MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

:lol::lol:

Well, folks say "wouldn't you have taken another 70 million?"

Nope, to play in Seattle? ... when I could have my number retired in Yankee stadium?

Not a chance in hell.

So, for his career in baseball he would make 230 million vice 300 million?

I mean really, what's the difference? Ego? another toaster?

It's just greed.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Seattle's a nice city. He already won a world championship. $70 million is a lot of money. I can't say I blame him.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I keep forgetting that Robbie had only been a Yankee for a few years. Sometimes it seemed like he'd been there forever.

In any case, Kelly Johnson (whoever the hell that is) notwithstanding, there's still plenty of time for the Yanks to get a real second baseman. And I hope they make use of the money that they would have paid Robbie to find some decent pitching.

Agreed that Seattle is a nice city, though. :)

4. Yanks

9 years for Robbie.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally. He was here in with the Bravos some years ago and not too impressive then either. I was shocked to see that he got a chance to play in pinstripes. Bargain basement deal.

6. Yanks

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Thats the problem...what do they have to trade? Nothing that will get atleast a #2 or #3 starter, which is what they need.

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh god, not Brunnett.

Jimenez would be alright.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, what are these 'trade chips' the Yankees have that you're talking about? Someone would probably take Gardner, outside of that, everyone's either on massive deals, old, injured, or usually all 3. And the minor league system is pretty gutted, so I think there's a pitcher there with some hype, but pretty much it...

And Red Sox just resigned Napoli. 2 years, 32 Mil. Turned down a bigger offer from the Rangers to play in Boston. Pretty happy with this one, and comes pretty close to wrapping up the off-season for the Sox, unless they wanna make a splashy trade somewhere. (Kemp, Stanton, random other name no one thought was available). Should be down to just minor moves now, and still a SP surplus at the moment, so expect one of Peavy, Dempster, or maybe even Lackey to go in some sort of deal. Either moved for a chip, or as part of a bigger package for something more interesting...

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Carlos Beltran to the Yankees. 3-year deal, 45 mil. Linky

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That is Awesome! He is one of my favorite Mets, so to get to watch him play with the Yanks is great.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So when will Yankee Stadium officially be renamed the George Steinbrenner Memorial Retirement Home?

13. Yanks

They have cash too...

Agree, as long as they don't sell the farm for him.

Very nice signing. Very nice.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Other than him being 37 already, sure. That, and as we just discussed, OF was the only area the Yankees seemed reasonably decent. Now you've got Gardner-Ellsbury-Beltran, and Soriano and Ichiro are bench players I guess. Oh, and one more year of Vernon Wells, too. Yankees got other teams to subsidize some of their cost, but that's $45.5 million worth of BENCH players in the OF. And likely have to give one of them away now (and pay the bill), as there's no trade value there and you can't carry 3 backup OFs, especially if they think they should still be regular players...

Beltran in a vacuum is a nice player, but it just wasn't an area of need, and the 3rd year is a bit much. 2/30 would have been a nice signing. For the Yankees, though, would have been better to spend the 15/year on pitching. Expect Infante to the Yankees next, as that's basically the only option left worth discussing for 2B...

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Maybe you missed the memo, but you can't outright buy and sell players anymore.

What farm? :lol:

Three years for an old outfielder who's on the downswing of his career and has arthritic knees isn't exactly a great move, and I'm not sure how one justifies that after letting Cano walk over contract length.

What was that about you not believing Project 189 to be real? :lol:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. Mr. Laser Beam

Probably about the 1,000,000th time somebody tells that joke, which should be any minute now ;)

17. Yanks

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

When the Cubs SENT you Soriano, they had to pay most of his salary to get you to take him. What makes you think someone will give you anything of value for him now?

Gardner, there's some value there. Not enough for someone to go crazy for, but at least a chip.

And yeah, back on Beltran: still the same problem/question. OF was already decent, so why spend the money there instead of where it needs to go? And if you took the Ellsbury money and the Beltran money, you'd have had Cano instead. I know which one I'D have rather had. Where's Beltran going to play? Every day right fielder, with Ichiro, Wells, and Soriano on the bench? Just an odd use of money...

19. Yanks

I thought that was Wells on the cheap.

We needed to add another good bat. Beltran fits the bill. The outfield will get less crowded I think.

I don't want to see Gardner go, but we need to land a starting pitcher.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Still all sort of the same issue, though. Think about it:

You brought in Ellsbury to play CF, who's basically Gardner but a little better. Now signed Beltran as well, so now you basically have to get rid of Gardner (or Soriano/Ichiro), and the bonus is that money then wasn't available for Cano, where there was an ACTUAL need. Just seems like a screwed up plan...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.