repeating myself. On Earth, you couldn't give anything of yourself. You couldn't even put your arms around me. We couldn't have anything together there.
(emphasis added)

Oh, wait... unless you mean that something happened while Spock was under the spores' influence. Hmm, in that case it's possible they got more intimately involved than '60s TV was allowed to admit. However, Enterprise suggested that Vulcan-human hybridization would require some medical/genetic intervention (which is in keeping with what was claimed in Roddenberry's Inside Star Trek record album from the '70s). Not to mention that there is such a thing as birth control.

Old May 29 2013, 07:25 PM   #42
Marsden
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Leila Kalomi probably had a bundle of Vulcan joy we don't know about, too.
Err, probably not...

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/25.htm
LEILA: I love you. I said that six years ago, and I can't seem to stop repeating myself. On Earth, you couldn't give anything of yourself. You couldn't even put your arms around me. We couldn't have anything together there.
(emphasis added)

Oh, wait... unless you mean that something happened while Spock was under the spores' influence. Hmm, in that case it's possible they got more intimately involved than '60s TV was allowed to admit. However, Enterprise suggested that Vulcan-human hybridization would require some medical/genetic intervention (which is in keeping with what was claimed in Roddenberry's Inside Star Trek record album from the '70s). Not to mention that there is such a thing as birth control.
Oh, Christopher, you're being much too serious with my flip little post. You are correct, of course, but I was thinking of the "spores" influence and Capt. Kirk's little jab about having the gall to make love to that girl. He was probably thinking, damn you Spock, that's my job!
Old May 29 2013, 08:23 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

...I was thinking of the "spores" influence and Capt. Kirk's little jab about having the gall to make love to that girl.
Which reflects how language has evolved since the '60s. At the time, and going back to the 19th century, "making love" had a broader meaning than it does today; it could be used as a euphemism for sex, but it referred more broadly to the overall process of courting and romancing someone -- even just flirting with or sweet-talking someone. (Cf. Danny Kaye's The Court Jester, for example.) You often hear characters in old TV shows and movies talk about "making love" even when any mention of sex was absolutely banned by the censors (for instance, in I Love Lucy, where they weren't even allowed to say the word "pregnant").

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...p/t-63110.html

So Kirk's line wasn't meant to indicate that Spock had had sex with Leila -- there's no way NBC's censors would've allowed such an assertion to get on the air. It just meant that he was being generally romantic and affectionate toward her.

Old June 2 2013, 07:37 AM   #44
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Doctor Spock was supposedly the expert re babies.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote