What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Finding Magic by Stacia Kane

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I've finished The Doctor and the Dinosaurs and I have mixed feelings. It was a good story with a good resolution, but it felt like a first draft. I know Resnick to be a good writer (though exclusively from his short fiction), so I'm not sure what went wrong. The dialogue was strange. To begin with, it was anachronistically modern, though that may have been a stylistic choice, but it was also repetitive. Just about every conversation between the characters seemed the same, and they constantly repeated themselves ("Well, I never thought about it that way, but I see your point."). There were a significant number of spelling and word errors, and a few little continuity glitches. On one page character A asks character B if he saw any Comanche on the way over and he answers no; on the next page character A asks character B the same question and he answers "one or two." It's like Resnick dictated the story into his hand-held device and the publisher simply transcribed and printed it without any further work being done.

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After a 3-month hiatus from reading (I don't know why I didn't pick up a book! I just didn't feel like it), I am back to a re-read of Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham and I just picked up Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books by Wendy Lesser.

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Started reading Raymond Chandler's The High Window. Not that far in, yet, but it already shapes up to be just as good as his first two Philip Marlowe novels.

5. Velocity

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Anthem by Ayn Rand, which is a almost mythological story about a man who struggles to become conscious of himself and the power of his individuality despite growing up in a culture so suffocatingly communal and bureaucratic that even the word "I" has been obliterated. It gets a little preachy the last few pages, but man vs state stories are always winners for me; I enjoyed it even given my contempt for Rand's praise of selfishness.'

I am now alternating between Power, Inc and Global Weirdness, the latter making the case for and outlining possible consequences of climate change.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to The Martian War: A Thrilling Eyewitness Account of the Recent Alien Invasion as Reported by Mr. H. G. Wells by Kevin J Anderson, narrated by Graeme Norton. A retelling of the War of the Worlds story with characters such as Percival Lowell, Dr Moreau, T.H. Huxley and The Invisible Man added.

8. RJDiogenes

^^ Sounds good. I love that sort of crossover. Manly Wade Wellman wrote a pretty decent novel about Sherlock Holmes during the War of the Worlds (Professor Challenger was in there, too).

9. Miss Chicken

Yes, I have read and enjoyed that one.

10. Miss Chicken

Just finished Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston, narrated by Scott Sowers. 4/5.

Audible description

I am now listening to Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett, narrated by Richard Aspel. Description

Because I am a child at heart I think I will enjoy it.

11. RJDiogenes

I'm now reading Sabrina Zbasnik's third Dwarves In Space novel. Well, this one is more of a novella.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finally finished the brief history of the Roman Empire that I was reading, bit of a chore in the end but that was less down to the author than just the confused bloody nature of the Roman Empire towards the end of its life! :)

Now reading The Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth...

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

14. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Heavens Before (Genesis Trilogy) by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow and really enjoying it. It's about the times of Noah in the Bibie. I'll probably to break in and read the final book in the Last Dogs series by Christopher Holt and Allen Douglas.

15. Miss Chicken

I am listening to 14 by Peter Clines.

I am only a few chapters in but it is good so far.

16. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got done with Curtains by Agatha Christie. So sad :(, yet VERY well done.

17. Velocity

Vertigo 42 by Martha Grimes

18. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enough to keep me busy until at least the end of the year :)
    (I've already read "Raise the Dawn", which is why it's not in the pile)

[​IMG]

19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

If you're into Roman history, you should check out the HArdcore History podcast, they have an amazing, multi-part series on the Fall of the Roman Republic (rise of Julius Caesar, etc), surprising in its scope and depth. it's not brief, but it is very interesting.

As for me, rereading the Dream Park books, because I somehow missed a fourth one came out in 2011. These would make a fantastic film franchise, I don't know why someone hasn't done this.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thanks I might check that out :techman: