Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watching

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Nov 26, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watch

I've never watched Two-and-a-Half Men and I have no idea who Frontrunner is (beyond the fact that it's the group that produced the video). So I'm not "mortified" about his comments in the context of the show he's bashing. Where my concern comes in is that a nineteen-year old man has so little common sense. He's attempting to put people out of work who actually depend on the paycheck that the show provides on a week-to-week basis. My oldest daughter (same age as the actor) goes to college full-time and works $8/hour retail and would never dream of pulling a stunt like this. Posting how shitty her company is or that they're ripping off customers on Facebook or other social media. It doesn't mean she doesn't complain about it privately.

As far as lowest common denominator humor goes: I like smart humor, I like a good fart/fuck joke too. The TV sitcom landscape would be pretty bad if shows that presented either type ceased to exist.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No offense but the real test would be if the daughter was making her way through school selling private lap dances. Which the actor thinks he is in the same class as.

3. BillJ

Which is utter bullshit. It shows how out of touch with reality this kid actually is.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jones is analogous to a retail worker who complains publicly that the company is ripping off the consumer? I'm sorry my friend, that is not someone who lacks common sense but someone whose innate sense of morals hasn't been sold out for a paltry minimum wage. The presumption that the worker has sold his or her morals is one we should blush to openly state, much less get outraged about. Putting your conscience in cold storage isn't common sense but moral corruption.

The one who lies about the company ripping off the customers is the immoral one.

5. BillJ

You obviously haven't worked in the real world. If you get outraged and expose every company that does wrong and quit or get fired, your going to run out of places to work very, very fast.

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That doesn't mean he's immoral. Just foolish if it mattered.

Considering how much money he's made, however, he'll never have to work another day in his life as long as he doesn't do anything stupid with it.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet he continues to make money from it. If he truly believes he is debasing himself, why stay? He has more than enough capital to find something else, yet he stays and continues to reap the benefits of that debasement.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay that did escape my notice. I haven't read a comment anywhere on varying articles that indicated people felt their taste was insulted.
    Yep, he's pretty much in a cultic religious group now who are going to work him over good. He'll get more leeway than the plebs in it though because he's somewhat famous.
    All I meant was it's not like it claims to be highbrow. I don't think the filth word is damaging it at all. If I were them I'd be slipping that word into the script for amusement.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if the world is such that Jones is being foolish, that doesn't explain anyone else should get angry at him. Being resentful because someone criticizes the way of the world is rather touchy. If the order of things were really so natural, a little mouth is no threat to anyone. All very peculiar.

As to Jones' money, it is likely that his parents/guardians have controlled much of it. Who knows where it is or how much real disposable income remains after any family, agents, publicists, accountants, bad investments by others, and a suitably upscale house and vehicle take their chunk. Certainly he's not going to get loans for a college education.
    Given the life he's probably led, he's probably been trained to think that his salary is the only thing between him and his family and the end of the world. Is he really old enough to think he could downscale? And how many people actually manage to accumulate a nest egg and live off it anyhow?

And lastly, though it has been years since I've seen much of the show, Jones didn't do much of the vulgarity. And I gather he doesn't do much on the show at all now. So, why should he really feel that he is benefiting from personally committing what he's criticizing? Maybe he does intend leaving at the end of this season no matter what.

I think it's sad he's falling for this cult. And it's a little embarrassing for him to be so narrowminded, even if Two and a Half Men is rather vulgar. But the outrage is even more problematic.

PS Jones would have to be a huge fool if he imagines that he has a career. It is always, always difficult for child actors to make an adult career. Most do not, notwithstanding the occasional Neil Patrick Harris or Michael J. Fox or Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The transition is so difficult that a Wil Wheaton is more typical of a successful adult career.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  10. teacake

Did you watch the video? He thinks these people are mentors and friends. If you have a friend a lot younger than you who says something that could seriously effect their career and it seems clear that because of his youth he is oblivious to this then you point it out.. unless you are using them in your battle against satan in which case you video their career blunder and show it to the whole world.

It's Forerunner's publicity coup too.

11. teacake

It always amazes me that people who for a time in their lives have huge salaries manage to not do this.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Well that's easy to expain teacake, rather than havind a modest detached house and say a a run of the mill car. They've got to have a massive house, top end, expensive holidays car etc.. (of course some are quite sensible and have the modest house/car)

Now most of us want nice things in life, but I would hope that I would have the common sense to put some away for a rainy day.

But back the subject at hand.

I make no comment about the quality of the show whther you consider it filth or a way to pass half an hour is upto you. But in general terms whilst no doubt many of us moan about the companies we work for we generally do not do it in a public way.

There is a difference between having a moan about your job and taking a moral position about it. If you stated belief that something of which you are a part of is filth and yet you continue to be part of it and take the cheques it makes you a hypocrite. As a hypocrite is someone who acts in condratiction to there stated beliefs.

It doesn't matter what job you do, you can always quit. And find work that better suits your beliefs.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention everyone from personnel friends to the government has their hand out saying its only fair to give a little bit more. Then the golden goose dies and those friends still expect you to supplement their lifestyle

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just seems to me that he was kind of enjoying all this attention he was getting at this church and talking a big game and not really thinking it was going to resurface on him.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much standard for a 19 year old moderate celebrity.. thinking that rules don't apply to them until reality gives them a good whack.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^which might be a touch naive, after all wasn't it only a couple of months ago Republican Presidential Candidate Romeny had some footage of him leaked making what could be considered ill advised comments.

I doubt Romney thought that footage of those comments would get out and the resulting media attention they garnered.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially since Romney didn't know he was being surreptitiously filmed. I assumed Angus realized he was being filmed.

18. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I think he's been standing too close to the hookah, he is letting a good thing slip through his fingers.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much standard for a 19 year old...period. But yes.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you believe in Satan, what he said is very valid. If you are worried that invisible fallen angels are creating situations that will damn your soul to the firey pits of hell, it's your duty to make sure that others are warned of their own personal crucibles that they are unaware that they are in the midst of.

August must be a hero to many that are grateful that he is championing their redemption.

However...

The Church has stated that if you lived in Australia before whitey turned up, or any other such place where the testament was inaccessible, then you are too ignorant to go to hell and get an automatic free pass to heaven.

So really?

If all the churches closed down, and all the bibles were burnt, after a couple generations our children and grand children would all be too ignorant to go to hell and therefore get a free automatic pass to go to heaven.

You know what that reminds me of?

Picard in First Contact refusing to self destruct Enterprise to whack the Borg.

"BLOW UP YOUR DAMN SHIP JEAN-LUC! OR DOES AHAB HAVE TO HUNT HIS WHALE?"