X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Granted, that's a worst case scenario. The destruction might be very localized; limited to merely our own galaxy. Or to a galaxy far far away.;)

I'm hoping that Singer taking over as director definately means that we'll be getting some of the actors from the 2000-2006 movies reprising their roles in some future capacity.

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?"

Agreed! (Except I don't mind that Singer ignored the super-shitty post-Donner Supes movies.)

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do people not know how involved he was with the previous movie, or do they just like to pretend he wasn't there?

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention:
    "Hey! It's me."
    "Prove it."
    "You're a dick."
    "Okay."

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"First Class" as we got it would not have happened without Bryan Singer's treatment being green lit. Untill that point it was still based on Jeff Parker's "X-Men: First Class" comic. He and Vaughn worked very closely together. They were pretty much in-synch with each other for the entire production of the film. Singer also helped cast the movie IIRC. Vaughn directed the film and put his own stamp on it, but the film was as much Singer's as it was Vaughns. As I've said before, it seems like some fans have forgotten just how much involvement and how important Bryan Singer was to "X-Men: First Class".

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Wolverine- I'm bringing the party to you

*Sentinel chases Wolverine*

Kitty Pride- I..I..I don't see how that's a party.

7. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

If he was involved, at least his influence was kept at bay, because we got an X-men film that was true to the concept AND a good superhero movie at the same time, as opposed to 1, 2, and much of 3 where it was all about Singer's stupid "mutant=gays" moralizing.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no "mutants=gays" moralizing in FC to speak of...

...what?

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

"Woe is us, for we are so persecuted" has always been what X-Men is about. That'd be like having Spider-Man without any hint of "with great power, etc..."

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I guess the "You didn't ask, so I didn't tell" gag flew right over some people's heads.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Don't be ashamed of your true self"

"Mutant and Proud"

I guess that flew over some people's heads

12. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do realize that many writers of the X-Men have actually stated that the way Mutants must hide who and what they are can be modern parallels to gays. Including the writer who wrote more episodes of the X-Men then any other. Now that isn't to say that it can't be used for other parallels (they used other parallels in the mid sixties), but again many a writer has out and out stated that it is used as a parallel to any culture or group that has to hide from the public and behave in a way that is counter to their nature. And that absolutely includes gays and lesbians.

And I think Claremont might, just have a little better understanding on that then the public.

So exactly what concept was wrong?

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The X-Men have always been an allegory for persecuted groups. It started with the Civil Rights movement, but it quickly identified itself with gay rights (which makes sense since most mutants are also part of a group that is not visually identifiable). I thought X-Men First Class was the most effective at emphasizing the themes. Considering the plot of this movie, I see no reason to expect differently here.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, this is just like reading the Discussion thread for First Class all over again.

"Thank God he wasn't involved in this movie"

"But, he was involved in the movie, from the get-go, barely anything was changed"

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

There is a difference between a concept being an allegory, and the execution of the concept being all about the allegory. Singer in 1, 2 and most of 3 spent far too much time on the philosophising, and nowhere near enough time on the "POW! BAM! ZAP!"

The X-Men and Magneto in the first two and a half films are pathetically weak, and have few chances on screen to demonstrate their true power. The only time Magneto in particular was written properly powers wise was the lifting of the Golden Gate Bridge. He NEVER got Jean/Phoenix right except the little "teaser" bit at the end of 2.

In short, however good some things might have been about the first 3 films, they failed to "embrace the spandex" and thus fail as superhero movies, which makes the approach in FC the far superior version, and Singer had the least to do with that film.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, yes, this old plaint again, which completely ignores the budget and special effects realities behind X1, the fact that the very much "spandex-embracing" Batman and Robin was still a fresh memory in people minds, and the fact that the most "out-there" X-movies, X3 and Origins, are also by far the worst.

No, no, do go on, good sir! These complaints are in no way tired, worn, and not terribly applicable to DOFP, considering X1 was first developed over thirteen years ago! :rolleyes:

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Fair point, but he didn't have to continue the trend in 2 and most of 3.

Apples and oranges. "Ebrace the spandex" does not mean camp and stupid. Schumacher set out to make a Dark Knight/Adam West hybrid movie and it (predictably) blew up on him.

The most "out there" movie is FC, and it's by far the BEST X-film. It's also the one Singer had the least to do with.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I'm not sure how you make that out, given that he had a 'story by' and producer credit on FC whereas he had no credit on either TLS or Wolverine.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There are already rumors that Vaughn dropped this movie in order to be the director for Star Wars Episode VII.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, nothing Singer's done since co-writing Apocalypse Now has really made good on his early promise...