Trek and Evolution

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MetalPants, Feb 12, 2011.

1. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the sake of this thread, ignore religious beliefs and accept the theory of evolution.

So what would the major Trek races be evolved from? Is there enough info in Trek lore to even answer, or would it all be speculation?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Preservers.

Also, this very question was answered TNG's The Chase.

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

It would all be speculation. It would be species native to their homeworlds that we the audience haven't seen and for which there's no terrestrial analogue.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Somewhere on Vulcan, there are apes with pointed ears and can do the nerve pinch thing.

On the Klingon homeworld, there are ridged-forehead gorilla like creatures that act more like rabid chimps.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

didnt barclay evolve from a spider or something? twisted space pokemon.

6. Finn

^No, he had the spider DNA in him from when Miles' spider bit him. Yes, it's canon!

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^:x

Trek gets evolutionary history less right than it does particle physics.

Anyway, of course pretty much everybody in the Trek universe is going to come from recent ancestors that are more or less physically analogous to primates, because--well, look at them, they're physically analogous to primates.

What would be interesting and fun is to construct a plausible evolutionary path and functioning biosphere for beings like the Horta.

8. Finn

^Nematode-like creatures that switched from wood-boring life to stone-boring life....

9. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you go by TOS, each planet evolved separately and, because of Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development, ended up looking very human, and with surroundings that mimicked almost exactly the Desilu backlot.

If you go by TNG, it's the Preservers.

10. Finn

^um... the Preservers is a TOS species. The Preservers were never mentioned on TNG. The aliens responsible for the whole thing in The Chase was never named.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't really know what the conditions on the surface were like.

The Horta might have begun there, but there were bigger and badder things about and the Horta started digging burrows and tunnels ... things progressed from there.

:)

12. The Wormhole

The Preservers were established as the universal evolutionary origin in TOS The Paradise Syndrome.

Wasn't there an early draft of the script that did establish that humanoid was a Preserver? I know, it never made into the show and therefore is not canon.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Andorians could have evolved from Smurfs.

14. The Wormhole

^^I don't remember Smurfs having ice powers. Or did those develop later on in the evolutionary process?

15. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I can get behind that. :bolian:

16. Finn

No. I'd say snorks since they already have cranial appendages....

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, whatever the various Trek species evolved from they all seem to have had philtrums.

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about Horta is the existence (or not) of an actual food supply. Just because they're silicon-based doesn't mean they can eat sand any more than it means because I'm carbon-based it means I can eat diamonds. Whence the energy?

I like to think they get by predation on primary producers that run their metabolisms on uranium. I would say they just run on uranium they find in the rock, but that doesn't provide much selective pressure for intelligence.