Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

2. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Hey, Netflix is bringing back Arrested Development. Maybe they'll do the same with Community when NBC cancels it in favor of that garbage called Whitney or something equally horrible. It would be much better suited to that sort of distribution method.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem with Whitney is that Whitney is trawling her standup for material. Soon she's going to run out of those jokes, and actually have to devise some new comedy that's actually built first run for the sitcom format.

Whitney Cummings is a producer on Two Broke girls and that show is fantastic, of course the Sex and the City Guy is holding her hand, or she might just be doing bugger all over there?

4. Guy Gardener

So the first line to this weeks the Soup...

"Well I had a big week, one prank phone call to Bob Costas and suddenly my show is on hiatus."

Alison is on the Soup too, saying naughty words.

Love those naughty words.

And Joel says "Thankyou Alison, you can see her on Community for the next couple weeks and then in May or April , maybe."

And it just goes on.

Alison is weird when she's not being Annie.

5. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Okay, so how come nobody wants to talk about the actual episode this week?
    One of the show's most awesome.

EDIT: Just found this on Neatorama...

Have You Seen This Show?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to hug Britta Perry.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't really like it, to be honest. What with the Abed/Jesus episode and the documentary episode back in season 2, I felt like I had seen all this before. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen Heart of Darkness. :shrug:

Jeff's impersonation of the dean was great though, absolutely spot-on.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was dreadful. It was like they thought "Let's do a Hearts of Darkness parody!" "OK!" and then forged ahead without realizing that it wasn't funny. They also seem to be taking the only remaining funny character, Dean Pelton, and ruining what makes him funny, the same way S2 Chang was not funny like S1 SeƱor Chang.

I said way, way up-thread that S2 had moved Community off my "must see" list, but I usually watch it with "Parks and Rec" and The Office. At first I thought S3 would bring it back, but it has been inconsistent, meandering and just not very funny. I don't know what kind of a show they are going for, but it seems like "comedy" is a ways down the list. In-jokes, obscure references, meta gimmicks and self-conscious quirkiness are not funny in and of themselves. So, if the show doesn't come back after its shortened season, I won't be surprised, or miss it.

Justin

9. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The flier is pretty cool, the comments make me sad: "Not as funny as Two and a Half Men." :wtf:

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Meh. I like both shows, but they are VERY different comic beasts. I can understand why someone who REALLY loves Two and Half Men wouldn't like Community and vice versa.

11. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I liked this weeks episode, I've never seen Heart of Darkness. Between the Jeff as the Dean, Pierce as the overblown ego actor and the Dean losing it, there was a lotta comedy.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Heart of Darkness is better than Apocalypse Now.

Just kidding. Both are great.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Luis Guzman was the best part of the episode. I really did not expect him to show up (I guess the statue should have tipped me off) or for him to be cool with the Dean using his image.

14. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I think they mentioned Luis Guzman as being a Greendale alum way back in season one.

Good episode, but slightly too referentially and meta for its own good. It crossed that line that Dan Harmon always talks about between telling a good independent story, and telling a story that relies on outside pop culture knowledge.

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Guzman statue has been a fixture of the show since the beginning, or close to it.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The documentary being referenced is Hearts of Darkness, plural. It's easily one of the best making-of documentaries out there, with some fascinating footage of Coppola losing his mind during the shoot (though, to be fair, he isn't the only one).

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I've just started the show. My mother gave me the 1st 2 seasons on DVD for my birthday last week. So far, I'm up to episode 7, "Introduction to Statistics." Already, I would put the show in the absolute top tier of my all-time favorites, along with Action, Arrested Development, Frasier, NewsRadio, Wonderfalls, Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge, etc.

I'm not sure how you would promote Community. It's a show that's very difficult to display in a 30 second spot since so much of it is about building the overall tone. The context is what makes it funny. You kinda need to see a whole episode to really get it (or have an inexplicably weird sense of humor, like me).

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This show wrinkles my brain.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk[/yt]

Watch the background behind Annie towards the end of the video.

19. Guy Gardener

I wonder if Joel could have snuck community merchandising onto the set of the Set of Spy Kids four as subliminal product placement? Or Ken onto the set of Hangover II?

Would the director of either really notice a T-Shirt telling people when and where to watch Community secreted onto a few extras?

20. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder how much stuff like that I'm missing when I watch. Lol