Recommended Viewing Order TV Shows and Movies

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by DaNnYElLoCO, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DaNnYElLoCO

DaNnYElLoCO Ensign Newbie

Hey Trekkies :) I am about to embark on a journey to watch all of the Star Trek TV shows and Movies and want to know if some of you would recommend a viewing order. FYI I have already started - I am in the middle of season 3 of TNG. Should I just complete the series before moving on? I know that DS9 starts in the middle of season 5, but not ever having watched TOS, should I just jump back to it after I finish TNG? Just wondering what you guys and gals would advise. Let me know. Thanks!

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Best to just watch the shows in series production order (TOS, TAS, TOS Movies, TNG, TNG Movies, DS9, VOY and ENT).

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You should watch every scene in chronological order, flashbacks and time travel scenes included.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That way lies madness... :rofl:

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He wants to watch all of the Star Trek TV shows and movies. I say: let's embrace the madness. :D

6. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with this.

An alternate would be to watch them in broadcast order, interspersing the later series (TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG movies.) This is probably more trouble than it's worth.

7. DaNnYElLoCO

Thanks for the responses. What about if I finish TNG since I'm in the middle of it now, then TOS, TAS, original movies, DS9, VOY, ENT, TNG movies, 2009 movie?

8. Tracer Bullet

That would work. I'd probably throw Generations in the mix directly after TNG, but it doesn't matter either way all that much.

9. DaNnYElLoCO

Ok that sounds like a good way to do it. So Generations after TNG, then move to TOS?

10. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Watch the series and movies in whatever order your enjoy the most if you already enjoy TNG just stick with that until you are done.

You have things like Memory Alpha and other online resources that allow you to do some research and figure out where you want to go from there.

The only things that have to be watched in order are the more arc based seasons from DS9 and ENT but those don't happen till later in their series respective runs.

Star Trek isn't some monolithic franchise you have to go through in order to enjoy lest you be hopelessly lost.

11. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Of all the videos watch TMP as your final one. Only then will you be able to understand the movie.

Enjoy the ride! I wish I was you!

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Why would you want to do that?

I wouldn't watch Generations until after you've seen all of TOS, TAS, and the TOS films. It would totally ruin Generations to watch it first.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why would watching TMP last help you understand TMP?

14. DaNnYElLoCO

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I mean I've seen the the first four TOS films, but I think I would enjoy Generations more after finishing TNG then seeing TOS, TAS, and TOS films again. The other question would be, when do I watch the TNG films? After TNG, but before TOS, TAS, TOS films and Generations, or after I watch all of those?

Sorry for all of the questions, but thanks for the help! :)

15. Tracer Bullet

Hmm. Yeah, I didn't catch that he started with TNG. In that case I'd recommend the above.

16. Tracer Bullet

You might enjoy Trek more if you just... don't watch the TNG movies. :)

Since you started with TNG, here's what I would recommend:

Finish TNG
    Watch TOS, TAS, and the TOS movies
    Generations
    First Contact
    Insurrection
    Nemesis
    DS9
    VOY
    ENT
    ST 2009

There are minor plot points and cameos in the TNG movies that will make more sense if you watch them at the appropriate time (i.e. slot in First Contact at some point in the fifth season of DS9, Nemesis after VOY) but it doesn't matter all that much.

17. DaNnYElLoCO

Cool! Thanks for the help :) What are the appropriate times to watch the TNG films? I like plot points, so I can be like :wtf:

18. DaNnYElLoCO

This was posted by accident. Whoops! :eek:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After watching everything it would probably be refreshing to lay down and take a nap? I kid, I kid...

20. Tracer Bullet

They didn't closely link up with any of the TV shows, so you could watch First Contact in between the fourth and fifth seasons of DS9, Insurrection after the seventh season of DS9, and Nemesis after you watch VOY. But again, these are really minor.