Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

This thread is about the comic books, not the movies. :)

Speaking of, more new number ones. New Avengers and Uncanny Avengers were okay, nothing spectacular. Amazing Spidey was good as always. Guardians of the Galaxy was vaguely interesting as always.

I think on the whole I'm not as impressed with the post-Secret Wars lineup as I am with what came before it... particularly in the Avengers franchise. I'm going to miss Hickman.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reed Richards saved us from dealing with Johnny Storm's sense of fashion for the last 50 years.

My god, his new costume to ####ing terrible.

He's like a 4 year old let loose on mommy's make up.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read an article on Kotaku about the new Dr. Doom introduced in Invincible Iron Man. That sounds like that's quite a bit of a change. How often have they done a maskless Doom like this? I'm pretty sure I saw something either here, or on one of the comic sites talking about that but I can't remember for sure.
    Even if all of them don't last, I do have to compliment Marvel for at least trying to take some chances with things like this, Jane Thorster, and Sam Wilson as Captain America.

4. Guy Gardener

His face isn't horrifically scared anymore.

Why would he need a mask?

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Two issues in, and no mention of Doom's activities during Secret Wars.

Bendis has him saying "Uh-huh" at one point. Perhaps he's mellower without the scars.

IO9 has an article on the new Doom here. One commentator likens the old Doom to an evil Brian Blessed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. Guy Gardener

Real Doom has been arranging the collapse of the universe for seven years before the end of the universe. Several fake Dooms (Robots? Brainwashed stooges?) have been pretending to be Doom since that point where he decided to take on the responsibility for saving the Universe from the Beyonders.

(Walter Simonson did something similar for FF #350. Real Doom was back from space and had no idea that a Robit had been pretending to be Doom since FF#40 thereabouts.)

When was 7 years ago in Marvel-Time that this Doom hasn't been defeated so easily and so often by almost everyone from one edge of 616 to the other? This new Doom, classic original Doom did mention his Arthurian adventure with Stark (Iron Man #150. September 1981.) which was a long time ago anyway you look at it.

:)

Remember the urge to play a new video game, and how that urge vanished the moment you finally clocked the SOB? Doom ruled two Universes for 2 decades, which has to equate to clocking life (twice). This time around in a third universe(?), Doom seems like he might be going to play a different game with a different character where the final object is maybe not Universal Domination?

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Bendis tends to ignore established portrayals of characters and continuity when he writes them. All his characters basically sound the same.

And yet, I still read his comics. :wtf: ;)

8. Guy Gardener

Bendiscomics are the Lego Movie.

EVERYONEISAWSOME!

Hmmm.

S'how did Stark get fixed from the Axis Inversion?

Did that backwards morality just magically remedy/reset when the universe burped, just like when he was no longer a 16 year old idiot when the Universe Burped for Heroes Reborn?

On the other hand, I've always wanted to see Doom be a good guy.

Y'know suppress his inner prick long enough to bolster the common good.

It seems to be what almost happens a lot, and then often for no reason Victor just Scorpions everyone which is stupid and self-destructive. You'd think a genius would notice that his plans always fuck up as soon as he betrays the heroes trusting him to save the day with them?

Although when cloaked Kang and invisible Doom did a buddy movie to get the Infinity Gauntlet while the main players were distracted, that was ####ing Awesome.

Just finished the last four issues of Secret Wars 2099.

Hercules being a drunk shit was the best bit, but I gotta wonder if Peter David might not need a break if this is new standard of excellence?

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would argue that Doom has been a good guy for the entirety of Hickman's run, starting in Fantastic Four, through Time Runs Out, climaxing in Secret Wars where he literally saves the universe from destruction at the hands of the Ivory Kings.

10. Guy Gardener

Well Hickman was painting a complicated character for years.

BRAVO!

But did Doom save the universe, or did Doom save the Universe for himself?

Seems a little selfish?

Ruling and saving did seem like a drag, but really that's his signature endgame.

Lets recall by the way that Victor saved one universe by prematurely collapsing infinite other universes.

The Molecule Man is the bomb by which the Beyonders were going to Destroy the multiverse, so exactly how much time did Doom steal from all that cross-strata of infinite realities? Millennia, centuries, years months or hours?

