Product placement

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JarodRussell, Sep 7, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then they retconned the recon. Big deal. Suddenly there are less lines you have to ignore than you did before the original rewrite.

As for big corporations existing in the future - thats an idea thats been around forever. Just look at Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, which lists the manufacturers of the Enterprise's components, weapons etc. Look at FASA's RPG suppliments that give each of those conpanies a logo and a backstory. The now-defunt Experience the Enterprise website even mentioned one of those old companies, Leeding Engines Ltd., as the manufacturer of the 2009 Enterprise's warp nacelles.

If future-Apple is the supplier of Starfleet's PADDs in the 23rd century, it'll be a cute in-joke, and also fit with a lot of the Trek I grew up with.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There were numerous press releases boasting that Levi's had supplied the jeans. They probably made sure the tags were visible, too. I think that Levi's and Kraft also had screen credits.

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It's not really that ridiculous. Consider Anheuser-Busch, which survived through the Prohibition-Era. They simply stopped making beer, and started making other stuff in the interim. Likewise, lots of Japanese companies survived World War II, and German companies didn't disappear during either World War, either. A strong company will adapt.

Nintendo is a prime example of adapting your niche; they've been in business since the late 1880s... yes, I said 1880. It wasn't until recently that they started making video games.

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a very obvious difference between press releases and screen credits, and blatantly sticking a nokia phone and budweiser in our faces during the movie. I've seen TFF at least a dozen times, and I never noticed what brand of jeans Kirk was wearing. They didn't feature a 10 second close-up on the tag, and none of the characters mentioned levi jeans. That would have been excessive and jarring, like something out of the 2009 movie.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

There was also no in your face Apple placement in The Voyage Home. It was just there and he used it.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's exactly how I've always seen "We don't use money", is that they don't carry around physical cash, because they carry around their Debit Card, or whatever means there currently is to draw "money" from your bank account. Not using money, doesn't necessarily mean you don't have to pay for things.

Although it often costs me 40 cents or 75 cents at a liquor store/convenience store to use my ATM card, I almost never carry cash, and almost always use my ATM card

7. Sindatur

Using your logic regarding Nokia, I can't iamgine how you come to the conclusion Nokia must've crumbled. By your own admission, the planet wasn't utterly destroyed, only targeted cities would've seen such devestation. As long as you've got any surviving people from a Communications Company, and a Communcations Infrastructure sadly in need of repair, of course, that Communications company is going to come out of the other side of the crisis stronger than ever. Nokia (Or AT&T or MCI, or Comcast, whoever) would've been instrumental in rebuilding, and therefore would become a major Powerhouse of a Corporation (Even if you accept that it's not a For Profit Business, but, rather becomes a Government Communications Department)

8. tighr

Just some advice, you would probably be better off getting a credit card and earning points. Rather than spend 40-75 cents per transaction, you could be making cash-back bonuses for free, and paying off your bill every month incurring no interest. Also, credit cards typically have better fraud reimbursement than debit cards (i.e., $0 liability).

9. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Mr Homn, how do you propose to finance the new Trek movie? I, personally, thought it was a nice touch to have some type of connection between the two eras (ours and the 23rd Century). Besides, if the Swedish Company, Stora, can survive from the late 13th Century to the here and now, then why cant Budweiser and Nokia survive?

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I have to go off topic for a moment because of this post. I've noticed for some time that it seems to be important in america to build credit or making points or whatever it's called. Apparently it's smart to be in debt and pay it off because otherwise you can't buy a house or whatever because for some asinine reason it's considered not trustworthy if you only spend money you actually have?:rofl:

I really don't get it, probably because I come from a country where credit cards are barely used, it's a concept that's foreign to me, I'm 31 years old, I have never owned a credit card, I was never in debt. Would american banks consider me a risky customer because I didn't overspend half of my life?:wtf:

11. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

It wasn't strictly product placement but Sideways' Merlot vs. Pinot Noir thingy was at least funny.
    Otherwise product placement simply sucks. Is it so much to ask for a clear separation between movies and advertisement? Nobody can tell me that these few extra bucks make much of a difference in the case of a nine-digit-budget blockbuster.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There's never been a clear line between movies and advertisement, as product placement has existed since the silent era (just cribbing from Wikipedia, Wings (1927) and M (1931) both have prominent product placements in them), and movies and other forms of advertisements (i.e. advertisements before and after theatrical screenings, cross-promotion in print and radio) have been linked since cinema's inception.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly, it easy enough for a bank to check your income, but a single year's income isn't going to repay a home loan. A pattern of entering debt and then consistantly repaying that debt, on time mind you, is what a lender wants to see.

The same with seeing how much time you spent in your life unemployed, if you lose one job and have a new one in a few days or weeks, this is something banks like to see.

These things show that you'll hustle your ass and repay a twenty year loan.

Makes a huge amount of sense if you stop and give it a few seconds of thought.

:)

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Product placement does suck, but it's one of those things when I see it I go, "that's shitty" and then move on.

Something's gotta help pay the bills so we can keep watching flicks.

15. Sindatur

Yea, in order to borrow money, you must have an extensive resume of experience with repaying money.

But, when it comes to electing a President, we don't have any such qualms about wanting to see a resume of Leadership or Government experience ;)

As far as Product Placement, I honestly don't see the gripe. I'd much rather see a Heineken Beer being drank than have the hand covering up the label, or have some stupid brand name like Fizzie Beer XXX or Corn Flakes Cereal versus Crispy Flakes.

As far as cars go, I'd rather see Mustang or Volvo on the car than some made up generic Car Company

16. tighr

Oh, don't get me wrong. My post had nothing to do with building a credit score or going into debt or anything of the sort. "Earning points" is just airline miles or cashback or whatever, which is essentially free money (the credit issuer is able to give you money by skimming off the top of the fees they collect from merchants). And I use my credit cards same-as-cash, because I pay it off in full every month. It's a good way to consolidate/track my spending, versus paying for things with cash and then wondering where all my money went at the end of the month.