DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome back! What was your old username?

2. Dukat's Major

Dukat's Major Commander Red Shirt

Elmo Dukat.

3. Savage Dragon

I remember you! It's a pretty unique username.

4. Dukat's Major

Dukat's Major Commander Red Shirt

Cool! :) I haven't been posting too much, just getting used to the board again. I used to spend a ton of time in Misc but I'm more interested in Trek stuff and science these days. I'm really excited for the new Trek series, as I haven't been able to discuss new episodes of a Trek series on forums since the 90s when I was on AOL :lol:

5. Capn Nick

Capn Nick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I introduced myself on the TNG and Voyager boards (yes, I shamelessly like all the Star Trek shows) but not here. I really didn't like DS9 when it first ran. My first thought was that it thumbed its nose at the philosophy of Star Trek. More militaristic. Less exploration. More modern sensibility that was, maybe, less idealistic (don't hate me yet! I came around!).

Anyway, I am a great fan of Colm Meaney as an actor and was talking to a friend about something he was in and my friend mentioned how great he was in DS9. Then he nearly beat me up for not having finished it. So I watched it from start to finish. I recanted and took back my previous opinions. The character development is just superb and it has, in my opinion, completely believable but great long arcs not just about stories but about people. Even Damar, a long minor character, gets wonderful growth!

Anyway, sorry that was so wordy, but this particular Star Trek series was a great surprise to me once I gave it a real chance.

dub and Kilana2 like this.
  6. Savage Dragon

I'm a little late, but welcome aboard Capn Nick! And no need to apologize. It's always interesting to hear how someone became a fan. :beer:

7. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

Hi all I am in the middle of watching DS9 for the first time I was a TNG girl watched it first run I think I watched one episode of DS9 back in the day and couldn't get into it but I was missing something back then because I love this show I love the storylines and the sarcasm do I love the sarcasm loving all the characters so far I am in the middle of season 3

8. Savage Dragon

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Welcome aboard!

9. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

By Gar, it's been a while. But I'm back. I'm glad to know that this place is still kicking around.

10. zombiemalkshake

zombiemalkshake Ensign Newbie

I love ds9, the characters the story,don't get me wrong I love all star trek but I'm hooked on Ds9. My heart races every time. Sad I know. But it's my escape.

11. zombiemalkshake

zombiemalkshake Ensign Newbie

I've owned all and ds9 is what I find myself watching over and over. I remember when it came out, I was so next gen. Didn't want to look at it, but when i did I was hooked, and when the dominion story line came out that was it for me, loved it. Taken a lot of stick for it but took it on the chin and stood up to what I love and wish. Ps I'm normal lol

12. Savage Dragon

You just watch yourself. :vulcan:

13. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd rather watch you. ;)

Also, I feel like I should be offended. :p

Savage Dragon likes this.
  14. DS9nurse

DS9nurse Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a while a finally decided to post. I absolutely love DS9. I pretty much love all the characters, and wow what great strory lines.
    I first got introduced to Star Trek by my brother in 8th grade. I first started watching TNG in reruns and really enjoyed it. I didn't come to DS9 until mid 5th season and instantly feel in love with it. I haven't seen it in years, but was recently fortunate enough to purchase the DVDs and do a complete run thru. It was even better than I remember!
    I hate the fact that it often gets overlooked, but that means there's more for us to enjoy!
    I look forward to posting here and getting to know some fellow Niners! :hugegrin:

15. Savage Dragon

Welcome aboard! :beer:

16. LFT11501

LFT11501 Ensign Red Shirt

DS9 is definitely one of my favorites of the entire franchise. Wormholes, The Dominion, Cardassians, the entire series was just badass. :)

17. bajorangirl

bajorangirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm new here so thought I'd say a big "HELLO!!!!" :hugegrin: I thought I'd introduce myself on the DS9 thread as it is my favourite series. I love how we learn more about the characters and their back ground as well as keeping with the story lines on DS9. I dream of walking on the promenade and having a drink in Quarks. He's not a main character but Rom is my favourite just because he is so cute :adore:

18. OldManDoom

OldManDoom Lieutenant Red Shirt

Niner, checking in.

19. tssurfer

tssurfer Ensign Red Shirt

hello is this the DS9 club? can i get a synthehol and some grubworms pls. i just made some latinum and want to party :)

20. BJ Wagner

BJ Wagner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not since the last season was released on DVD for the first time have I watched an episode...until tonight. I've decided to watch the entire series on Netflix. It's great to see the old gang again. This is the one series of Trek that I feel has the greatest development for much of the cast. I forgot all about Nog's journey until I saw him again.

Even on Netflix, The Emissary is a darkly-lit episode. I also couldn't help notice that the uniforms seem a bit plain. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but after Enterprise, I'd kind of like if the DS9 one-piece had been designed with more pockets. Basically an Enterprise overall with the same colour scheme as DS9. Just saying...