They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by GalaxyX, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m

Again, Shatner had a perfectly satisfying exit in "The Undiscovered Country" and an encore of sorts in "Generations." To my mind, that's more than enough.

I mean, you don't see people clamoring for Adam West to make a cameo in the next Batman movie! :)

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I agree - it was 'Generations' more than enough.

If they'd have left it with 'Undiscovered Country' I'd have had no issues...

3. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From the "Star Trek Destination" convention:

So, people, it's over :(

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I suspect it always was.

I get the distinct impression that Shatner is having a grand time remaining on the sidelines and basking in the attention he gets as a result of these movies—and there's been quite a lot of that, so far—without having any official involvement in the productions nor any duty to go out and be Captain Kirk™ one more time.

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Good.

Leonard Nimoy played Spock with dignity in both 09 and ID. It worked, adding depth and dimension to the character we know and love.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Shatner ham it up as Kirk at the Oscars(?). So he was Captain Kirk (sort of) one more time.

6. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

But that was just a cameo of him wishing Spock a happy birthday long after he was dead. We need him to be back alive.

7. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would be awesome. Just like in Skyfall, there was a part for Sean Connery but it was deemed to be too demeaning and they gave it to someone else.

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh it was so much more than that. His narration carried the film to it's conclusion and helped to (in my view) better tie up the themes of friendship. Older Spock talked with Younger Kirk, and Older Kirk (via message) talked with Younger Spock. Informing both younger selves of what the other would come to mean to them. It's a shame we never got that, because I think it was damn compelling. :)

Now, I just don't see the point. There's nothing an older Kirk could contribute to a story now, really. Except to undo the bad ending he got in Generations, which isn't quite enough. That's a fan reason to want him back.

9. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't understand the concept of Kirk&Spock deep friendship due to "destiny".
    If nuCrew should have nearly the same destiny as prime Crew, then why nuSpock is so emotional (he even screams!) and his girlfriend is Uhura? If so, then nuKirk and nuSpock may have their own destiny without inevitable and obligatory friendship (bromance).

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know the original Spock had relationships with humans - there's his past with Leila Kolrami (and the events of the novel Vulcan's Glory, written by D.C. Fontana herself, where a young Spock has a casual affair with a Vulcan officer). And as for the emotion, this Spock watched his mother die, saw his entire planet destroyed, then experienced Pike's death literally first hand (via mind meld), and then watched his best friend die - all in the space of a year. Old Spock never endured anything as devastating as that.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'd ask ITL to Photoshop that character mashup, but I worry that it might leave him permanently scarred.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can one play Strategema with a single eye?