New Trek Era Ships

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dryson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

I wonder if we will see new ships based on the new design style for classes such as the Defiant in the new Trek.

2. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Not sure if this belongs here or not. Maybe 'New Trek.' Anyway, I think that there have been some interesting new designs over the years, but I hope they keep the overall design of the main ships more or less along the conventional or 'signature' shape of a Trek ship, if only for the reason of nostalgia. To me, it's one of the things that makes Trek...Trek.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

And here we are.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I can say is, I hope so. I occasionally peruse the Interwebs to see if anyone has some new takes on starships based upon the Abrams universe. Below is a list that I have found over the years:

Excelsior class (with a new role emphasis as a carrier)

A listing of various classes
    , both official and fan created, including the Kelvin. Has Ricky "Madman" Wallace's creations included.

There's more but should get you started :techman:

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would much prefer seeing more Kelvin type ships, and (perhaps more importantly) getting a good look at what THIS Enterprise looked like.

As for the new designs we actually saw in the film: I liked the nuEnterprise but not the other ones. There's just something about the way those ships added the third nacelles or second engineering hulls that looked a little off.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding the comic, I don't think the predecessor ship was actually seen there at all.

Plotwise, all the images of a starship in that comic can be argued to be of PineKirk's new and well-known vessel, and not of April's starship. And graphicswise, all the images do depict PineKirk's vessel! Or at least they aren't sufficiently different from it in any respect to indicate anything but the usual imperfection of comic art.

So we can speculate freely on how many nacelles April's ship had, for example...

Timo Saloniemi

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Yes, it was. Just read it. There's no way that was the nuEnterprise we are familiar with - that hadn't even been built yet.

9. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I hope if we see any Klingon ships in the next movie that they more closely resemble the older ones than the ones we saw in STID - I didn't care for them at all.

10. fireproof78

I agree. That is one of the reasons why I like Madman's rendering of Franz Joseph's designs with the new style of hulls.

Also, in another comic, there is a Reliant style (called Vanguard class)in use by Section 31.

I hope to see more of the Enterprise style designs in other works.

11. Timo

What I mean is that none of the panels showing a starship are depicting a past event. They are all depicting an event from the "actual" story, the "Kirk timeframe", not from any flashback to the time of April's arrival to the planet. There is no April associated with any of the starship panels, and no April-specific action associated with them, either.

So when the ship walks, quacks and swims like a duck, it's easy to simply assume it is the duck. Kirk's duck, that is, not April's. We never see April's ship in that comic.

Timo Saloniemi

12. fireproof78

I wish I had the comic in front of me, because when I first read it I took it that we saw April in command of his Enterprise, showing it in orbit around the planet when they first arrived.

So, I thought that we had seen April's Enterprise, at least briefly. :confused:

13. Timo

Oh, there are definitely interior views of April's ship. My print lacks page numbers, but the spread where the left page begins with Kirk asking how April can still be alive and ends with an unnamed starship doing nothing (complete with a lens flare!), and the right begins with a view of April's bridge, is typical in creating no plotwise association between the unnamed starship that looks identical to Kirk's, and the action that follows.

That's just yer standard televised Trek, transferred to the comic forum: every now and then, the camera shows the hero starship in space, just to remind everybody that yes, this thing does take place in space...

Skipping the following spread, the next spread over shows another starship view at the right page top panel. Apart from the one already discussed, it is the only one that could even theoretically be associated with April's flashback rantings, but it is clearly 100% identical to several views we get of Kirk's ship later on. So, more likely to be another filler view of Kirk's ship when there's no relevant action going on anywhere.

After all, Kirk's ship is in orbit of this same planet, so there's no way of telling her apart from April's by graphics alone. No way, that is, unless the "two ships" looked different somehow. But they are utterly identical in every panel - so they are unlikely to be "they", merely "her".

Timo Saloniemi

14. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

April's ship could be Kirk's ship in the new version. What we see at the Riverside shipyard is the intensive refit that last several years (something similar would have to have happened in the 18 months prior to TMP, for example).

15. Timo

Might be. What changes in that refit, then, according to the comic? Well, the bridge layout. And just possibly the transporter room layout, as those are the only two interior spaces of April's ship shown, and the former clearly differs but the latter might depict a so far unseen transporter facility aboard Kirk's ship.

Also, the nacelle aft ends glow red in one "possibly April's ship" panel of the comic. But they glow all sorts of strange colors in the other panels, including the "certainly Kirk's ship" ones. And the fins on the nacelles are missing in every picture...

Timo Saloniemi

16. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

The USS Valiant design looks a lot like the design for the kobayashi Maru.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

That didn't look like a refitting to me. When Kirk pulls up in the cycle and views the ship, it definitely looks *unfinished* and incomplete. It's being built from scratch, not refitted.

And the implication is that the Enterprise in ST09 is brand new, anyway.

18. fireproof78

Yes, according to Captain Pike: Careful with the ship, Spock. She's brand new.

However, you can contrast that with Captain Decker's comment in TMP regarding the refit of Enterprise: This almost entirely new Enterprise...

So, it could go either way. However, I'm inclined to think that Enterprise in Trek 09 is new, given the style of the other Starfleet ships.

19. Timo

The funny thing is, that much "ripping-out" work would certainly have been required for turning ShatnerKirk's TOS ship into his movie ship!

Also, many real-world battleships looked that "ripped-out" when they underwent major refits prior to and during WWII. The hulls were so expensive that there was a incentive to retain them rather than build new ones, but the technology was so wrong for the more modern times that the superstructures often were completely removed and replaced by all-new ones.

Personally, I'd like to think that nuApril's ship was identical to Kirk's. Not in the sense of looking exactly like nuKirk's ship in the comic, though. Instead, April flew a ship looking like Shatner Kirk's TOS NCC-1701, or the ST:ID USS Biddeford, and was registered NCC-O701... :p

Timo Saloniemi