Firefly worth it?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sbk1234, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

If that President compromises the security of the Federation, there will be Powers That Be, elected or appointed, who could and would sanction it. Again, your lack of 'gray' vision blinds you to reality; accept it - reality is not black and white. That's not even just fiction - it's fantasy. You may not like that, and that's perfectly fine, but the gray not only exists, it vastly outweighs the black and white, and is ultimately what turns the wheels.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ What is your beef with the Federation, anyway? Why do you hate it so much? I thought you were a Trek fan.

Do you think the US government would do the same thing? Are you a JFK conspiracy nut?

3. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Absolutely, and no.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

*throws up arms in frustration* And people call ME a fatalist... :(

5. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Who has a beef with the Federation? They, like the USA, are probably the greatest representation of democracy and freedom in their respective universes. But that doesn't make either of them perfect, and you once again slip into a b/w mentality when you accuse someone of hating something just because they can see its flaws as well as its strengths. Just like being a Trek fan - I love Trek, but doing so doesn't blind me to its flaws, nor make me believe it must be pristine and perfect or it is unacceptable.

And, yes, I too absolutely believe the US government would do such a thing. But on the whole, I wouldn't want any other government. I can disagree with some of their methods and still believe that without the fundamental idea behind that government, the world would be a much darker place.

If everyone were content with government, if no one ever questioned it nor took steps to act, the US government and this country would not exist to provide the freedoms we enjoy. And in a Firefly context, Mal and Zoe, in particular, are the same sort of people as those who fought to bring about the USA - they just happened to be on the losing side, not the wrong one (to paraphrase our Big Damn Hero ;)). That's why they are "good" - a defeated hero is, nonetheless, a hero.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I see. Well, bringing the thread back on topic - as long as people are willing to entertain the possibility that the Alliance has heroes as well, I suppose I could call it even. ;)

7. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Two or three short posts later, & I am a fan of yours, P.
    :beer:

8. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I came here thinking to start a Firefly thread, but I see that one is already here.

About a week ago I made a blind purchase of Firefly and I really enjoyed watching it. It maybe doesn't live up to all the hype, but I still think it is very good.

Yesterday I bought Serenity and thought it was pretty good also. It offers some closure and answers some questions, while leaving open the possibility of new adventures.

9. Chrisisall

It actually beat out Blade Runner & STTMP as my favourite movie of all time. I loved the series, but Serenity just blew me away.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It may be telling that while I really like the first half of Serenity (when it's just "one of the jobs"), I usually start to zone out a bit once the "main plot" kicks in.

11. Chrisisall

Well. I don't zone out even for the V'Ger cloud sequence in TMP, so maybe I just have a higher tolerance for slow moving stuff. :guffaw:

12. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Since the Alliance won, I'm sure they have a whole lot of heroes.

you know what the definition of a hero is?
    :)

13. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

As an answer to the OP, I'd recommend it, especially if it's for $30, which would make it a fair bit cheaper than what you can get it for over here in Blighty (or at least when I bought it), even better if you can get it for $19.99. For me, in terms of entertainment, it hit many spots; dialogue, humour, action, well written and acted relationships between the characters and the plots.

True, there are some dud episodes, but considering that it only got 14 episodes, we got a very strong feel for the 'verse that was being depicted. I didn't see the Alliance as purely evil, though I'm not a fan of the Unification, but meh, you see some of the lawmakers trying to do their best keeping it all together.

14. Brandonv

I actually liked all of the episodes. Some I liked more than others, but I wouldn't call any of them a dud.

15. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

even better if you can watch it for FREE.

16. Chrisisall

Bushwacked was my least favourite ep, and I still LIKED it!
    Firefly was what DS9 wished it could be.;)

*Ducks the inevitable phaser fire*

17. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

same here.

Out of Gas may be one of the finest hours of television evar.

dude, not cool :vulcan:

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think THAT'S a stretch, but I agree that it is one of Firefly's finest hours.

19. Chrisisall

Sorry.:confused:

20. Brandonv

I watched Serenity again yesterday, and I liked it a lot more the second time around. If I were to make a list of my top 10 sci-fi movies, I think Serenity would probably be in it now.