Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, my new giddy toys have arrived, the Farscape complete series and the movie/miniseries om DVD.

I seen a few episodes of farscape, nothing in order, just remember that you had a earth guy stuck in space, that Claudia Black uberhot, and some episodes had a slinky white chick, and they had really good puppets, and Rigal is hilarious.

However, I am going to sit down and watch it, mixing it in with DS9 and Babylon 5.....

2. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you've got the gist of it. :) You're in for an awesome ride - Crichton is awesome...well, the rest of them are too - Stark, D'Argo, Chiana, Scorpius, Braca, Crais, and Rigel...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to following your first-time watch! Enjoy the ride!

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched it for the first time in February with the $50 DVD deal topic. It's amazing the ride, the universe is so crazy and large and different season 1 is slow typical sci-fi show at times, but they build from an episode you never thought they would and created something huge. It's stunning. Best space opera ever.

4. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, Farscape is an awesome, underrated series. Seems like every few months, we get someone who's only now getting into the series. :-)

Definitely post your thoughts as you go, and for anyone else playing the home game, I might add that Farscape is also on Netflix Watch Instantly, though the DVD's are definitely worth the investment.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Favorite show of all time. :D

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I agree, you're in for a great time.

Since it's not as long as, say, the various Star Trek series', it's something that can be watched in a relatively short amount of time, like a month, and you won't forget a lot that's happened.

When I first got the Starburst editions (single sided), a few at considerable cost, I watched the entire run plus the movie in about 6 weeks.

That was a few years ago, so I think I'm due for a re-watch.

Any chance it'll ever get a blu-ray release? I don't know the specifics of how it was recorded/filmed.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I very much doubt it will ever happen. The show was never popular enough for warrant that kind of release (though you bet your ass I would be first in line to buy it if it ever happened!).

8. Ar-Pharazon

^ Well it got the current re-release, though I'm unaware of any extra work that went into it.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, the show has the same problem that TNG, DS9, and VOY face when it comes to an HD release -- the effects were created at SD resolutions and would therefore look pretty crummy in HD. Due to the cult popularity of the show (at best), a Blu-Ray release of any quality is rather unlikely.

That said, if it did come true, I'd be fighting RoJoHen to be the first to get it -- easily my favorite series of all time.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, the joy of noob.

Enjoy the ride.

11. Ar-Pharazon

You'd be fighting RoJoHen, to be second, actually :biggrin:

12. Distorted Humor

think on the bright side, since I just purchased the DVDs, there is a good chance for a blue ray announcement in the next month or so with my luck ;)

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the Farscape people said that of course there will be a blurry release as soon as someone gives them 20 million to clean up the copies they have around. So it's never going to happen.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have so many reasons why I love Farscape. If I was going to try and summarize it (and do so badly), I'd say just a completely unapologetic space opera, but one that invetively and quirkily indulges in all manner of space opera cliches and then cranks up the weirdness.

I can probably count on both hands the amount of series I've made a point to watch cover to cover, from the first episode to the last, sequentially.

Farscape belongs on the much smaller list of shows I've done it more than once with. And I wouldn't rule out a third run in a few years, at that...
    I call first for Region 2!

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You're in for some fun. I got back into Farscape after buying the newest complete series set from A&E, and had a re-watch that lasted for several months early last year (one episode a night). In fact, I've been strongly considering doing that again, but this time pairing it up with a re-watch of Babylon 5 (something I did last in 2009), since those are my two favorite non-Star Trek sci-fi series.

16. Distorted Humor

Cool, I find if funny that I have yet to watch one episode and we are on page two of how awesome it is. Will be starting tonight...

17. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks to Netflix streaming, I've finally sampled the first few episodes and have to say I've really enjoyed it. It took a little while, but I've gotten past the "puppet" thing. I even get a little 80s Buck Rogers vibe from it, which is a good thing. Now, if we can just get Aeryn in electric blue spandex... :)

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Everybody loves it. That right there ought to tell you something.:bolian:

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

You forgot Zhaan. She was awesome too. In fact, she was my favourite.

20. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Frell! How could I forget her? I must be fahrbot. Yeah, Zhaan was awesome. Soft, yes. Weak, no.