Nintendo NX and Mobile Developments

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Wasn't following things too closely :)

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

A studio owned and controlled by Nintendo, though. ;)

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. The studio, Game Freak, is completely independent. In fact they just announced a new game that's only coming out on the PC, Xbox One, and PS4. No Nintendo systems.

Yeah, it's weird. You'd think Nintendo would buy them outright, but they haven't yet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Ah, I was thinking of the Pokemon Company. Yeah, Nintendo's recent forays into outsourcing have been weird.

5. Owain Taggart

That'd make quite a difference. If Nintendo had access to the property as an exclusive from the very beginning, I'm sure they've had heavy input into how it was being developed and would likely be upset if somehow the franchise took a very different turn that doesn't meet their approval.

With Philips, they said, "Ok, we'll let you use our characters.", not realizing the extent of what they had signed off on, which is a different situation. And I think it made Nintendo very reluctant to let any 3rd party use their characters (without having any control) in a good long while

We got brilliance such as this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfnQE6YXhDM[/yt]

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Here's a crazy idea.

Just. Don't. Fucking. Buy. Them.

7. Taelon

Taelon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haven't they only just released a new version of the 3DS?

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

They have, but it's basically just a hardware revision with relatively minor iterations. A very good one, mind you, but not a new platform.

9. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

It's like me buying that last extra move on Candy Crush to finally beat that last damn level. F2P my ass. :p
    But it's my choice to do it. I spend the money because I enjoy the game.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still don't understand why they can't get a new Mario Galaxy together. Millions and millions of copies sold and the two best reviewed Wii games of all time.

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Exactly. You're a bad person of course, but a sensible consumer ;)

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I still own my CD-I, i can even remember the price for the unit alone, £399, and that was without the movie cartridge, which was another £150 on top, i wont ever forget that price seeing as it was one of the biggest elephants i have ever bought, that and the £299 i spent on the Amiga A570 CD-rom add-on, at one bought i had so many elephants in the one room i could have opened a petting zoo. lol

13. Owain Taggart

:eek: I feel for you. Ouch. Given how little it seemed to do, that seems a little high even now. With inflation, it's probably closer to 500.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To absolutely no one's surprise, The Legend of Zelda U has been delayed until 2016.

So are we all thinking the same thing? This big budget Zelda game, instead of being sent to die on the Wii U, has been retooled into a launch title for the Nintendo NX in 2016?

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Nintendo announced on Twitter that they aren't showing it at E3, so that probably isn't an off-base assumption.

16. Haggis and tatties

Yeap, no doubt this will be a NX launch title, and i suspect at some point Starfox U will also follow suit, Ninty might be cutting their loses on the Wii-u at this stage, the next 12 month will be telling.

17. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope not.

But if it's the case, I hope they release it as a Wii U game and a NX one. So people who don't want to invest in another system/platform won't have to if they don't want to.

18. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Could be.

Although I'd like to point out that they didn't actually say that it has been delayed to 2016, only that they are "no longer making a 2015 release a priority".

Semantics, I know. :p

(But yeah, 2016 is when it will be. :()

Oh well, I still got a large backlog of games, and Xenoblade Chronicles X is probably going to make it this year. And that's good for 100 hours (or 200 or...) going by how long it took me to finish Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Most likely* scenario at this point, although a (near-)simultaneous release of the (vastly inferior) Wii U downport is also a possibility.

*(assuming a lot of things: 2016-ish release of NX, NX actually being a traditional console or at least mobile/big screen hybrid, etc.)

20. Haggis and tatties

Well i hope that is true, but i really think Ninty has, behind the scenes, just dropped the Wii-U, because this is about the right time that games for the new system from in house, and third party, will be on the drawing board, but we have 12 months to see what happens at E3 2016, that will i think be the time when we know just what Ninty will be doing with the Wii-U, or not. :(