"Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Jan 9, 2013.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Noticed that too, pretty good replacement CG shot as well. Though I do hope the film element turns up in the future, quite like that pass of the 4 footer.

If you look at the shot of the saucer section firing at 1.15 in the trailer the phasers are fluctuating in colour. I thought it might just be an effect on the Borg viewscreen but the photons fired from the stardrive section are all orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I always liked the "rainbow" colored phasers.. so much more interesting than just a plain energy beam Guess it's a taste thing.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did too. The phasers were showing the rotating frequency, instead of what we saw on Voyager where they say it was rotating frequency, but we only saw one color for the most part.

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I spotted some CGI enhancements here and there. The explosion of the Borg Cube for instance doesn't look to me like the original effect. But check out the amazing new Borg interior at 0.34 seconds into the promo. As in "Q Who" the Borg in the background now move. You can clearly see a drone stepping into his alcove.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

God, I hope so. It always bugged me that the Enterprise was spinning, spinning, spinning and then STOP, BOOM!

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

1080p trailer....wow. OK ordered it....

RAMA

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Ron Moore will do a podcast one for "The Defector", seeing as how there isn't one on the disc...

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have any info on the BOBW mid-episode edit on the telemovie disc? This really is the deal clincher for me - a slapdash, awkward transition between parts I/II equals no sale.

10. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

The difference in the quality of the borg cube in BOBW compared to Season 2's Q-who is staggering. In Q-Who it looks like a low resolution matte painting. In BOBW its so clear and sharp that I can see ALL the little elements...

11. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if any stores will run a promotion giving you a deal if you buy both the season 3 set and the BOBW disc.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes me sad that we'll probably never get to see Q Who? look that good.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It wasn't like the original cube looked anything special in Q Who. The visual effects people obviously stepped up their game big time when it came time to do BOBW.

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That because two different teams worked on those two episodes. Dan Curry did Q-Who. ANd Dan's work is always overlite, and isn't as sharply focused. Never has been. Rob Legato was lead on Best of Both Worlds I & 2. Also didn't hurt that as time progressed both producers learned how to better managed the facilities they had, and replacing the 6footer allowed far more time to be fred up for other shots.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Also Paramount was willing to give them a bigger budget because BOBW was the first two parter on the show so far.

Didn't Q who mainly use the 2footer?

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

In the press release it's described as, "seamlessly edited" which might imply that there's no cut to black as in my example, which I finally uploaded to YouTube if there's someone who hasn't seen it yet:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkk-h9f9_qc[/yt]

It may (and I stress, may) be similar to what you see in the trailer here at 1:50 (without the out of sequence cuts to Worf and Troi):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYy8o4nXZEY[/yt]

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Maxwell, many thanks for those links. I've bitten the bullet and placed my order in addition to the season three box. Since the standalone disc is only £10 odd, I guess it won't be the proverbial end of the world if I don't like the edit.

18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

TBOBW has been available as a single episode on DVD for ages, I guess the two episodes will be edited together for the BD in the same way.

19. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Amazing trailer! I haven't grinned as eagerly about a TNG BD since the season one trailer was released!

Wait a minute. A tear rolls down Picard's face as he's being assimilated?? I must have seen BOBW ten times and have never noticed that before! I am obviously the kind of person for whom this new HD transfer is intended!

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A composited one, yeah. And it seems to look a bit better now. :)