Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Re: Destiny: What we know - major spoilers may feature

^ Yup.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Time for another possibly silly reference:

Is it just a coincidence that there was a previous Borg novel called Engines of Destiny and now we're getting *this* Destiny, also about Borg? ;)

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Yes, it's a coincidence. The two are not connected.

4. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Reread the excerpt, this might be the most re-read excerpt I've ever had the pleasure of printing off! I love it.

5. David Mack

^ Thanks! That's very nice to hear. You'll be pleased to learn then that, in the opinion of myself and my editors, the trilogy only gets better from there. (Also, look for chapters 2 and 3 to appear online on different web sites sometime before the book comes out.)

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Amazing how an actual example of the actual work has suddenly stiffled all the "Oh no, not another Borg story" kvetching, isn't it?

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I thought it was average and still don't plan to pick it up - hope that helps. I don't really see the point, however, of coming on here day after day to repeat the point that I don't plan to buy it.

8. David Mack

WTF? How is that supposed to "help"?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I suppose it helps toward restoring the usual level of negativity that Internet bulletin boards require for their proper functioning. ;)

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Hang on. We'll think of something else.

What, did you miss that class as part of the internet orientation package? :)

11. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well David, I have to say from the except I read over on TrekWeb the other day, this whole triology is going to be awesome and the biggest event of all the books of the year. Glad to see that the calendar featuring the found Columbia was mentioned to have been explored before the start of the Dominion War. Any hints to if we are going to see flashbacks to those scenes of the Columbia first being found? I"m just happy that the image was finally used to set up a story. Can't wait for the first book comes out.

12. David Mack

In fact, that event is depicted in the prologue; it's just a quirk of the S&S site that when they run excerpts, they run Chapter 1 by default, and almost always skip the prologues.

13. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Love the idea of themes when it comes to naming a class of starship.

Although if there's seven ships and one is presumably the Vesta, is there one of the seven hills currently not represented?

Haven't read anything of this thread, but will the class get a pretty good description of what it looks like in the books? Or any artwork forthcoming?

14. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no USS Vesta, the ships are named for the hills, but Vesta is the class name.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

And David said a few pages back that he left the design description nebulous (my words not his) so that the art department weren't too constricted if and when they design an image of it, but he did say it was sleek and by the fact it has a crew compliment of 750, it's larger than say a Luna Class and probably not far off a Sovereign class.

16. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

^ Interesting. It seems authors envision crew densities going back up. 750 in a Sovereign represents a 30% increase in crew complement per unit volume over an Intrepid.

17. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't really kept up with Trek novels or read anything outside the DS9 relaunch (last read Warpath over a year ago I guess) but the excerpt got my attention. I'll be interested to read the reviews after the first book comes out.

18. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Huh. A little different, but okay.

19. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That excerpt looks pretty good. If there's one little thing that bothers me (and it is pretty little) it's that line about the Vesta class being the "only Starfleet ships that can even moderately defend themselves against the Borg" and how they're strategically placed to defend core systems. With a few exceptions, I've never felt that Star Trek has done a great job of portraying a believable Star Fleet. I know I'm reading a lot into this little throw-away line, but it almost seems like something you'd hear on Power Rangers, ya know? "Our old giant robots are useless against this new threat, we need brand new ones again".

I mean, are the guns on the Vesta class ships so much more advanced than the ones the rest of the fleet has? If so, Starfleet's falling down on the job because apparently they have hundreds of obsolescent ships and maybe less than a dozen ships (only 7?) that are somehow way far ahead on the tech curve. Again, it's a minor point to be sure, but this illogical technical stuff tends to rip me right out of the story.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Dang, now I want to see a Megazord take on a Borg cube...