Villainous relations? [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AJBlue98, Dec 7, 2012.

1. AJBlue98

AJBlue98 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It seems to me that Mr. Orci’s comments about the “Benedict Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell” rumour being off by a single word means nothing. Change the “is,” the “Gary,” or the “Mitchell,” and Mr. Cumberbatch is playing some other character. Insert the word “playing,” and the statement transforms from metaphor to fact.

But I have yet to see anyone here latch onto the extra several seconds of audio in the Japanese trailer, which features extra dialogue and visuals.

In the extended cut, we hear Cumberbatch reciting the line, “is there anything you would not do for your family?” over an image of two hands pressed against each other, through a plate of glass, à la Spock’s death scene in TWOK. It may be worth noting here that while Spock’s face is not clearly visible in this shot, the arm whose hand and palm is facing the camera is clad in a Starfleet sciences uniform, and the other arm, palm away, is clad in a black or charcoal coloured sleeve, like the dark Starfleet uniform Cumberbatch is shown wearing earlier.
    And then there's the shot from earlier in the trailer, where Uhura, visibly devastated, clings to Scotty.

So here’s what I'm theorizing: Cumberbatch is Sybok. Yes, yes, Lawrence Luckinbill had pointy ears in STV, and Cumberbatch does not in 2012. But the guy’s also crazy, so I wouldn’t put it past him, in an alternate version of the Trek timeline, for Spock’s half-brother to get an ear job out of … different motivations from Luckinbill’s version of the character.

Either that, or he might just be Kodos the Executioner.

What do you think?

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I've seen some say he's Sybok in the trailer thread.
    My opinion? No way.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Hmmm. Choose a character from a Trek film even non-Trek fans have heard of and/or like? Or one from a film even some Trek fans despise?

Tough call.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The hand in the blue uniform is clearly in LLAP position.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Part of me is hoping that the bonus scene from the Japanese trailer isn't even in the movie. It's just JJ and Co. trying to fuck with us.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

So Sybok cut his eartips off? That's hardcore.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought we had to keep all comments on the other thread?

Anyway, Sybok wasn't a murderer at all. Violence was contrary to his plan and became upset when his followers became violent.

"Do you realize what you've done? It isn't bloodshed I wanted!"

8. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Me neither. If he is a Starfleet insider (as the synopsis suggests), a routine physical would have detected he is a Vulcan.

9. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure there were some photos while the film was in production, of a fight scene, that showed Cumberbatch's villain bleeding red blood from a cut on his leg.

But that might not disprove a Sybok theory outright. It's sci-fi and that can probably be explained away as infiltration. Changes made so he can pass as a human.

Out of all the fan theories, the only I don't for a second believe could be possible... is Khan. Even then, he could be a Khan-like augment/superman.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. teacake

*cough* Arne Darvin.

11. AJBlue98

AJBlue98 Lieutenant Red Shirt

What other thread?

12. teacake

You believe Sybok over Khan?

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I do, too. Khan just seems too obvious.

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Sybok? Haha, no.

15. teacake

The movie opens with Cumberbatch as a Vulcan slicing the tips of his ears off.

16. ChristopherPike

I think Khan was always a non-starter. Mentioning the possibility just fuels the hype.

Those involved in the Abramsverse, whether long-time fans or who became interested along the way to the first film, are likely weary of simply remaking "Space Seed" or Star Trek II TWOK. Particularly the latter because it's a classic. Even stealing from both, and making a halfway between the two would lack imagination.

I think common sense tells you Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Ricardo Montalban's part. The Abramsverse recasting has otherwise been fairly true to the originals for that.

Khan-like, I think. Or somebody from Starfleet, perhaps a Captain like Garth from a different earlier era - instead of learning how to shapechange (as in TOS), he's somehow been given above normal strength.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So Cumberbatch uses the word "family" (without even knowing the context), and that's complete justification that he's Sybok? Ridiculous. Never mind the fact that 1.) Sybok in TFF was not any kind of evil or murderous gun-toting killer, and 2.) using a character from one of the most reviled Trek movies in Trekkie history would not have been my first choice were I Damon Lindeloff or Alex Kurtzman.

Oh, and Cumberbatch's ears aren't pointed. That's like, you know, a dead giveaway. :rolleyes:

18. ChristopherPike

The Enterprise crew are Kirk's family now clearly. Cumberbatch's villain is simply threatening the Captain, questioning how far he'll have to sacrifice his morality in order to stop him and keep them save, and so forth... I expect.

I don't really read that as the bad guy being related to Kirk, or Spock, or whoever else, myself.

Maybe I'm not reading enough into it. Usually I'm pretty good at reading far too much into what's not there!

Wanting vengeance might not be personal, as in against a particular individual. Perhaps it's against the whole of Starfleet. Maybe he's got it in for the whole organisation.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it's Sybok. The first movie featured a villain with a personal animus against Spock. Granted Sybok did not have a personal beef with Spock in Final Frontier, but obviously this guy in the trailer is malevolent whereas Sybok had been misguided.

With the mention of family, I'm thinking it's George Samuel Kirk. His scenes were cut from the first movie, but I don't recall them saying Kirk was an only child-it's been a long time since I saw the movie-but that doesn't stick out as something that was said.

I think it's personal for Kirk this time and what could more personal than fighting your brother? Other than that I'm guessing Gary Mitchell, Finnegan, or Janice Lester-hey, she found any earlier host.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think you're probably right. I think Cumberbatch might be talking his character's family (like how Nero's motivations were related to saving his wife) and asking how far Kirk would go to save his own.