Fringe Series Finale (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Grade 'Liberty/An Enemy of Fate'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its very best

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Very Good

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Good

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Bad

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible beyond words - encase this ep in amber!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but I liked how it wrapped up a lot of storylines and gave Peter & Olivia the happy ending they deserved.

2. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disappointing ending I thought the first 30 minutes where to slow making the last 10 way too rushed and a predictable reset

3. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Looks like the Science channel is moving the Fringe reruns to Friday nights. So on this coming Friday at 8pm EST they are showing the season 2 enders Over There Part 1 & 2, and the season 3 opener Olivia. They rerun all three at 11pm EST.

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

So all stayed the same to the point of the invasion by the Observers--but without the Observers being there to help Walter. Somehow Walter gets and saves Peter without Peter drowning, all on his own. And with this change, Olivia, Peter, and Etta are safe--but it looks like Peter remembers everything.

And, in the new timeline, Walter exists until 2015, when he suddenly disappears from this timeline.

And Michael is outside all timelines, since the one in which he was created never existed, but he was outside of it before it was changed.

5. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

it was a convoluted mess that the writer hoped you wouldn't bother to analyze bec it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. It basically was just to give a sad ending to Walter and a 'fitting' end for Peter, Olivia and Etta. This finale just reinforced how awful the science was for this show even for science fiction and just how poorly plotted the whole mytharc was. Fringe was a pretty piss poor show with only nobles performance standing out.

6. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Pretty much any story which invokes time travel, travel through parallel dimensions, etc ... will become a huge mess and fail just about every present day scientific standard.

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't make complete sense, but Peter already was existing in a timeline in which he didn't exist before the reset. When Peter stepped into the universe machine and bridged the two universes he disappeared and a new timeline began.

So he was never actually saved by Walter in that timeline and the timeline in which he was saved by Walter had already been erased.

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I have to admit that this one point has been bugging me since reading it earlier this morning. As many others have pointed out, one of Fringe's major flaws was the lack of logic concerning time-travel. I keep trying to wrap my mind around it, to find some manner that it makes sense, and it doesn't.

It is, as I said, the show's major flaw. That still doesn't change the fact that it was still a better series finale than many others I've seen over the past twenty years.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

^Better than Smallville's that for sure.

I'm still confused about the time travel

So the future where the Observers take over is erased

Walter somehow knows to get Micheal and head to the future even though there has been been nothing to indicate the Observers would take over in 2015

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

[Fawlty] Otherwise ok? [/Fawlty]

11. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Basically, Walter and Michael were able to change the creation of the Observers in the 22nd century so that all emotion was not purged from them later. So the month named Observers still existed. The Observers did not evolve into the ones that invaded in 2015. Walter existed until 2015 and has disappeared without a trace, except for the letter with the White Tulip. Peter may sense something since he has travelled through timelines.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

But the calendar Observers only went back to see when was a good time to invade...

Invade for no reason I might add.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh. It had some nice character moments but the timeline reset stuff just makes my head hurt when I try to understand it. I really think that changing the evolution of the observers should have had a far more dramatic impact than a simple reset back to 2015. The entire arc of the 5th season was unnecessary in my opinion, especially since it all gets erased with a big reset button at the end.

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That I definitely would agree with, given both what you said and the bond that existed between him and Walter. Of all the characters, Peter maintained memories of all the timelines he experienced (save for the future which now has never happened).

Yeah. It makes your head hurt to think about this too much.

:lol:

15. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Sure seems that way.

The Fringe season 5 bluray/dvd set is no a longer a "first day" must-buy for me. Maybe I'll pick it up once it starts showing up in the bargain bins for $15 or less (possibly on black friday).

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I, uh, am actually following what you're saying. Kinda scary.

TOTALLY OT: I'm watching the Baltimore/New England game. Baltimore is wearing leggings? They can call them whatever they want--those are leggings.

17. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Forgetting all of the other problems with time travel logic, Walter states that both he and Michael will be anomalies beyond 2015. I understand why Michael would be an anomaly, since he couldn't have been created by the Observers in the first place if they never existed, but I can't figure out why Walter would be an anomaly. Am I forgetting some critical interaction with the Obersvers he had? In this timeline, he and Peter were never saved by September, so it's not that ... so why would Walter be an anomaly?

18. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Same here.
    I don't think there are any shows left that I watch, that people do live threads for on here now.:(

19. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There should not have been a 5th season. It was just a fetch-quest season; first, unAmber a tape, try to decifer it, go out and find the thing, and bring it back. Next! Plus, did they have to crawl out of the airducts every time they tried to leave? I loved the show and watched every episode, but I'm disappointed.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That was a pretty good ending to a pretty lackluster final season.

So is Windmark dead or not? I went back and watched it twice. She TK slams a car into him, but he teleports away, but then there's a head-shaped blood smear on the window. So did she smush his brains as he tried to teleport away? Then why is there no body? Or did he survive? I wish we had a body for a definitive answer.

That was pretty effed up to kill September at the last second like that.

I think the greatest flaw of this episode, and the end of this season, is that having the kid be utterly silent and emotionless makes me not give one fig about him. The entire season revolves around him and I do not care at all about the character. Because he isn't a character. He's a plot device just sitting there who happens to be played by an actor.