The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Pretty great setup and display there, OdoWan! You probably have more TV box sets on disc than most people I know.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

got my first Robot Damashii today. this is the Age Gundam. haven't had a lot of time to play around with it or pose it, but i'm really pleased with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cooleddie74

Brand new figures for the upcoming 6" Black Series line have just been revealed!

To cut to the chase:

Anakin (Episode III)
    Obi-Wan (Episode III)
    Greedo
    Bespin Luke
    Boba Fett
    Slave Leia
    Han Solo (Episode IV)
    Stormtrooper (Episode IV)

The Boba Fett is probably the SDCC exclusive figure from this coming summer that will be repacked for mess retail, but without the Han in Carbonite.

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Playtime for The Avengers! Hawkeye and Black Widow love the discs with their photos on them.

[​IMG]

Iron Man and Hulk have their own skateboards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clint and Tasha borrow Hulk's board to give the kids a ride.

[​IMG]

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Those are pretty cool KM along with the stitch previously posted!

I agree with OdoWan regarding those 12 inch Star Wars figures.

6. cooleddie74

The NY Toy Fair images of that new 12" Darth Vader looked so much better than what we see in that packaged photo. His helmet and armor looked more realistic and much shinier, though it's possible that Hasbro deliberately brought their best, spiffed-up production copy of the figure to the Fair so the product would come off looking more appealing. The finish on the Vader in that box looks dreadful. It's like he's a big, black shampoo bottle or something.

I know these are cheap figures aimed at kids and younger buyers and designed to play with and bash around, but it's pretty bad when 12" figures designed and made all the way back at the end of the seventies look a lot better and much more accurate than toys designed and made in this era of cutting-edge toy design and sculpting.

7. cooleddie74

Carded photos of four of the figures in the brand new, reduced articulation and lower-pricepoint ($5.99 or thereabouts here in the U.S.) Saga Legends line.

Based on the style of the "4+" age recommendation in the upper right hand corner of the cardfront these appear to be European or Asian samples of these figures. Still, the American cardfront will be almost identical except for the familiar "Choking Hazard" warning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other figures in the very first Saga Legends assortment are Episode III Anakin, Episode III Obi-Wan, Mace Windu and a plain white Clone Trooper (Phase I armor). Suffice it to say, these cheaper, much more modestly articulated figures with less tooling are aimed at kids, younger collectors and cost-conscious parents looking to spend less. Future waves are rumored to contain an Original Trilogy Stormtrooper and other classic characters.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh, the droid is okay but pass on the others.

I picked up the Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime from Toysrus. It truly is a Masterpiece and has made me want to get the others but they cost a small fortune. However, I hear Soundwave is being released at Toysrus later in the year so should be less than the insane prices eBay are asking for.

9. cooleddie74

I imagine a $5.99 Stormtrooper - even with minimal, POTF2-style articulation hearkening back to the mid-nineties - would be perfect army building and diorama fodder for a lot of collectors. That's a price many won't be able to turn down even if the figure won't have the best paint apps and sculpting given the cheaper, less sophisticated tooling and retail price.

10. cooleddie74

11. Admiral_Young

Think I'll be getting the Episode III Palpatine figure out of those listed.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

13. Kira's Mom

Got my copy of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters today. Hawkeye thinks Hansel seems familiar...

[​IMG]

...and decides to investigate.

[​IMG]

14. cooleddie74

There's a theory on one of the collecting sites that this Emperor will be based on his appearance when he stands before the Senate, condemns the Jedi Order and declares the birth of the Galactic Empire. The only other Palpatine that's been made in those "Proclamation" robes was a kid-friendly Deluxe figure that hit stores when Episode III was first released, and the action features made him bulky and awkward. A super articulated remake with much better sculpting might be pretty cool.

15. Admiral_Young

^ That's what I was kind of thinking he would be. I like to call that Palps the Order 66 Palps.

16. cooleddie74

Black Series packaging probably won't list the scene or context upon which a figure is based (otherwise the new Padmé would have the words "Geonosis Arena" or something similar on her cardback), but I imagine the new Episode III Palpatine would be referred to amongst collectors as "Order 66" or "Imperial Proclamation" Palpatine.

17. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oh, nice! thats a lot of Zords.

19. cooleddie74

Impressive.

20. Kira's Mom

HULK NO LIKE CICADAS. HULK SMASH!

[​IMG]

HULK NOT KNOW WHAT KIND FLOWER. BUT HULK LIKE!

[​IMG]

Hulk, Clint, and Tasha inspect the lilies.

[​IMG]

Clint likes this one:

[​IMG]