(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well done Celtic!

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always nice seeing Barcelona beaten.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the Guardian's Spanish football writer, Sid Lowe, is a big backer of this scheme and has been promoting it for a few weeks now. Didn't realise the situation was quite as desperate as it actually is, 17th November isn't too far away. Hope they work it out. Especially cruel as so many of Spain's top flight teams are in administration and debt-ridden - 6 or 7 of them, I think.

Leeds 1 Watford 6. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh. :guffaw::lol: Now, if Cardiff could just win away as well as at home (8 wins out of 8), I'd be a lot happier. I can't keep going to the likes of Palace and Charlton and seeing 2 goal leads obliterated.

I like that Celtic followed up beating Barca by draeing at home to the mighty St Johnstone too.

4. HappyDayRiot

Zlatan.

That is all :)

5. Angel4576

On the bright side, at least whenever he plays against an English team or the national side in future, the commentators can now STFU about how he plays poorly against them.

Great performance, fantastic goals, and one absolute peach of opportunism. I can't even think of many other strikers who'd have even thought about trying that. F*cking brilliant.

6. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

A good evening for me yesterday : a win against Italy, it's never bad, and Zlatan will come back to Paris in a very good mood.

7. HappyDayRiot

I saw that PSG lost at home to Rennes - I have no idea if that's a surprise or not - are Rennes any good?

8. Shaytan

It's an average team. To tell the truth, it's a little no...very ridiculous : losing against a team of only 9 players (2 reds) at home :lol:
    It's the usual november crisis, it's what tells me that even with Qatar, it's still my team :lol:

9. HappyDayRiot

Lost against 9 men? Superb.

I've since learned too that Ibra was suspended. Says it all really :D

10. Shaytan

Ah, yes, Zlatan said he wanted to leave his footprint on the Ligue 1. 2 weeks ago, we learnt that "Ligue 1" was apparently the nickname of Saint-Etienne's goal keeper :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EmbY2gLMOQ&feature=related[/yt]

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Chelsea have sacked Di Matteo, what a joke of a club.

12. Angel4576

Benitez lined up to replace him in the short term.

Doesn't surprise me. Chelsea were absolutely outclassed by Juve last night.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But you can't sack your manager for losing one game, Di Matteo, like AVB, was trying to change the entire way the team plays, it was always going to be a work in progress.

I wish Di Matteo had walked away in the summer, he should have done once it became clear Abramovitch wasn't keen on giving him the job. Not like he'd have struggled to find something else, given he'd just won the champions league and the FA cup!

14. Angel4576

I don't think he's been sacked for one game, last night was just the final nail. If you discount a penalty win against a second-string United team in the League Cup, Chelsea have won one of the last eight games. That run's seen them surrender a lead in the Championship, and effectively seen them eliminated from the Champions League.

RDM was always on a hiding to nothing at Chelsea, particularly after the end of last season. He set an unrealistic standard for Abramovic that he was never going to be able to live up to. With the amount of change needing to be affected at the club, that was just never going to happen.

Let's be fair, RDM or Benitez, they were always going to be treading water until the summer when either Mourinho or Guardiola makes themselves available.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Still seems daft for me, and ifhe's just keeping the seat warm why not leave him in post? It's nt like they're paying terrible, they're in a bad run of form but those happen to all managers.

I think it'll be funny if Guardiola gets the job and he ends up sacking him as well!

Chelsea, the new Newcastle!

16. HappyDayRiot

Does that mean they'll be relegated soon? We can only dream.

The usual lack of class from the team in SW6. Racist thug of a captain stays in post. Manager has a blip in results, not helped by injuries, dodgy refereeing and the worthless crock that is Torres up front - sacked. I don't think there can be much pretence he didn't get very, very lucky though. Interestingly, he's the second Chelsea manager in a row to be sacked following a defeat at West Brom.

It would be fantastic if they appointed Hughes and he screwed over both SW London clubs in the same season. Or, for comedy value, John Terry.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest had a good run but looks like another year in the championship for us, we look out of ideas and tired in recent games. Beats last year still ;)

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Despite being little over 6 months in the job, currently in 8th place and only 1 point outside the playoffs "Nottingham Forest" have sacked their manager after a 4-2 win at home against playoff rivals + 1 day after Christmas...Another bunch of owners with NO FUCKING CLUE.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :wtf::eek:

Sometimes I don't know us fans even bother supporting our club with our £££.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, obviously following the Chelsea model...

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Does that mean we get to win the Europan Cup and then sack our next manager soon after ;)