Underworld #4 - Beckinsale in 3D?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the first Underworld movie - it was odd, Beckinsale was fun to look at in black leather, and White Wolf Games arrived at a nice little settlement with the producers over material lifted from their Vampire RPGs.

In any event, BloodyDisgusting.com reports that Variety seems to report that Underworld is being remade as a 3D film, starring Kate Beckinsale again.

I say "seems to report" because looking at the Variety piece, a) I don't see her name mentioned and b) it looks like the reference could be interpreted as a reprocessing of the original film into some version of 3D. But a number of other sites have picked up and reported this as definitely a new film.

Curious.

One way or another, though, everyone seems to be in a hurry to get into the 3D movie business.

2. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I haven't seen any of the 3D movies (aside from theme park attractions), so I can't speak from experience, but it seems to somewhat be a fad (don't get me wrong, I'd like to check out a couple, but I don't know if I have anything at home that would show 3D good enough) that everyone is rushing into, despite whether or not the movie would be "good" for 3D. Especially the horror movies as of late, I don't get what the sudden fad is to do...I was pretty disappointed to find out Cabin in the Woods was delayed for another year for reprocessing into 3D, because it doesn't seem to be the type to be a 3D movie, nor does Underworld. To each, their own, I guess...

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

They've been talking about doing the next UNDERWORLD in 3D for a several months now. Could be fun . . . .

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, part of the point of the way that Digital 3D is being marketed is that any subject matter is "suitable" for 3D just as (arguably) any subject matter is suitable for color. The current process gives objects apparent contour and space a sense of continuity and depth rather than the "multiplane" look of previous technologies. The whole idea is to get beyond 3D as a stunt.

5. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Oh, I am sure it could be, don't get me wrong, maybe they can do something cool with it. I just meant along the lines of doing movies in a franchise (or perhaps better termed, where it already has other parts) that were not previously 3D, into a 3D part just seems...odd.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've found this from DarkHorizons today

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Any way I can just get a 3D MODEL of Kate Beckinsale? ;)

8. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so its a sequel? good... I have no interest in watching a remake of the first film...I hope Micheal will at least be in it.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

According to AICN it takes place... IN SPACE!!! WTF.

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

As long as Kate is in it, I'll be there. ;)

11. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quote from the Variety report.
    "Aided by rebates, Gaul's Duran Duboi will help deliver "Underworld 3D," a spatialized version of 2003's "Underworld," directed by Len Wiseman and produced by Screen Gems/Lakeshore."

I recently read an article about the new 3D technology, saying it is possible to re-treat already made films to make them into 3D (they are considering it for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy). The way that statement is phrased suggests to me that the are adding 3D to the original Underworld. Not a sequel or remake.

Still, Kate Beckinsale in latex, Sophia Myles in a corset, all in 3D. Might be worth watching.;)

12. Greg Cox

I think that's just a stupid misunderstanding. The director said it was going to be "spatialized," which is probably just a fancy of way of saying it's going to be in 3D.

Some silly person thought "spatialized" meant "in space."

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Talk of Underworld 4 has been going around since summer of 2009 after the tally of Rise of Lycans proved solid enough. Then DVD sales showed strength and talk improved to the fourth installment being in 3-D, with or without Kate.

I'm hopeful that this news from DarkHorizons that its still going to continue what was and not be a reboot stays true. I'm tired of the "trilogy" mindset completes a franchise.
    With Underworld stories can be told post Lycans/pre Underworld and post Evolution. No need for any reboot. Heck there cold be stories pre-Lycans with Corvenus, father of both mosnter immortals. Not sure how fun it would be but who knows.

14. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

They really need to do a movie where Amelia is the main character.

15. Greg Cox

Amelia is definitely the big question mark in the UNDERWORLD mythos. We still know next to nothing about her . . . .

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed!
    I thik a good story could be one that starts with Kate & Marcus seeing Amelia over to the 'colonies' and then the story focuses on Amelia and her coven. Thus giving Kate her limited role and passing it onto another, preferably hot, female lead for the series.

17. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think she's intriguing, and was so happy to see her at the beginning of Evolution. Maybe if Kate isn't in the next one they could center the story around Amelia as the main character. Perhaps a story looking at how the Elders' one-awake-two-asleep cycle started.

In any case, another Underworld, with or without Kate, in 3-D or not, can only be a good thing.

Speaking of which, weren't they supposed to be making an uber version of the current films? I recall hearing one of the guys on the Rise of the Lycans commentary saying he had already incorporated the Sonja scenes into the first movie, replacing the existing blonde Sonja.

18. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    When did they arrive at a settlement? The last I had heard, the movie company was completely successful at their blatant rip off.

19. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

meh, I have no interest in seeing the first film again in 3d... I can understand Lord of The Rings saga in 3d, but Underworld as much as I loved the first 2, I dont think is worth shelling out 12 bucks to see them again when I have them on dvd. They were good but not that spectacular. JMO, of course. :)

oh & if they make a movie about Amelia can we also have a bit of Kraven in it, I missed seeing that tasty bastard in the 3rd film. :drool:

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^Agreed. I missed Kraven. I was especially bummed because I thought I'd read rumors that said that Shane Brolly was going to be coming back for Rise of the Lycans. Alas...

I like the idea of doing an Amelia movie, either set sometime during the gap between Rise of the Lycans & the original movie or perhaps pre-Rise of the Lycans. I have this vague idea for a prequel called War of the Elders. It focuses on the rivalries and, eventually, the tentative alliance between Amelia, Viktor, & Markus.

Doing a movie during the gap between Rise of the Lycans and the original movie would probably be the best option if you wanted to do a story that included Selene but not a lot. After all, she was kept very in the dark about what was going on prior to the original movie.

Doing a sequel post-Evolution might be difficult because everyone is dead except for Selene, Michael, & Erika (and I still think you could retcon Raze and/or Tannis back to life if you really, really wanted to).