Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Most of the recent Marvel movies have drawn elements from the Ultimate universe, or done similar things -- Galactus as a cosmic swarm, the Hulk's origin being linked to supersoldier serum, Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson, etc. Which makes sense, since both the Ultimate Universe and the movies are attempts to reinvent the Marvel universe with more modern sensibilities, to filter out some of the sillier, more dated, or more problematical aspects of the original works.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes. I'm aware of that. I meant though with their ages this time. As I mentioned above they're much younger characters in the Ultimate Universe.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If they'd made it a couple of years ago, they could've tied it to the X-Men First Class era. But with DOFP jumping forwards to the 1970s, I suppose that window has closed.

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

His implied age goes up and down a bit, I think. A comic book cover from 2011 puts his date of birth as 1961, but a one-off special from 1998 or so has Ben Grimm remarking that not one of the four had been born yet in 1961. Personally, I take his and Grimm's ages as having been about the same as Stan Lee's in 1961 and so probably fiftyish now. Maybe they should have marked the FF's fiftieth anniversary by making it Reed or Ben's fiftieth birthday. (I think it was X-Men #24 in 1993 that had the Beast musing about his own impending thirtieth. Thought it was a nice touch.)

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, yes. Jonah Hill should leave this planet as soon as possible. If there's a mission to Mars, he should be the first choice.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not a fan, I take it?

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Ultimate Universe was also designed to be a cinematic universe with most of the original story arcs being set up like motion pictures. Fury was designed based on Jackson, the X-Men wore uniforms similar to the movie uniforms.

A lot of the movie costume designs are very similar to the Ultimate Universe as well with the exception being Iron Man.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I always took it that in the 60s, Reed, Ben, and Nick Fury were supposed to have been about the same age as Stan and Jack, having also served in the war as young men. FWIW, in addition to only aging in comic book time, there was at least one minor de-aging in-continuity. A 1979-ish story had Reed, Ben, and Sue subjected to a Skrull aging ray as a slow means of execution. When Johnny finally cured them, he used too large a dose in desperation, and they were said to have come out a few years younger than they had been.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And now it's dinner.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

According to this site, Michael B. Jordan has signed to play the Human Torch. I don't know how reliable the site is though.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does the mean that 5 years down the line, he'll be cast as Captain America too when they reboot that franchise?

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never even heard of that site before. The last report they were overhauling the script so it seems to me that casting would still be awhile until they lock in the story Trank and Fox are happy with. Plus I've not seen that pop up on any of the regular reputable sites like Cinemablend or Comingsoon.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I won't put even a little trust in the story until it appears on a site I've actually heard of.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad to see others going "what site?", I thought the same thing.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, man, they're still making this? I was hoping it would be abandoned and revert back to Marvel.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ hear hear. It's very true to the comics. And the Thing costume is surprisingly good, considering the budget involved.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. It's much more faithful than the more recent ones, and pretty entertaining.

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am a fan of that movie too. If a official release ever happens I would buy it right away. I liked the cast much better than the recent one.