You'd think maybe that a trillion, trillion trillion realities lasting for another hour, might be better than one reality lasting for another trillion years? Because that was the choice Doom had, quality vs. quantity, and he picked a blood bath to save his peeps.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doom saved the Universe because he couldn't bare the idea that Richards might do it instead. And stole Reed's family while he was at it.

Doom does not say "uh-huh." And Doom must speak in the third person.

"If someone must become God, then let that someone be DOOM."

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Uncanny X-Men #600 was a massive disappointment. In the "finale" to the Bendis X-Men run, nothing even happens. It's a series of little character vignettes resolving nothing. Evil Cyclops stages a gathering in Washington DC.... and literally nothing happens. What was the point of that? I'm a moderate Bendis fan (I loved his Avengers run) but I gotta say, his X-Run was just a huge disappointment across the board.

It's particularly weird because in Extraordinary X-Men #1 (which was just okay), they keep going on about the horrible thing that Cyclops did making everyone hate mutants now. Hunh? Does this happen in the finale of Secret Wars or something? Cyclops was practically a hero in UXM600...

13. Guy Gardener

What they said in Extraordinary was "They used to Fear and hate us, now they just hate us."

Yeah. They tricked me too. :(

More could have happened in #600.

I loved my theory that meangirl Jean Grey made Bobby gay with telepathic brainwashing.

LOVEDIT!

But now that's been nixxed, since the older one is out of the closet too.

I think Beast is going to be a Bad guy in one of the new books, at least that would be the only "sane" response to the failed intervention we saw.

The new Iron Man on the other hand had me literally laughing out loud.

Seriously, how can you not say that to a woman, after you kiss her for the first time?

:D

Drax. Written by CM Punk from the WWE. Not Awful. Didn't like the Thor he wrote last year, but I'm not fond of pure Asgard stories, but this was a fun read. Does he own his own name? Because people have to hand over a wheelbarrow of cash to Vince McMahon any time they want to call Dwanye "The Rock".

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was CM Punk prior to WWE and held on to his rights to it, so yes.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently Drax is actually co-written with Cullen Bunn.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yep, Uncanny X-Men #600 was a massive pile of garbage. but then the whole Bendis run was pretty awful. wasn't too impressed with Extraordinary X-Men #1 either.

17. Guy Gardener

Spider-Man is going well, Peter playing a poor man's Bruce Wayne... Johnny is being a shit, but what books are Reed, Susan and Valeria (No one loves Franklin?) going to live in?

(Yes I googled, but that damn stupid movie is muddying all the search returns.)

Ant-Man is really good.

They admit that Cassie was Stature, but it's almost like she's somehow regressed 5 years. She's going to soccer practice, while kate Bishop is almost nearly making out with Clint Barton.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect we'll have to find out what happens to Sue and Reed in the SW finale...as for Johnny...well...apparently he was the Sun in Battleworld for a long time so he probably has earned a bit of a reason to be a shit right now ;)

I agree about "Ant-Man".

"Invincible Iron Man" has been surprisingly decent so far. Find myself actually enjoying it. I wouldn't give Bendis too long on this though before he starts going into the gutter with it. The longer he has with any particular book, the worse he gets. With possible exceptions being Miles run, his DD run, and "Powers".

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thoughts on Dr.Strange?
    I flipped through it and decided to trade wait it. I didn't feel a sense of urgency in the title.

Hercules #1, anyone?
    I wanted to like that book, it felt too pedestrian.

Ant-Man #1 - I'm trade waiting out of spite. Restarting that title after only 5 issues is just wrong and I'm over that gimmick.

Hoping Black Knight #1 impresses me when I flip through it.
    Curious about the upcoming Red Wolf as well. The Turok fan in me wants to like this title.

I did get Howling Commandoes of SHIELD #1 and found the set up good with room to grow even though I bought the book solely for Man-Thing. Hoping he gets a good robust portrayal and wouldn't mind his vocal abilities to be revived from his Thunderbolts run.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't picked up a comic in years but strolling by the comic shop I popped in and grabbed it (both issues) because I liked Bachalo back in the day. I'd agree on your assessment on the urgency and trade suitability.