A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine that if Bean wanted to know or the showrunners thought it would improve his performance (pause for laughter at the notion of Bean being that subtle an actor), they would indeed tell him about Jon's parentage, assuming they know themselves. And I believe George R. R. Martin himself had said that he would share unrevealed information about their characters with the actors if asked. Apparently Martin told Alfie Allen who Jon's parents were-- he would hardly tell the guy who plays Theon and refuse the guy who plays Ned.

Both of your other questions will be addressed in one way or another in book 4, so I'd just say, read on.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I recall reading somewhere that GRRM had told Benioff and Weiss where the story was going, but now I can't remember where or if that was even true. :alienblush:

3. Brendan Moody

^You remember right. Martin said that Benioff and Weiss know "some" of the ending in this interview, and I'm sure he's repeated as much elsewhere.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I seem to recall he might have mentioned that in one of the S1 DVD/BRD extras, maybe. I remember hearing/seeing/reading that as well.

5. Skywalker

Woohoo! For once my memory didn't fail me! :lol:

But yeah, I don't see why GRRM wouldn't have told Sean Bean the truth if he had asked about it. Bean's a professional, he wouldn't go off and tell everyone else.

6. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

7. Brendan Moody

Well, Bean did go off and make comments that, unless you parse them carefully, suggest that Jon isn't Ned's father. And Alfie Allen said that it was "a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation."

8. Skywalker

Eh, that I don't mind. Dropping hints and such like that isn't the same as coming out and actually saying "Jon is So-and-so's son!"

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to get the feeling that the GOT producers will have to make up an original ending for the show, since it seems it is very unlikely that Martin will finish the book series in time.:scream:

10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well that's pretty much a no brainer. It's the other way round that's interesting. ;)

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Haven't fans been speculating about this ever since the first book was released? So, what is that... 20 years?:p

12. Brendan Moody

Sure, most fans have long taken it for granted that Ned isn't Jon's father, but Martin never used to admit even that much, so it's interesting that he's apparently telling actors (even those who have no possible need to know) and doesn't seem peeved that they're dropping hints all over the place. Maybe he figures so many people have accepted the theory that it's not worth the pretense. Or maybe he's planning a big double-twist where Jon is Ned's after all. That would amuse me.

13. Kosh Naranek

Well I started book 4 last night.

Jamie should be worried. Every person that Brienne has sworn an oath to is dead. He should just crawl up on the bier next to dear old dad.

Brienne is just a loyal Golden Retriever is she not? Somehow I doubt that the gal's efforts will amount to much.

Jon has just sent his best support away. I get that he is worried that Melisandre will harm Aemon, but is sending a man over 100 on a long journey the best plan Jon? Plus, now he does not have Sam watching his back. Becoming a maester is a long process. Jon has just sent Sam away for years. That choice may be best for Sam, but it is probably going to come back to haunt Jon.

I find that I was giving Cersei too much credit in the cunning department. Her chapters paint a picture of a vacuous, stupid conniver. I hope she falls hard. She keeps thinking that she will be greater than her father. Currently I doubt she would make a wart on Tywin's backside.

I offically love Kevan Lannister for calling her out and saying she is bad mother.

Little Tommen seems sweet. I hope the child survives all this.

Jamie is heading down an interesting road. However, I have my doubts about Jamie's life expectancy or that of any Lannister. Although his nieces and his people doubt it, I think Doran Martell is up to something. He strikes me as a long game type of guy. Plus, Jon has taken on the role of Lord Commander, but he was sitting there thinking about destroying the Lannisters...

I wonder if Jamie seeing the three headed dragon mosaic in the floor below the tunnels is foreshadowing? It seemed to hint that his doom might be tied up in the Targeryns. Or maybe I just read more into that bit than there actually was?

Also, Damphair is officially batshit, but I don't know how much of his prattle I can take. It does crack me up that he sees himself as this hardened threat. The Iron Born just strike me as a gaggle of nitwits.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Aeron Damphair is completely insane but I found him a lot of fun. He's one of my faourite tertiary characters.

Well, Sean Bean obviously needed to know. Ned Stark is one of the few people who definitely knows Jon Snow's parentage, after all.

So who else did he tell? Peter Dinklage?

15. Kosh Naranek

An earlier poster said that Alfie Allen (Theon) knows. Evidently Allen asked Martin because Allen really wanted to know and Martin told him who Jon's parents are.

Allen quipped that Jon has the whole Luke Skywalker thing going on.

16. Brendan Moody

Considering how little emphasis the scripts place on Ned and Jon, and given Bean's, er, less than nuanced acting style, I think they could have gotten away with not telling Bean, if they really wanted to keep it close to the vest. And Alfie Allen, whose character pretty plainly doesn't know in the books, is another thing altogether.

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could have gotten away with? Sure.

David Prowse had no idea that Darth Vader was Luke's father when filming the scene where Vader tells him exactly that (instead having been told the key line was 'Obi-Wan killed your father.')

But if you want this detail to in any way inform how the actor behaves towards his 'son', then it's a good idea to tell him. Whether or not Sean Bean had no subtelty in his Ned Stark performance is hindsight. I thought the show handled it fairly well - Ned Stark is shown being very recitent when talking about Jon's mother with Robert Baratheon, for example.

18. Brendan Moody

If you look back at the Vulture interview with Bean in which he made the comments we're discussing, he notes how Ned's behavior toward/about Jon could be dramatically justified whether Jon is his son or not. Exactly because the TV series is leaving it as an open question, and given that there are all of two scenes where it comes up, it would have been perfectly possible to tell Bean what Ned's attitude, is but not precisely why it exists, without noticeably affecting the result. But I suppose my belief that Bean invariably gives a stiff, barely-adequate performance no matter the background may be a factor here.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've never been a big fan but I did like him in this and in LOTR. Fair enough, neither was a particularly subtle or demanding role but I thought that each played to his strengths and he brought the requisite authority and presence to the table.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought Bean was phenomenal in Game of Thrones.