Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

I am off tomorrow and plan to see the 9:30 am showing.

The I am going at night with my wife and then with a group of friends on Saturday.

I hope I like it.

2. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OH MY GOD!

Just got back from an IMAX session on opening night. Our showing was booked out, full house. As was the session after. I suspect the later showings were as well.

Amazing film. Great characters, intense action and suspense, amazing effects - everything you could possibly want IMO..

The audience were really into it. Lots of people in the packed cinema laughing out loud in spots, gnashing their teeth in others (and on occasion doing both at the same time) sighing with delight when old Spock turned up and giving the film a warm ovation at the end.

Really cool experience. It's been worth the wait. Star Trek is back with great big gigantic balls.

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I'm just back as well. Enjoyed it heaps. Just the kick up the fundament the franchise needed. Huge film. Still haven't taken it all in.

Just one warning. I do feel my expectations were a little high, whether by myself or the advertising. Don't go expecting War & Peace.

BTW, J, you didn't say what you thought of Tim Bisley's review.

4. msbae

msbae Commodore

I'm also just getting back from the film in SD. I won't reveal any details. I'm going again tomorrow to see it in IMAX. To say I'm impressed is quite an understatement. The theater was packed as I was walking out and everyone was there for Star Trek. No one cared about any other movie and I don't blame them. I've never seen my local theater so packed before.

For those who worry about this movie violating Canon, you need not be worried. It didn't even need to follow Canon. You'll understand after watching the film, or thinking about it for a few minutes.

Also, for those who questioned this new form of the Enterprise, remember it is the Enterprise. That ship will pull at your heart strings, just as she always has, over these last 43 years.

Finally, there are only 3 words in any language that describe this film and not even Uhura could think of something better:

Star Trek LIVES!!!

5. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it last night as well, and I will say that it was HUGE!!! I absolutely enjoyed it, and thought that Abrams breathed new life into the franchise. Everyone hit their marks perfectly. Looking forward to seeing that bad boy in Imax tomorrow! Anyone still on the fence about seeing it, I highly recommend going- it'll be worth it!

Besides The Dark Knight, last night was the closest I've seen to a full house opening night in several years. We used to have big opening nights, but then we got a second theater and more opening night showings, and the crowds generally were never as big, so it was nice to see most of the seats filled.

6. msbae

msbae Commodore

I saw it again in IMAX today. That was fun.

A mostly positive review from my local newspaper...

http://blog.nola.com/mikescott/2009/05/star_trek_review_kirk_is_back.html#post

An article from Slate of all people on the history of the Klingon language

http://www.slate.com/id/2217815/

2 articles about the movie I found on the Drudge Report

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/weekend-prediction-star-trek-65m/

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLesMe8OgzQ8

^^^ I say it deserves at least a Billion at the Box Office. It is that good.

7. skippyluvs

skippyluvs Ensign Red Shirt

Should have used the search button before posting this. :)