Green Lantern Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cbspock, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching it again, and before I was confused by the aliens atypical colouring.

Yes, totally bathing suits.

But it's a planet of heterosexual women.

Surely the same rules as a changing shed at a swimming pool apply?

They don't have to wear anything.

It's possibly a tropical/unnaturally warm planet?

Even though their rings will keep them regular and temperate.

But the designs seem quite loyal to the older comics which have changed many times over the years.

Although.

Unless the ring did it for her, Carol is damn lucky that she had recently expilated her bikini line.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad that we now know the connection between Razer and Aya. And did anyone notice that Aya showed the tiniest hint of the emotion of jealousy there?

I believe the shippers will be pleased. Very pleased indeed.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

That's a good question, and I don't know the best answer other than what you suggested before - the majority of Star Sapphires we see are women because beauty/and or sex appeal is a major seller. ;) There have been a few times in the more recent GL comics where we've seen a male Sapphire wearing a sort of armor, based on a costume Carol wore when she was altered by the Predator.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

It's not a requirement. It's a frill. It's a frill that exists because comics and television are visual media that were born mainly to give their audiences something attractive to look at. Women in bathing suits are more attractive than skinny, whiny, metrosexual men who understand love too. No, it's not ideal. It just is.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I swear I saw an image of a male Star Sapphire in a little purple speedo type thing somewhere, but I can't remember now if it was actually from the comics or if was a joke.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

7. Guy Gardener

Far back as I recall, they were a species of immortal aliens that scanned the known universe looking for a doppleganger of their dead queen. Carol was not the first or the last lookalike they found and brainwashed into acting like the long dead original Star Sapphire, who was a right asshole.

You ever been dumped by someone you can't stop loving?

That's how these 5 billion year old women of Oa feel about their 5 billion year old boy friends who ran out on them after 4 billion years when they stripped themselves of emotion.

Besides.

Broads that old are always inescapably mutton dressed like lamb.

Fleeting youth must be a bitch to an immortal.

You keep feeling older and older and older but your body stays plum.

These days that stasis thingy we saw in the toon is what Johns is all about, a Green Lanterns true love is found, tapped as a Star Sapphire, and if the Green Lantern gives into a bit of slap and tickle with her in that state, their "love" expands geometrically into a magenta crystalline stasis formation that cements whatsoever planet they're standing on fixed in time "perfect" forever.

A Green Lanterns true love is not always going to be a "girl".

What about the Asexual Green Lanterns?

Are they double tapped as Lanterns and Sapphires simultaneously and everything then goes static if they t,t,t,t,touch themselves?

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Geoff Johns took over he turned Parallax into a space bug, instead of just a name Hal chose when he went crazy.

In Sinestro Corps War, he introduced the idea that Ion, which was previously the name Kyle took when he had Guardian level power, was the Willpower equivalent of Parallax. Thus was born the idea of the Emotional Spectrum Entities.

The entity for the Sapphires was identified as the Predator, which originally was the male half of Star Sapphire. Given that their entity is called "The Predator," you can guess that the Sapphires' view of love is a bit...skewed, at least in the comics, which is where the show draws inspiration from.

If you want a rational explanation as to why they wear those outfits, I guess we're supposed to assume that across the universe, males are attracted to females in skimpy clothing. The skimpy clothing aids in the attraction, which the Sapphires use to get the subject to fall in love with them, and then they encase them in a sapphire to preserve them. Females, at least in the comics, who are not attuned to their view of love get the sapphire treatment, but only as a means of putting them in stasis while they work on brainwashing them (they view it differently, but I'm being blunt here). Like I implied, it's the closest to a rational explanation of their outfits as the comics allow.

As for the men, Geoff Johns had this to say: And they wonder why more women aren't into superhero comics...

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the whole "emotional spectrum" idea is pretty silly. I mean, willpower isn't even an emotion!

10. Guy Gardener

All the rings are driven by will power.

Their wills push their emotional flavour to their power.

I think it's two possibilities what's really going on.

1. The Guardians are embarrassed to admit the emotion that actually powers their rings because they claim to be emotionless.

2. Willpower dives a complete absence and void of emotion which by any other description is the absolute definition of apathy.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Then what's the emotion of the Green Lanterns?

I also agree, the emotional spectrum thing is a little silly. But, meh, whatever.

12. Guy Gardener

that's what I was trying to work out "logically".

They only ever say "Will Power" this and "will power" that, and have done since the 70s when I started reading.

Classically there's three abiding requirements to become a Green Lantern, Honesty, fearlessness and strength.

it couldn't be that simple?

"Bravery"?

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the Green Lanterns were constructed to be a law enforcement agency; and I would believe that it is the power which shaped their function and not the Guardians. The green power could be a sense of justice; a balancing force; one might call it virtue? That would make more sense to me.

14. Guy Gardener

Virtue is a quality they might look for, but it is neither an emotion or anything quantifiable in any other way either.....

the chart below has nothing to do with green lantern comics, but it does look as if it should...

[​IMG]

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emotions

There's also a list of emotions on that page comprised by Aristotle.

I love that guy!

but looking though all those emotions...

What about "Pride"?

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Agree totally. I can't stand all this mood ring lantern crap. It's put me off of what was my favorite DC hero.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The spectrum doesn't really bother me, per se, it does explain the yellow impurity, something which always seemed to be put in and not make much sense. Like everything else, it'll only last for a while, I suppose, until someone retcons it away.

I do hope we see an end to the constant use of the other Corps, though. I want to see GL go up against more of his old foes again. Evil Star, Sonar, Dr. Polaris, Goldface, etc.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just wanna see Sinestro. Is he going to go to the planet of the big-boned tusk women and steal their yellow mood crystals? Time will tell.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of them were generic comic book villains that not even Ron Marz bothered with.

Good luck with that.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or he could get it from the Spider guild prison.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I think there's a lot of potential in a guy armed with... A TUNING FORK GUN!!!!!! :evil: