Data - B4 Question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by EJD1984, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"All the other characters?" Of the characters who died onscreen and weren't resurrected onscreen, the only ones I'm aware of who've been brought back in the novels are Kirk and Trip -- and Trip didn't provably, conclusively die onscreen at all. Tasha is still dead in the books, Jadzia is still dead in the books, as are Admiral Forrest, Matt Decker, Khan, Terrell, David Marcus, Gowron, Dukat, Winn, Joe Carey, and countless others.

So there is no standard practice of resurrecting the dead in the books. Indeed, the books have killed off more canon characters than they've brought back.

2. kc5hwb

kc5hwb Lieutenant Red Shirt

I for one hope they bring Data back.. but with everyone talking about it like this, I think they will draw it out as far as they can.

3. spock1974

spock1974 Cadet Newbie

If B-4's slowness is due to less advanced hardware compared to data then surely it would be possible for Maddox to give him some kind of hardware upgrade? After all Maddox (and presumably his colleagues) have been studying Data for years, as well as Lore and Lal. I find it hard to believe that after all those years of study that they would not be able to make some kind of modifcations to B-4 to speed him up to Data's level! If not then maybe its time for Maddox to get the sack and let someone else have a try!

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it stinks. What I love about the novels is that they can tell any story from any time period, so I'm hoping the TNG line will soon return to the seven year period of the series, so Data is alive, and part of the books.

At least occasionally. The TNG novels should do both eras, their series, and their movies, like TOS does.

And what REALLY chaps my hide is they resurrect that idiot Trip but leave Data dead..........

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

If you want to read recent TNG stories with Data, check out the anthology The Sky's the Limit (which covers the adventures of the TNG crew across the seven seasons of the show and through all the movies and has plenty of Data) and the eBook miniseries Slings and Arrows, which are six stories that take place in the year between the launch of the Enterprise-E and First Contact.

6. RandyS

I read The Sky's the Limit last Christmas. Great book.

Wasn't Slings and Arrows the eBook series that follows the TOS guys? Isn't that the one that was released during the 40th anniversary?

7. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ The TOS e-Book mini-series is Mere Anarchy (due out in trade paperback, March 2009!) :)

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Nope, as Dayton said, you're thinking of Mere Anarchy. Slings and Arrows is a TNG six-eBook miniseries that was released for that show's 20th anniversary in 2007 and covered, as I said, the year leading up to First Contact. A print compilation has yet to be scheduled, so right now the only way to read it is in electronic form.

The six stories are by J. Steven York & Christina F. York, Phaedra M. Weldon, William Leisner, Terri Osborne, Robert Greenberger, and some hack with four initials....

9. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett.

10. RandyS

Ah yes. I remember now.

Thanks.:bolian: