Superman Lives Test Footage

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that wasn't actually Cage but a mock up of him so they could see what the suit would look like. I guess he wasn't available that day for costume tests. This movie would have just made "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" look like Oscar contenders in comparison. People shouldn't complain about "Superman Returns" after watching that footage. At least Singer understood a little bit better than Burton did who and what Superman was. This movie would have been a travesty.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Hey, thanks for the backseat mod job. Except not. Okay? Okay.

Also, holy shit, this is ridiculous. Thank God this movie was never made.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy shit! What the fuck was that?!? We dodged a major major trainwreck here!

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that the other thing to remember is that this movie was still in early stages. What we are seeing is far from a finished project. I still think that this movie had a lot of potential from what I've seen of the script. Some of the basic concept drawings of Brainiac were a little strange, but once again, they were in DEVELOPMENT.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

yeah

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yes. My biggest problem with Burton's intended film is not with costume designs and set pieces it is with the fact that Nicholas Cage was 100% wrong for the part. I just could never see him as Superman.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Now, this I agree with. I remember thinking WTF when he was announced as the new Superman. Not that he was closer to being Johnny Blaze but the Ghost Rider at least is a lesser known character.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think he was fine as Johnny Cage. I'm not familiar with the comic take on the character, so I can't say if he was faithful to it. But GR is kinduva silly concept, IMHO, and a quirky, charismatic actor like Cage was required to pull a movie take on it off.

But as Superman? The Man of Steel should be square-jawed, clean-cut, chiselled and straight down the line. Cage, with his long nose, receding hairline (apparently he and Burton fell out because the latter wanted Nic to wear a rug, Cage refused), distinctive voice, puppy eyes and hangdog face. I mean, how could anyone not tell him and Clark apart, for one thing?

Burton (just) got away with the offbeat casting of Michael Keaton as Batman because the suit and mask helped make him convincing (to be fair, Keaton gave a strong performance despite being totally miscast). But Superman has no mask, can't get away with the raspy voice Keaton gave Batman and has to absolutely look like Superman. Which is not like Nicholas Cage.

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Holy shit how did they even fit that into a Family Guy?
    I really don't like that show as it is...and that clip again reinforces my apparent lack of humor..at least in American eyes.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was freakin' hilarious... and spot on. :lol: