Thank you, Remastered TNG...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Tiberius Jim, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...for you have turned my wife into a Trekkie. :)

Before we met, she had never laid an eye on anything Trek related before. Sure, she knew who Kirk and Spock were, but had never watched an entire episode or movie. We started dating in April of 2009, so the midnight showing of Star Trek ended up being one of our "dates." She was interested and mildly impressed, but she really only went to go with me and be a part of something I was interested in. Since then, we'd watched a few of the various movies...but nothing really seemed to grab her attention...

...until now.

Once I heard about the TNG-R project, I was pretty vocal about how excited I was for it, showing her the screen shots and the teaser trailers. So when Season 1 came out, I saw it as a great opportunity to get into the show. Like me, she likes to take things in in the order they were intended (not one to jump to the end of a book first, for example) so she was interested in watching from the start. We sat down to watch "The Naked Now" (We had already watched EaF on the teaser disc) and she says, "So, just this one epidode, okay?"

As the credits roll... "Why don't you put the next one on?"

One morning, once we had made it though the first disc, I woke up to her turning on the TV. And heard a familiar sound...a sound I had heard hundreds of times watching the first run episodes as a kid.

"Space....the final frontier..."

I sat up in bed and had to make sure I was truly awake and not just dreaming this, and realized that she had in fact turned on the Blu-Ray in order for us to watch the next episode together. Hell, as far as I know she was just going to watch the next one without me, knowing I had seen them all. I think that's been my proudest moment in 4 months of being her husband so far. :)

Anyone else have a fun story of converting a loved one to the Trek side?

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I don't know if this counts as "conversion", and it happened back when TNG was still in reruns on TV, but it's still a fun story.

My nephew was about a year old at the time, just starting to develop a vocabulary. I build models as a hobby and with the exception of a couple of cars, everything I have is sci-fi. I was babysitting him one night. We were sitting in my room and TNG was on (don't remember what ep...doesn't matter anyway). At one point, I notice him looking back and forth from the TV to my model shelves. He recognized the model of the E-D as being the same one on TV. I showed him the model up close and told him "This is the Enterprise".

Him: "Empry".

One year old and he's trying to say "Enterprise"!

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

It's amazing you were able to get her past "Code of Honor." :D

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That is why God invented the "skip" button.

5. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

She must, to quote Jaga "Take the bad with the good."

6. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

No all my girlfriends hate star trek because its for dorks so whatever. I watch it with out them then.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That's awesome Flux! :techman:

My daughter is very impressed by TNG. I put on Sins Of The Father after I got the sampler disc and her reaction to seeing a flyby of the Enterprise was "Wowwee! Look at the spaceship!". Did I mention she's only 2?

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Exactly what I was going to say. She's definitely a good woman if she didn't run away screaming from that episode. ;)

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I was very firm with my gf. I told her that if she was going to be my gf, she'd have to watch Trek. Now she's a fan.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, we watched that one too. She did realize it was pretty cheesy but still enjoyed it. She thought "Justice" was crap, too. So far Data is her favorite, and is fairly annoyed by Deanna, mostly by her wardrobe. :) It's been fun so far, although when she points out mistakes or sloppy writing it usually goes like this:

Her: "Why did they/didn't they _______?" :wtf:
    Me: "I..uh...I don't know." :confused:

11. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I know what you mean. I had the same issue when I saw the theater screening with my gf. I told her to trust me that it gets better.

12. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's good. Get her into this before she's so old she'll be corrupted by the crap on TV and friends. I always wondered why my dad never showed TOS to me, although he did gave me his Kirk and Spock action figures.

And of course, I come across TNG and later VOY on TV. But I had never seen a TOS episode until I myself bought the Best of TOS DVD. And then subsequently bought the whole series when the prices for all boxes had been halved. I got all 3 seasons for 150 bucks, but had I bought them earlier I would be have to pay more than 110 dollars for each season. The only movie I had seen before was Wrath of Khan but I hardly remembered it except that I recognized the reference in Seinfeld.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012