Why was the Enterprise.. [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., Jun 11, 2013.

1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were using sensors to locate him, not eyeballed guesstimates.

2. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Were they using sensors to measure -- down to the centimeter -- the exact distance of his jump?

Better question: if you were tracking Khan though, say, the optics pod of a Predator drone, would you even be able to tell with any accuracy how far that jump really was?

3. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Those are the impulse engines. Here is a blueprint - it's not the Abrams version, but I can't imagine that something like that would be any different. (I can't seem to find blueprints of the Abramsprise online.)

If they do slow down, it's not because they've gained mass - if anything, they've lost it. Some red giants - typically toward the end of their red giant phase - blow off the outer parts of their atmosphere.

Their rotation would slow down due to the conservation of angular momentum, but not their actual motion, unless they were acted upon by an outside gravitational force.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an astronomer or physicist - just an enthusiast. I do have a math degree, but with a very small number of exceptions, I haven't had to do any higher mathematics in a little over 20 years.)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A thread where I am still patiently awaiting a reply from WarpFactorZ.

5. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ex Astris Scientia is a perfect example for all what is wrong with today's fandom. See here http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/new_enterprise_comment.htm#size

Spent too much time playing Starfleet Battles and know mistrusting anything that does not look like a kitbash

6. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didnt have a problem with the Enterprise underwater, I was more concerned about the tall drop into the ocean and the swim to the Enterprise... sturdy fellas in the 23rd Century!

Werent Aqua shuttles featured in an episode of TAS? I actually like to think that the Shuttle could be rigged to run for a short time underwater just like the Puddle Jumpers in Stargate Atlantis.

7. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Well, I like the Star Fleet Universe: Prime Directive RPG and I'm not like that. :techman:

8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're expected to believe the Narada was scanned to the degree that technology advanced by leaps and bounds, then I'm sure measuring (and displaying) the position of a person they're tracking is quite doable.

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I read that the jump by Kirk and McCoy would have severely injured them or killed them. They would have either landed into the rocks, or they would jumped into the equivalent of a liquid concrete. That is real world realism.

10. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering they didn't actually build their own Narada, this point is irrelevant. Do you need to know down to the exact meter how big the Narada is to know that it's freaking huge?

Sure. But that's a far cry from measuring the exact distance of his jump. If they could track Khan that accurately they would have been able to beam him up without Spock having to chase him across the city.

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we know for sure gravity on Nibiru equals force enough to make a fall from that height lethal?

Memory Alpha says Nibiru is class M (though I don't recall that being stated in the film,?) One aspect of a class M planet though...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Class_M

12. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHkyMh9FW4

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure that was in the caption giving the planet's name.

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes, of course. Thank you.:)

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

You're applying the laws of physics to a machine designed to break the laws of physics.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

At least we know how it lifted off in the original, and what that would have looked like.