Special features wishlist for blu-ray of new Trek TV series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 9, 2015.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I think we all know that with the new 2017 Trek TV series streaming on CBSAA in US that there will be a physical release of the 1st season on Blu-ray and most likely 4k UHD Blu-ray. Either November-December 2017 or January 2018 release.
    Will CBS hire producers Robert Meyer Burnett & Roger Lay Jr. Who were responsible for the creation of the new bonus features on Star Trek: The Next Generation's & ST:ENT remastered Blu-Ray releases for this series to create value-added-material (VAM) as special features?
    If this is a 10-13 episode series I want multiple audio commentary tracks on every episode. Writers, directors, producers, director of photography, editors, showrunner.
    I want 3 audio commentary tracks just on the pilot. One with most of the principle cast and a text-only trivia track.
    Maybe a isolated music-only audio track for one episode.
    Screentests with most of the principle cast.
    Gag reel.
    Deleted scenes with unfinished greenscreen background shots.
    7.1.4 Dolby Atmos audio of each episode
    A one-hour length documentary of the new series pre-production and production of the series including casting, writing, set design/construction, costume design, ship design, tech in the show, cgi model and visual FX work, screentests with costume and makeup, cameratests
    A 5 minute docu about the season 1 story arc and episode story arcs and themes.
    Most of the primary cast and crew read through the premiere episode's script. "Table read"
    A 5 minute docu introducing all of the characters
    A 15 minute docu of launching the first Trek TV show in the age of social media and on SVOD CBSAA platform including the marketing campaign including SDComicCon and the Vegas TrekCon and 50th Anniversary.

What will you guys want as special features if you were to buy the 1st season on Blu-ray?

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A 6 dollar reimbursement and an apology from Alex Kurtzman.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The alternate, extended cut of the pilot episode, featuring at least one completely different character, and a handful of different scenes that fit the flow of the episode but make absolutely no sense in the context of the rest of the series.

Kor

4. jefferiestubes8

I think I am underestimating the 20-year old technology base of the physical media DVD.
    CBS.com website has a link to Shop.
    On that here are the categories:
    Shows
    Apparel
    DVDs
    New Arrivals
    Bestsellers
    Sale

It is 2015 and their website does not even have a Blu-ray format section. The Blu-ray format was announced in 2003 and won the HD format war in 2007. 8 years later CBS still doesn't even have it as their sole home video category but instead the standard definition media name that CBS' majority audience (over age 55) owns.

On CBS website when you click on DVD you get
    CBS Store › DVDs
    which has the blu-rays that are available right next to the DVD of the same TV series' season.
    I know we will see the new series on Blu-ray in late 2017 but now I am pretty sure that CBS will expect a number of Trekkies to still have DVD players and not have upgraded to HD...

5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm too old, but I don't expect to purchase any Blu-rays of the new series or any other series for that matter. I have a fairly sizable DVD collection that I stopped adding to around 2011, and never purchased a Blu-ray or blu-ray player.

I guess I'm jaded, but I don't expect Blu-ray to be around in ten or twenty years from now. The world seems to be moving in a direction away from physical media.

6. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Streaming won't truly replace physical media until bandwidth and broadband speeds allow it.

Right now, streaming quality is not as good as physical media, but is definitely beginning to come close. This is why I think 4K UHD Blu-ray will be a flop.

7. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope they shoot and create animations in 8k so when they get ready to finally release the 8k version on eye chip implant, the cost won't be an excuse for CBS.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have a 50 MB/s internet connection plus a 4K TV and 4K streaming doesn't even look as good as most Blu-ray's.

9. jefferiestubes8

resolution 4k or 6k shoot and master?

dub while this is humor 6k resolution for shooting in is quite the possibility. See the thread
    Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series
    I specifically mention with a source House of Cards season 3 was shot & mastered in 6k and on the shelf ready to use in the future.
    That thread's discussion gets into the technical details of Futureproofing the show.

10. jefferiestubes8

Would the Blu-ray include the rumored for CBSAA but unannounced Star Trek DSC aftershow 45 minute talk show like The Talking Dead?
    also
    With only 13 episodes of Star Trek DSC they will need documentaries, commentaries, and something else to be able to charge $89.-119. USD SRP for the 1st season on blu-ray.

Oh I just checked again. I had posted in 2015 that cbs.com had a section for SHOP and it listed DVD. Not even Blu-ray.
    Still now the same design and wording for products in September 2016. Their buying audience is obviously a older demo. They just list blu-ray discs in the same section as DVDs.

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let Axanar be finished independently and include it so we can compare it against Discovery and judge for ourselves.

Unless CBS Television is scared too of course.

12. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think multiple commentary tracks for each episode is a bit much to ask, I'd be delighted with just getting one per episode. A production documentary, a gag reel and deleted scenes would be nice too.

If we're lucky, we'll get something like the Game of Thrones Blu-ray sets. If not, we'll just get a few short featurettes and maybe one or two commentary tracks.