Data's high-speed heroics

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Captain McBain, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The episode is suppose to make you question what you would do if you had been in Data's place. If your kidnapper announced that he would kill others if you didn't do what he told you after already killing someone, what would you do?

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

There's no justification for the way he acted.

However, further discussion in this thread would be taking it off topic. I'd be happy to discuss/debate it with you in another thread if you;d like to start one.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There's already a pretty long discussion about it right here

:)

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Data would have been completely justified, really right from his first conversation with Kivas Fajo, in using his superior strength to take Fajo into custody. If necessary, tying him up with his own clothing, then assuming control of the ship, then communicating his situation to the Enterprise.

The ship's crew could be threaten with Fajo's being harmed, if they did not co-operate with Data. This too would have been justified by the events of the episode. Again, right from the beginning

And at the end of the episode, there is no way of telling if Data's intent was to kill Fajo, wounding a known murder and kidnapper in order to control him would have been reasonable. A nice jagged hole burned through Fajo's shoulder? Okay.

Controlling Fajo was the key to Data's freedom.

:)

5. Tiberius

I know, I've already got many posts in that thread. :P

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not trust the kidnapper to kill the others anyway (even if I followed his instructions), that's what.

7. Reynolds

Reynolds Commander Red Shirt

Data can move pretty fast even over rough terrain. But based upon what we know about the Borg, I don't think that they can move faster than you or I. - Geordi to Riker Decent Part 1.

8. Tiberius

But that doesn't necessarily follow that it means faster than a Human. There are some people who can move at incredible speeds over all sorts of terrain. But I imagine the Borg, being weighed down with implants and the like, would have a great deal more difficulty. We've never seen a drone running, after all.

9. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

There's no way a human is going to run as fast as Data.

10. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Data is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and he can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

He is also fully functional and programmed in multiple techniques.

So there.