Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Chilli

Chilli Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having caught the Canadian broadcast of today's ep (in the US) last night ...

Could someone tell me why it was of vital importance to fake Lanie's tattoo, if the aim of the whole thing was to temporarily steal her identity to access some files? A tattoo nobody but her and Espo knew about! That whole thing made no sense whatsoever.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I know it says spoilers in the thread title but this one is best if you don't know anything about it so here goes:

To freak her and everybody else out and once they are on to him to put fear into them.

Jesus Christ.. that was some hell of an episode, the best of the season so far. I had an inkling as to the reveal about halfway through the episode and a few minutes later they got it too.

3XK episodes turned out be amongst the best of the show and this one may have been the best yet introducing an equally creepy accomplice without ever actually showing him.

I loved all the reactions from the crew.. Lanie's mortal fear, Espo's rage and the absolute shock (or even fear) in Beckett's eyes when they heard the song at the end of the episode. I don't know if i ever saw her like this in Castle and it was chilling to see

Damn.. even thinking about it gives me the shivers :techman:

Yes, definitely the best episode this season so far and very highly ranked in the overall show, at least on my meter.

3. Chilli

I actually figured out 3XK would be involved at the very beginning - or rather, figured he would be, then dropped the theory again, and then picked it up again before the reveal. Didn't figure it out because of my supreme intellect, but rather due to the musical themes they chose: they sounded exactly like those they used in previous 3XK eps. Which made me go all "Hey, it's the 3KX theme!" - pity.

One thing I got completely wrong: I felt sure William Mapother was being set up as a Castle clone. He and Nathan Fillion were separated at birth.

4. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Question
    I'm a casual watcher of this show, Watched some episodes, but haven't seen everything. What was the significance of that song on the USB? The look of Becketts face! Is it somehow connected to her dead mom?

5. Chilli

No, I don't think there was any personal significance of the song - I think he was just his way of saying "nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh". Beckett knows there's a psychopathic killer on the loose, knows that he will kill again, and feels that she should have stopped him. Thus the blue screen of death.

6. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oki, thanks :)

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing last week's episode I went "It's 3XK".

Nice to see Castle predictability is still around. :lol:

Great episode, loved the song at the end "We will meet again". All that means is that he is not dead.

And I'd like to thank all the Canadians that used spoilers for the day!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

How about the idea of serial killers working together... That's creepy. Perhaps there is a serial killer network, and they just pulled all the police files and evidence that the NYPD had on them. Who knows how many times they could have done this technique and where before, or again.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good episode, and thanks bigdaddy for mentioning 3XK. For the life of me, I can NEVER get that name right; I always want to go with 3BK or 3XL. What does 3XK stand for again? Next week's episode looks lame...

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't either. I typed that right after Castle said it in the episode. I call him "Guy Castle shot off bridge". :lol:

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think the "X" is meant as a multiplication symbol — he kills in groups of three, and is also referred to as the "Triple Killer". I can't remember if they called him that in last night's episode, but certainly in previous seasons they used both nicknames.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I figured out early on that it was 3XK, and I felt the cops were a bit slow to catch on that the whole thing was orchestrated to lead them along a path and that any given clue they were handed should be mistrusted. I mean, the recovered photo from the first victim led them right to the second victim, the connection they found led them to the plastic surgeon, her testimony about when Santos left her office led to the traffic photo that connected to William Mapother's character, etc.

And that was the reason for the tattoo. It was part of the manipulation. No, it wasn't needed for the imposture and the theft, but that's exactly why it was done: to divert them from thinking that there was a practical reason for the impostures and rattle them into thinking it was something more personal and creepy, something directly targeted at them. Classic misdirection. That's probably also why the killer chose Lainie and Esposito as the targets -- because that seeded the false trail that it had something to do with their relationship. (Although I guess it could've been just that they were the only ones the killer was able to find doubles for. I was starting to think, "How many of these guys have doppelgangers working in the sex industry?")

What's interesting about the ending is that it's ambiguous whether Tyson is actually alive or if the plastic surgeon is merely taking over the 3XK mantle now that he's gone. Taking his police records could itself be misdirection to make them think he's still alive.

13. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First minute in I say to my wife YOU DON'T HIRE WILLIAM MAPOTHER TO JUST HAVE TWO LINES IN THE TEASER.

14. Christopher

Yeah, but in this case I think they were counting on that reaction, since he was the red herring. Yes, he did the murders, but on instructions from the plastic surgeon, who may or may not have been working with 3XK.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

He killed 3 women in a week then moved on to a new city and killed another 3 in a week. I guess 3XK is short for 3 kills per week.

16. Christopher

^Yup -- as stated above, "3X" as in "three times," aka "triple," so 3XK is shorthand for "Triple Killer."

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It's great that they have that kind of continuity, but I really can't remember the 3XK stuff from past episodes. Bones did the same thing with their serial killer nemesis, and by the time he pops up again, I've forgotten who the hell he was. Ah, age, you're such a drag. :lol:

18. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Same here.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Too bad that in CastleLand, photocopies and computer backups don't exist, and everything is stored in one place. Left them really open to this heist!

Come on, that plot point is retarded. They have have some of the original stuff, but no way it's not backed up, and if it wasn't active, would it even be local to that precinct? Why wouldn't FBI have either the original or backups, he IS a serial killer, and worked in places other than NYC. Kate doesn't have dibs...

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

They mentioned the electronic files were wiped too, but you're probably right about backups. Then again, he IS the Ultimate Clever Nemesis.