Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, both of those episodes were awesome, with some pretty major developments in the shows current arcs. I had no idea the death in GL was coming. Do we know if it's permanent?
    I liked getting an episode of YJ that focused so much on Artemis. I really liked her in season 1 and have been disappointed that she had played such a small role in Invasion so far.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

These last three episodes of Young Justice have all been excellent. The Reach really are playing this whole thing perfectly, aren't they? Arsenal's a damned fool, and if Godfrey wants to he oculd easily use that footage to totally discredit the Team (and by extension the League).

I'm not sure about this Green Beetle still - considering Miss M's reticence to probe his mind, is it possible he's hiding something? And I can't help feeling like Jaime's Scarab being quieted is going to have some serious repercussions.

It was nice to see Zatanna and the Captains get some screentime back in "Cornered," and Mal's feeling useless getting a little bit of payoff. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay as Guardian, but we'll see where that goes.

I've come to feel like that, while I like Impulse well enough, I'd rather see some of the others get a little more focus - Cassie, Babs, Tim, for example. Rocket too for that matter, and Wally. But I guess that's the downside with such a large cast of interesting characters.

Hopefully Miss M can finish fixing Kaldur before Psimon wakes up and reveals to Manta that Tigress is actually Artemis. I was afraid for a bit that Psimon would be "fixing" and rewriting Kaldur to make him actually a villain and Artemis would have to make a quick escape somehow, leading to even more serious consequences for M'Gann's lashing out. I guess this show won't go there though. ;)

I kind of wonder what will happen when the 6 Leaguers return - are they gonna serve as the cavalry, or more like the Rohirrim in ROTK, making a huge impact but needing their own cavalry moment from the Team?

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I do not trust the Green Beetle. No reason he couldnt have been programmed to act the way he does by the Reach, even to the point of believing what he is saying. In this way he could fool Miss Martan. I also found it odd that a green martian didnt react a bit more to the white martian reveal since they are supposed to truely distrust one another. I believe his reprogramming of the scarab is going to have it revert to its original programming at the crucial moment of the reach invasion.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like YJ is cancelled.

Weisman curse strikes again.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this on a couple of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy sites I frequent. Damn.

6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any news of a replacement, then? These animated shows seem to be hitting their point of limited returns earlier and earlier these days. However, there's always something new from WB/Marvel/Lucas/Hasbro to replace a canceled show!

Mark

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Teen Titans Go and Beware the Batman

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know why Lucas is in there Clone Wars is going to season 6, it's just changing networks.

9. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both of these shows just don't seem like they're made to fill the storytelling hole that cancelling Young Justice & Green Lantern is going to create.

Based upon description, they're taking all the good elements from Teen Titans and removing them to focus on just the "down-time" angle while for Batman, making it more "cartoon-y" as well.

I'm getting to a point where I just can't be bothered to care about some of the stuff that's supposed to be aimed at fans of genre in the first place...

Weisman is S.O.L. when it comes to his vision getting a chance to thrive.

Best news I could hear now would be a revival of Gargoyles via Marvel/Disney to directly compete with this DC Nation replacement tripe.

*Bitter*

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What's your basis for that? I mean, one can't get any more "cartoony" than Batman: The Brave and the Bold already was. Beware the Batman definitely seems to be going in a darker, more serious direction.

I'm wondering how long DC will continue to publish the Young Justice tie-in comic which is canonical in the show's universe. If the comic goes on for a while, it might let Weisman wrap up the storylines he wanted to tell, as he briefly got to do in the Gargoyles comics.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They already announced the cancellation of the comic awhile ago.

12. Christopher

^Regrettable, but unsurprising.

13. Mr. Adventure

Damn Razer, you callous bastard.

14. Christopher

I'd say just the opposite -- he's trying to convince himself he doesn't love her because he's too afraid of being hurt by losing the one he loves a second time.

It's an interesting twist, wiping out the Anti-Monitor so soon and having Aya become the big bad. I wonder how long this status quo will last.

Over on YJ, they certainly found an interesting way of reinterpreting the lame Apache Chief character from Superfriends. It works a lot better this way. Apparently all of the "runaways" other than Static were based on the "ethnic hero" characters created for Superfriends. Eduardo (the kid whose voice sounded almost exactly like Jaime's, although the credits say it's a different actor) was based on El Dorado, who had superstrength and magical/psi powers including teleportation, and Asami was based on Samurai, who had wind powers (and was male).

Which isn't the first time a DC show has done pastiches of lame Superfriends characters. Justice League Unlimited had the Ultimen, who were based on Samurai, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, and the Wonder Twins. And of course we've already met YJ versions of Marvin and Wendy. (And the same actor, Gregg Rainwater, has played both the Ultiman and YJ pastiches of Apache Chief, who were named Long Shadow and Tye Longshadow, respectively.)

Oh, and for the record, "Sumimasen" is basically a polite request for attention, like "Excuse me" or "Pardon me," though it can also mean "I'm sorry" or "Thank you." (And I can't believe I didn't recognize that Asami was played by Janice Kawaye, who was Jenny on My Life as a Teenage Robot.)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really wish the description for GL on TV hadn't been a masive spoiler for the ending:
    It was still a pretty shocking turn of events though. As for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it.
    YJ also had a pretty surprising twist at the end. I really enjoyed getting to see more of the new heroes created by the Reach, and I really hope this isn't the last we see of them. I wonder if they would have been the next "freshman" (in a recent interview Weisman referred to the different groups on the team as "seniors", "juniors" and "freshman") team members in season 3.

16. Mr. Adventure

I guess I thought he could've chosen a better way to communicate his feelings to Aya. "I never loved you, I see now you're nothing but a machine."

I agree with you there and I can't believe it didn't hit me the connection to Samurai.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The whole universe is in danger now because Razer didn't know how to talk to a girl.

18. Christopher

Well, in his defense, the universe wasn't really any less in danger before. We've just swapped out one relentless, emotionless AI villain for another. The difference being, of course, that Our Heroes will eventually be able to get through to Aya and reawaken her good side, which wouldn't have been possible with the Anti-Monitor.

(My problem with this version of the universe is that there's an Anti-Monitor but no Monitor, which seems imbalanced. I guess they're justifying the name through the connection to antimatter, though.)

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm with you. In my head I just went: well, there's a Monitor. We just haven't seen him/her/it.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's with the rest of the Monitor off-screen endlessly debating over whether to do something or not :)