Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I meant no disrespect and I have nothing personal against you. Obviously it's good to be passionate about things. I'd say that being passionate about the things you do and the people you love is usually more rewarding than being passionate about Hollywood franchises, but to each their own. It's just that, I don't know how old you are, but after a while you learn to get some perspective and stop focusing too much on the negative.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Uhm, Pirates of the Caribbean? :confused:

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who thinks the prequels ran Star Wars into the ground is really an idiot, because they clearly didn't. You might not like them because they were tailored to a younger generation, but they were extremely successful. The next trilogy is not going to be a reboot because the franchise is dead, it's going to be a sequel because the franchise is hot.

Also: nepotism. A guy who knew his father gives him a job. And Uwhora sleeps her way up the career ladder. And eventually, Spock almost makes out with his older self after his older self probably pulled some strings to get Kirk into the Captain's chair.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just to chime in.

Genius choice on the part of Disney.. Abrams is one of the few A list producers who get the material and can run with it. I love the new Star Trek movie (apart from a few logic holes and a few artistic choices) so i'm very confident that the new Star Wars can rival Empire Strikes back in quality and drama.

Abrams has a far better feel for drama.. just watch the opening of the new ST movie. The birth of Kirk in the midst of a battle where his Dad dies to save hundreds of people.

I had goosebumps during that and my chest tightened a bit and looking back i wonder how the new Lucas SW movies would have been if made by someone who can write real drama and can direct the actors to portray that.

All considered it is an excellent time to be a nerd right now.. Whedon rocks the house in Superhero movies, Abrams takes over the two biggest SF franchises.

The only thing i'd wish for is for Disney to have the balls and release stand alone movies by directors and leave them free hands.. imagine a del Toro, Tarantino or Burton Star Wars movie!

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lens flare have always been in movie in some for or the other, Trek XI is just infamous for having a dozen lens flare go off every 15 seconds, even in the dark, strnagely enough. The reason for the lens flares Abrams himself has given is because he likes lens flares. Since he clearly likes them so much, I'm certain Star Wars Episode 07 will have as many if not more.

And since it's now confirmed, we have to start calling this Episode 07. Abrams style numbering demands leading zeroes.

6. The Mirrorball Man

Just a thought: can we have Faran Tahir in a larger role?

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I seriously hope Orci and Kurtzman don't get involved in this at some point.

8. The Wormhole

I'm easily picturing him as a badass Jedi master. Perhaps Luke's second. That could be awesome.

So do I, but I fear Abrams may have them make revisions to Michael Arndt's script. You know, to make sure all the necessary fart jokes, immature humour, sexual innuendos and racially offensive sterotypes are present.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Said pretty much the same thing. As a non-Trek XI fan I'm lazily labelled an 'Abrams Hater' when in fact the opposite is true; I've liked (and in some cases loved) most things he's done.

Oric & Kurtzman are far more hit and miss though, with most instances being a miss.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just find the idea of the same person being behind Trek and Wars to be so boring it's almost sinister. These franchises should be competitive. It makes people up their game and try harder.

Imagine if Star Trek Into Darkness is awesome (Unlikely, but possible!). Then the director making Star Wars Episode VII will REALLY feel like he has to up his game and push his art further. Then Abrams will have to push Trek even harder to compete and make his third film even better than Star Wars VII.

We won't get this if the same guy is doing both. Competition is necessary and I say that as an obsessive of both franchises.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Still no reason they shouldn't be.

After all, it's Abrams - "I was never a Star Trek fan" VS Abrams - "I've always been a huge Star Wars fan". :)

12. The Mirrorball Man

I agree with the sentiment but when has that ever happened? Star Wars has always been a series of extremely successful and highly popular movies, while until Star Trek, the movie Trek franchise hasn't really played in the same league. I'd say this is the first time they've ever been on equal footing and trying to reach for the same kind of success.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If there HAD been competition in the past, IF, it was only among the fans. Because in reality, where it matters, Star Wars CRUSHED the Star Trek movies in the 80s.

And by matters, I mean $$$$.

So, this whole competitive thing would be new.

And who is to say Abrams won't be worried about topping himself?

When I'm working on something creative I try to do better than I did last time, I'm in competition with myself.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think he's that depressed.

15. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Star Trek movies have always been compared to and competing with the Star Wars movies. I think having a different creative time for each franchise at the first time in history that Trek is a comparable rival in terms of box office buzz would have been very exciting for fans of both.

For what it's worth, I think that Abrams is a very good pick for a Star Wars director. A job he's infinitely more suited to than as director of Trek. I just hate the fact he's doing both.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Hate to brake it to you, but at a global scale, Star Trek is still a David to Star Wars' Goliath.

17. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

It's after the fact, it's bitching, it's the American way; But why the hell didn't Joe Johnston get it?

He did the Rocketeer, a Jurassic Park movie and Captain America for freak sake. He's stated an interest in doing a Boba Fett movie and may even know a thing or two about Star Wars.

J.J. likes Galaxy Quest.

Unless there's some dynamic between Lucas and Johnston that I'm unaware of, perhaps Kathleen Kennedy is the one to blame for picking Spielberg's little buddy.

18. The Mirrorball Man

Only in the same way that a rat dog can be competing with a tiger.

19. The Wormhole

There's never been any official competition between Star Trek and Star Wars. In fact, George Lucas pitched a Trek movie in the 70s.

It's only the fandoms that are rivals, and even then just a small percentage of each fandom. Most are content to enjoy both franchises.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I see what you did there. ;)

Galaxy Quest is a great movie.

If I had to suspect why Johnson didn't get it, I would say a couple of reasons, but in the end, it comes down to track record. Abrams has a higher box office record... he's made a lot more money for people through film and TV than Johnson has. He has been able to lead large franchises to success.

Sure, the reality is, they could hire another Marquand and Episode 7 will still be a huge success. But, Jedi was the blandest of the three. Why not hire someone that is 1. Successful 2. Young. and 3. has his own visual style?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.