A new Vulcan character????

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by los2188, Jul 30, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

My little boy asked me this question regarding a new Star Trek series of adventures and so I told him that I would ask the question... He wants to know what all of you would think about a character that was Vulcan, in Starfleet of course, but was raised by Klingons or some other emotional species, but is striving to live his or her life the Vulcan way. Do you think that would be interesting?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has possibilities, but I wouldnt go with Klingons because it's too much a rehash of Worf's biography. Could play with the Romulan/ Vulcan thing...

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In one of my old fanfics, I had a Vulcan character who was born on Vulcan, but raised on Earth. Growing up alongside Humans, she combined the best of both worlds, capable of being extremely factual and objective, but also possessing a deadpan sense of humor at times. Sorta like Spock during Star Treks V and VI (and sometimes she would quote Spock that "Logic is only the beginning of wisdom").

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Could be interesting...

But we've done characters with a similar setup at least three times: Worf, Odo and Torres.

There would need to be a hook that makes the character something more than a variation on an already explored theme.

5. Tcsfan

Tcsfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That could be cool but how about a human raised by vulcans that could be cool he could be like a Vulcan logical but he would still have a little emotion be cause if you remember vulcans have emotions but the control them

6. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

I just curious, what is the different between Vulcan and Human anyway, beside their pointy ears? Without their culture that dedicated to mental discipline and logical way of think, Vulcan is... humane. So I guess he / she will become like a human if raised by a Human. Except maybe when they are in breeding season. Well, that will become interesting.

7. C.E. Evans

Appearance and culture are the primary differences between every alien species in the Star Trek universe, with the levels varying for each one.
    That also could be true for every alien race. It's even possible for a Human child to act like a Vulcan if he or she was raised by Vulcan parents and chose their way of life. Worf embraced his Klingon heritage as a child raised by Humans, but some Klingons may think that he might have developed a few Human tendencies along the way nonetheless.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a certain conjecture that Vulcans have to control their emotions, because down inside, they're all homicidal maniacs. A Vulcan raised among Humans would not be taught those controls, certainly not the same way.

Still, it might be interesting to see how much of the Vulcan daily non-emotion is attributable to Vulcan culture, and how much is biological.

The Human raised Vulcan might come to realize that they are actually incapable of full Human emotional expression. They can smile at the appropriate times, but not really feel happiness. Or hate, fear, passion (outside of Pon Farr), and love. That when it comes right down to it, their emotional scale is permanently set to "low."

:)

9. C.E. Evans

It's not conjecture, it's been confirmed onscreen by Spock and Tuvok that if a Vulcan loses emotional control, he does indeed turn into a homicidal maniac if he's truly pissed off. Even nuSarek went on to say that Vulcans really feel emotions more deeply than Humans do.

10. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

In some of the Pike-era fanfic I used to write, I had Number One as Christine Chapel's twin sister, who (for reasons I don't remember right now) had been sent as a child to live on Vulcan.

I thought it was an interesting explanation for her nearly emotionless, logical attitude we saw in "The Cage".

11. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, it's actually the opposite. Their default setting is not "low" but "uncontrollable." It's not so much that they're all homicidal maniacs inside, just that their emotions are so powerful that they must control them to a greater degree than other species. Some Vulcans are able to express more emotions than others without totally losing it, while others need to keep a tighter leash on their emotions.