The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

bounty hunters? we don't need their scum!

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Don't tell that to collectors like OdoWan. :D

3. cooleddie74

Today marks the two-year anniversary of the official launch of the Episode I 3-D merchandising blitz that quickly proceeded to logjam the American Star Wars product distribution network for most of the period since that day. Things seemed fine at first, but once all the completely unwarranted carry forwards and overshipments of case assortments were finished with American retail it was a Herculean task to find anything new on pegs and shelves. To this day there are certain figures, ships and vehicles that have never seen an American retail aisle save for a handful of discount chains, some of which aren't available in all regions of the country.

On the bright side, New York Toy Fair launches in a little over a week's time and the rumors are that there are some great things in store for collecting, and not just for disaffected and bored Star Wars folks. Can't wait to hear the announcements and see the pics from the floor!

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Toy Fair will bring the reveal of the very last DC Universe Classics figure. We're not expecting much, though. Considering the way Mattel has treated fans lately, it's most likely just the light blue Super Powers stlye Superman repaint that was slated for long ago but never materialized.

5. cooleddie74

Though somebody tried to discount it earlier today, there's a rumor that the basic 3.75" figure lines will attempt to clean out and clear Hasbro's "parking lot" of unproduced and on-hold character ideas between now and the Episode VII merchandising blizzard, and if there's any truth to that story then that could mean we might finally see updates of the classic Yak Face (Saelt-Marae), the Imperial Dignitary (Sim Aloo) from the original '80s line and never-before-produced characters like kid Anakin's friends Kitster and the Rodian Wald from Episode I.

As I said, somebody discounted the idea a while ago and seemed to indicate it was all complete bantha poodoo, but anything's possible given the current state of Hasbro and how they're handling the Lucas license. They might for all we know try to clean their plate of most unfinished business before they focus almost exclusively on the new movies that will be in theaters roughly once per year.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. OdoWanKenobi

And they need to rerelease Jacen and Jaina before they get erased from continuity!

7. cooleddie74

Yup. Though if they're actually written into Episode VII as slightly different characters from the ones depicted in the books and graphic novels then they can still make and release them, but they'll look different and bear different bios. Whether they are or not, the 2010 Legacy Collection figures will continue to be pricey and sought-after.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing we could get "Star Wars: Rebels" figures at the very least teased next month. Not expecting any Episode VII stuff. Casting announcements first, then maybe at SDCC.

9. cooleddie74

Yeah, the earliest we'll seee any sneak preview figures from Episode VII will be next Christmas or sometime in 2015. Sneak preview figures for new movies tend to show up in stores 3 to 6 months before the movie premieres.

10. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Vader: I see you have constructed a new ..... oh, wait, this looks rather familiar from somewhere.

11. cooleddie74

:)

Nice.

I like that particular Vader sculpt. He's been a little overused in recent years (most of him dates back to a special commemorative Vader that came inside a plastic meditation chamber package in 2005, around the same time Episode III was in theaters), but it's still a nice Darth Vader and looks great on display.

I think the Luke is the 1996 POTF2 Jedi Luke figure without his outer plastic robes.

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

That's Luke?
    He looks like He-Man's emo brother. :(

13. cooleddie74

1990's Luke figures were often very - how shall I put this? Open to interpretation.

14. OdoWanKenobi

Luke was not alone in that. All of the early POTF2 figures looked like they were hitting the juice pretty hard.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i always called those, Star Wars: The Beefy Years.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

"Rorschach, we have to cook."

[​IMG]

17. cooleddie74

^
    :lol:

Steroid Wars: A New Pump.

In retrospect, Monkey Face Leia's monkey face was one of the least inaccurate things about her 1995 figure.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I'm now imagining Rorschach going around calling everyone "bitch." It's quite amusing.

Oh, and there's two Walters in that picture. :D

19. cooleddie74

That reminds me: I should really get a Walter White action figure.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, I hadn't even thought of that :)