Whatever happened to the Xindi...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Tom Riley, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

...that they weren't in any other trek series? I know the real explanation is because Enterprise was made after and they just hadn't thought of them, but what was the in-universe explanation, if there was one? I haven't seen all of the series yet so I wasn't sure if they said somewhere...

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nothing. Why assume that they needed to be mentioned in "future" Treks? We only see a few hundred hours of what happend in the UFP between the end of Enterprise and the last TNG movie. Alot things are happening in the UFP and the Galaxy that don't involve the Enterprise, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. No doubt the Xindi are involved with some of those things, just as all or some the never seen again races from TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY are.

3. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

It's possible that their numbers were low enough that that they didn't really have much of an effect on galactic politics for a good long while. It's also possible they turned inward, after the shock of being manipulated almost to the point of committing genocide.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

We saw a Xindi officer on the Enterprise-J (IIRC). It's possible that after the Expanse was destroyed, the Xindi focused on their internal issues for some time before finally reintroducing themselves to galactic society and (potentially) joining the Federation.

5. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ They keep cropping up in the novels...IIRC the Secretary of Technology? was a Xindi in The Buried Age

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

No, we were told about a Xindi officer on the E-J, we didn't see him. Daniels is the one who handed Archer the Xindi medal for carbon datin' or whatever.

And the Xindi Sloths, Primates and Reptiles are mentioned a lot in the novels now...

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'll be exactly like the Andorians or Tellarites from now on. Only ever seen in the background of a galactic conference. Until maybe a future spin-off features a breakaway character...

I can see the Suliban evolving, maybe gaining Antos as a homeworld, becoming the shapeshifters of TOS: Whom Gods Destroy. Denobula being wiped out in the Romulan War... making Phlox and a select few, part of an extinct race. Or alternately, all still out there locally but not causing much trouble for the Federation.

8. Skywalker

Ah, thanks. Saw, heard, close enough. :D

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Wasn't a Xindi-Reptillian a cadet in the crowd at the Academy in the new movie? In one photo of the meeting hall you can see what looks a LOT like a Xindi-Reptillian in a red cadet's uniform on the left hand side of the picture.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

We never saw much of the Tellarites or Andorians throughout the TNG era either, doesn't mean they weren't there. They're around just none that we see.

11. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Hang on, do the Xindi join the Federation in the future? I don't recall. Or is it the case that they just ally with the Federation to defeat the Sphere Builders?

To explain why we don't see more of various Federation races serving on ships in Trek (except what you might call token Bolians), I've often had the idea that you get ships where the majority of the crew is made up of a certain species (such as the Vulcans in Take Me Out to the Holosuite), and we of course see mostly humans. Or some races don't contribute to the Federation by being in Starfleet, but rather in other ways. For example, if the Mizarians joined the Federation, you wouldn't think many would join Starfleet.

12. Skywalker

Well, I doubt Federation member worlds have some sort of quota to fill. Starfleet is a stricly voluntary organization. It's plausible that, of the 150ish planets in the UFP, there are some that have no representation whatsoever in Starfleet (likely for cultural reasons).

13. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I think you have a good point. It would certainly explain why the hero ships are mostly human.

14. Garak007

Garak007 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Was'nt an episode in TNG their home world was mentioned?

15. apenpaap

^I believe it was a Xindi starbase.

16. Tom Riley

Ooh, what episode?

17. apenpaap

^I think it was "The Battle". I'm not sure, though.

18. warriorsfan

warriorsfan Admiral Admiral

Picard says "Xendi" not Xindi, so I don't think we can infer that it was a Xindi starbase.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Xendi_Starbase_9

According to Memory Alpha, it was located in the Xendi Sabu star system, hence the name.

19. Tom Riley

Ah, ok

20. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

Just sort of assumed that they needed to get their culture, and a new homeworld, back on track. I agree with the other posters, just because we don't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there or playing a part in the Federation.