Inspiration & Information

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Lee Sullivan
    The first comic strip I ever read with any real interest was "Nemesis of the Daleks" drawn by Lee Sullivan. Perhaps more so then all the Manga artists, this guy is the reason I became interested in drawing comic strips. Forgetting his character art for a second, he has to be the best Dalek artist I've seen.

I'd add some Manga artists to the list, however most of the offical sites contain little to no artwork.

Kia Asamiya's Studio Tron site
    Okay, I'll admit I don't like his characters noses. Forgetting that for a second, his artwork is great. The site has a wide variety of artwork ranging from Nadesico to Batman

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Appleseed! Appleseed! :D

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm more obsessed with Ghost In The shell. Appleseed completley confused me when I first read it.

5. Harry

Harry Captain Captain

Good stuff in here!

Let me contribute some of my inspirational links, sort of biased towards TOS/pre-TOS 'retrofuturistic' material:

http://www.projectrho.com/index.html
    Winchell Chung's site has two major attractions (and a lot more Good Stuff): in-depth analysis of building a 'real' old school intrasystem 'rocketship', and lots of background material and related information on the 1960s Jefferies-design Leif Ericson spaceship model, which is a nice inspiration for Jefferies-style (TOS-)work.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lyonesse/spaceguideA-E.htm
    "The Tough Guide to the Known Galaxy" is a sobering review of common scifi elements. Nice to read if you want to bring in some realism into your scifi designs/fanfiction.

6. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

7. MikeGainer

Another link to share with you guys. A free video tutorial website to execute your artistic vision!

Wikivid

8. MikeGainer

Re: Inspiration & Information

Stephen Youll has some really good works of art. He did the covers for the Foundation and Robot Series in the 80's.

http://www.stephenyoull.com/home.html

9. Harry

Harry Captain Captain

10. Devorah

Devorah Ensign Newbie

Star Trek inspired Art Exhibition opening in NYC March 20, 2008

Mirror Universe will feature new works by Devorah Sperber based on images from the television series Star Trek. The title, Mirror Universe, alludes to the 1967 Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror in which a transporter mishap swaps the crew of the Enterprise with evil counterparts, trapping them in a “savage parallel universe.” The concept of a mirror or parallel universe is a dominant theme in the show, and, in keeping with this metaphor, many of the works incorporate mirrors to view the work. For Sperber the exhibition is an opportunity to look at the relationship between popular science and art, and how they relate to larger metaphysical issues. In particular, she is interested in how consciousness and the act of seeing create the illusion of a stable, predictable, singular world.

In addition to Sperber’s signature “Thread Spool” pieces and works comprised of chenille stems, Mirror Universe will introduce a series of standing figures composed of semi translucent beads; depicting the familiar Star Trek characters in the process of “beaming up”. For Sperber the individual works, and the exhibition in general, serve to support the idea that ‘reality’ is merely an illusion created by the brain in collaboration with the human eye. The ideas at the heart of Mirror Universe recall the writings of phenomenological philosophers such as Maurice Merleau-Ponty who claimed that one’s understanding of any physical object is contingent on the observer’s psychological and physical perspective on it. He held that every object is a "mirror of all others" whereby all things reflect meaning off one another, complicating how they are perceived. Sperber echoes Merleau-Ponty’s thoughts as the latent images in her work compete with its component objects – thread spools, beads and chenille stems – to engage the viewer with a combination of poetic illusion and clarity.

http://www.devorahsperber.com/caren_..._08/index.html
    http://carengoldenfineart.com/

11. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Miscellanous Links and Such...

While looking for information on the SS New York Bridge Request located here

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56218

I found these.....

Hope there's not to many repeats, Enjoy....

collectively,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of the Upward Thrust

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Just adding a link to a thread from the SF&F forum (thanks, Chris :bolian: : Concept Ships Blog.

Very cool design and techniques here.

13. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I would appreciate some sites to corel draw tutorials please.

Thanks.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

15. BJensen

BJensen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just received notice that Creative Illustration is actually going to be in print again. A lot easier than pdfs.

16. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. nint

nint Cadet Newbie

thanks for information...

18. joeysmith

joeysmith Ensign Newbie

VAluable thread...thanks to all :)

19. Scott1768

Scott1768 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Doug Drexler has done a ton of Trek stuff; working on several of the series, not to mention doing th yearly Ships of the Line Calendar. He also has worked on both BSG and Caprica, not to mention the upcoming BSG: Blood and Chrome.

He has a blog with a HUGE collection of reference photos here: drexfiles.wordpress.com

20. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

John Eaves: http://johneaves.wordpress.com/
    Not everyone is a fan of his Trek work, but I consider him one of my greatest inspirations when I started getting serious about drawing. I would pour over the details when the Star Trek magazine ran articles on his drawings...that's was the thicker magazine that came out after or around the same time the fan club magazine shut down.
    The Next Generation Movies Sketch Book, for Generations and First contact is still sitting on my shelf to this day and contains loads of work he did for those films. I learned to draw ship details mainly from that book.

So I love now that his blog affords him the opportunity to share things that might not otherwise see the light of day. Plus, he has links to many other Trek Artists like Drexler and the Okuda to name a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.