Deanna Troi's Outfits

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by NigellaDeanna20, Oct 23, 2015.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

My only quibble is that modern SHRM is designed to use up humans and disregard them in the most efficient manner so its not entirely commensurable with what Troi's role was.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. keith2282

keith2282 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My post wasn't really clear. I meant that I would of liked her just being in standard StarFleet uniform from the beginning, like she was in the movies. That's what I meant. :cool:

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

:confused:
    What?

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely! She should've been in uniform from the beginning. All those other outfits looked totally unprofessional.

5. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

oh right sorry. my mistake:cool:

6. keith2282

keith2282 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not a problem. After re-reading it I kind of seen how you took it the way you did. Its all good. :)

7. NigellaDeanna20

yeah. as I said already though, I think my three favourites of Troi's outfits are:

(a)the minidress uniform
    (b) The blue dress uniform
    (c) her season 6 uniform

The "off-the-shoulder" dress she wore in episodes like "Hollow Pursuits" and "the Ninth Degree" I liked as well but not as much as the others. :cool:

8. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Society for Human Resource Management. So, I guess he's speaking of HR in general as a tool for using up and replacing employees in an efficient manner. I'm not sure that's exactly the mission statement of someone in HR, but I do agree that they're not counselors.

I'm not sure if Troi had a role analogous to human resources (obviously she wouldn't deal with pay issues, but maybe interpersonal conflicts?).

But the complement of a Galaxy class is almost three times as big as a Constitution, and way, way larger than Defiants or even Intrepids in crew. Deep Space 9 is the only thing analogous to the Enterprise-D in size (an average population of 2000 - crew, residents, and visitors). So it makes some sense that only TNG and DS9 had counselors, since they're so much larger than any other crew we've seen before or since.

9. JohnnyTenToes

JohnnyTenToes Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Troi probably looked best in Insurrection

Oh, I did. I did :bolian:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. NigellaDeanna20

yes i did as well! have to admit!:cool:

11. NigellaDeanna20

Okay, these are the episodes, from memory, where Deanna was seen wearing what I consider to be her trademark blue dress.
    Season 3
    The Survivors (1st appearance)
    Booby Trap
    The Price
    The High Ground
    A Matter Of Perspective
    The Offspring
    Sins Of The Father
    Captain's Holiday
    Hollow Pursuits
    Sarek
    Transfigurations

Season 4
    Family
    Brothers
    Future Imperfect
    The Loss
    Data's Day
    Galaxy's Child
    Night Terrors (very brief scene)
    The Host

Last time Deanna was seen wearing that dress was in the season 7 episode Parallels. Although at that stage with her hair style the way it was then, combined with the dress it didn't look quite right to me. :cool:

12. NigellaDeanna20

just had a quick think there about her miniskirt / minidress uniform in the pilot episode. Have to admit that didn't look too bad on her. Damn! she looked very sexy!

13. MermaidSouth

MermaidSouth Ensign Red Shirt

Just watched Menage a Troi last night and she is stuck in some late 80's poly bizarre get-up. It had tights underneath, which did nothing for her.

14. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

She also wore the blue dress in Yesterday's Enterprise, Nigella.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too really liked the blue dress. It looked more comfortable than the others. Would have been nice to get her in the uniform before season 6.

16. NigellaDeanna20

yeah. I'd forgotten about. thanks for reminding me!

Terok Nor likes this.
  17. In_Correct

In_Correct Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love Deanna's outfits. But also I love Guinan's outfits. and Beverly's lab coats. But Beverly technically had a Star Fleet uniform all the time, or almost all of the time.

Guinan's outfits are similar enough to Deanna's outfits that it would not surprise me if Guinan secretly has a Star Fleet rank. If they are going to let Deanna walk around on duty with non-traditional uniforms.

I would like to have seen a head piece for Deanna. They originally were going to have her wear one. After all, isn't she supposed to be a princess? They let Worf have his warrior sash and they let Ro have her ear piece and they let Guinan wear her hats, so why not add an exotic crown with exotic jewels for Deanna's hair?? Even if Deanna should have a Star Fleet uniform for every episode.

Her outfits should have at least matched the colour of her position, which should have been dark blue.

As for Deanna being on the bridge all the time, she is the captain's paralegal and basically the ship's ambassador, second only to her mother (lol). Her other duties should be near sickbay, as she is an associate to the CMO.

18. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How many times must Marina Sirtis have silently reminded herself, "Don't lean forward!"

19. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sirtis looked good in everything she wore, but it would have been nice if she had been given a proper uniform on day one so she wouldn't look like the odd one out in group photos. Professional attire would have suited her role aboard the ship.

Then again, even the writers often seemed to be conflicted with regards to what Troi actually did. Is she an adviser or a counselor? She was a really good adviser to the captain for a few episodes, but then the writers realized that having someone who could read the minds of the enemy was too convenient.

So she became a counselor with an officer rank for some reason, and the fact that her uniform was completely different from the rest of the crew became even more strange.

20. MermaidSouth

MermaidSouth Ensign Red Shirt

Does she do her own laundry?