Most Powerful Sci-Fi Civilization

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Harbinger, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Well, the thing about the Q is that according to some accounts they are all smoke and mirrors. Not nearly as omnipotent or powerful as they like to make themselves out to be.

Unfortunately Voyager sort of ruined this idea(as it ruined so many things), but perhaps that was just more trickery.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't know, the Q probably in the Rhodan high powers category..their power ranged from the beginning of the universe to some realistic speculation on the future. Still, I have problems with intelligences/powers than range through multiverses...the physics involved are likely a limitation on such species.

When speculating on the future, I try not to go as far as including such all-powerful entities, though I don't mind speculating on hyper-advanced species within the technological realm.

Like the Culture, most stories written with species of such powers have to be done so with them on the periphery, otherwise its hard to write any drama in them..same with species even on the Borg level, at some point you have to de-power them in some way or reduce the threat, or you can never use them.

RAMA

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

That would have been a far superior way to present the Q in future interactions, and wouldn't have contradicted anything we saw in TNG.

They're pretty powerful, but not omnipotent. The fact that they couldn't control each other (or force humans/others to bend to their will) proves that they're not omnipotent.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Other than "accidentally" making stars go supernova during their civil war, the Q never demonstrated the kind of absolute power one would expect from so-called "omnipotent" beings.

Most of what they did could be boiled down to:

* Implanted mass hallucinations.
    * Varying levels of psychokinesis.
    * Interdimensional travel.
    * Clinical immortality.

There are nominally human superheroes who can do the above, either biologically or through the use of technology. The Q just don't seem all that powerful by comparison.

And hey, even lame-ass corporal mortals can blow up stars on command. Ask Tolian Soran.

5. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

When they're on form, the Time Lords.

For starters they created the TARDIS, a virtually invulnerable ship that can travel through space and time, is bigger on the inside and is capable of hauling planets about (as much as I'd like to forget that ending).

And that's just the outdated "junk" the Doctor travels in.

They can teleport planets around time and space, trap them in eternal force fields or stick whole solar systems into a time loop at a flick of a switch.

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read most of Perry Rhodan up to the 2035's (took years o_O) and there's no comparing the Q with a Cosmocrat, they're so vastly beyond everything humans can even imagine that they can't usually directly communicate a life form at human level, they'd have to create a sort of avatar for that which is by all means still more powerful than anything else in the universe(s).

The Q would be a super intelligence level species at most, but they're, from what we've seen in Star Trek, too limited in what they can do, the SI that keeps an eye on us humans has an influence sphere that spans the local group in this and other universes and controls several dimensions attached to these universes.
    Its powers aren't displayed in the ways the Q, they're much more subtle, but on occasion they do things like absorbing an entire species to save them from extinction, also they're not beyond creating pocket universes and planets as they see fit.

As for us, we're quite badass, we've got 100,000 sphere shaped space ships each 2.5Km in diameter armed with 60 Transform cannons with a yield of 4000 to 6000 Gigaton TNT each, they shoot bombs via hyperspace and there is no traveling time, click=BOOM, planets or even the ship itself are no obstacle, hiding behind a planet doesn't work, the bombs dematerialize and then materialize inside YOUR ship, imagine 60 x 6000 Gigaton TNT exploding inside your ship...
    Shielding is such that a ship can fly through a star if needed, they also have cloaks and can land on planets, imagine finding that in your backyard, hull materials are imune for antimatter and melt at 96,000c

Acceleration of a 2.5km ship is around 1000G's, FTL speeds are for the normal engines around 40,000 to 100,000 times the speed of light, specialzed Dimesexta 6D engines made it possible to reach the Sombrero nebula within weeks.
    Powersuply, NUG Black shield reactors 225,000 Gigawatt per reactor, there are at least 12 of them on board.

We humans can place a shield around the entire solar system and if needed displace it through time so we're a little ahead of the rest of the universe.

http://www.pr-materiequelle.de/riss/risszei/r465.htm
    Marco Polo which is a 2.5Km sphere ship.

http://www.pr-materiequelle.de/riss/poster/r1100_p.htm
    A later ship, the 14Km long BASIS, mean little thing...

Its almost not possible to compare any SF series to Perry Rhodan, the story arcs sometimes span years in writing and 40.000 years in in universe history, the vastness of it all is beyond everything else in SF, it spans 51 years now and they're still writing it, the "universe" they've created is mind blowing, the characters, the technology its all HUGE.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a suspicion that there is much less to the Q than they let on. Quinn (the Gerrit Graham version) said that people mustn't think of the Q as omnipotent even though they say they are. I'm inclined to believe him. I view the Q as "smoke and mirrors" more than anything else.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i vote for humans. that species seems to turn up everywhere, so they must be resilient

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

the Master called them the greatest monsters in the universe.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Earth would be Joe's Apartment for the Doctor?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he would know.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

From Wikipedia, on Culture ships:
    Quantity does not equal quality (and yes, I realise the irony of that statement). :)

13. Santaman

^^ Rhodan's universe has so called Spore ships, 1126km in diameter which isn't much smaller than our moon. ;)
    http://www.pr-materiequelle.de/riss/risszei/r1271.htm

Also there's a fleet called The Endless Armada which consist out of 513 million ships..

And us humans have Old Man a 200Km half sphere battleship carrier, underneath the sphere are 12 box shaped sections each 50x50x10 Km each holding 840 2.5Km ships, in total 15,080 of them.
    http://www.pr-materiequelle.de/riss/risszei/r300.jpg

As for quality, well even after more than 50 years they STILL haven't made any continuity errors so... ;):p

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

There's more than that (Orbitals, for example), but the GSVs can have a population of millions.

But then, the galactic civilisations of the Lensman series also had big ships and thousands of thousands of years.

So, we can all say we're grateful that our favourite authors like to Think Big.

(Still prefer the Culture, though. :D )

15. Corwwyn

Corwwyn Vice Admiral Admiral

The Douwd were pretty powerful if Kevin Uxbridge is a fair example.

16. Santaman

Yeah they did (and still) think big. :cool:

My favorite 40's pulp is Captain Future, hope they'll do something with that, the late 70's anime was great but a tad outdated.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The TARDIS (Tardii?) are naturally occuring spaceborn coral-like entities slaved to the Time Lords, bred for use as ships by inplanting technology (and carving out sections of their living interior) in their centuries long "childhood" phase when they still reside entirely in one dimension, growing to full adulthood about the size of Earth's moon.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Where do you get this idea from? I don't remember any mention of it on-screen?

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Torchwood, somehow Jack got his hands on a fetal Tardis, it's growing on his desk in the series. It's only about two feet across now, he mentions it will take up to 500 years for it to grow to the point where he can manipulate it's shape into the beginnings of a ship form Tardis.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

This still draws a blank with me - in what episode is it explicitly referenced as Tardis coral or indeed any of the rest is mentioned?

Edit: Looking around that is simply a suggestion thrown out by the actor John Barrowman in a Radio Times interview and is never mentioned or even suggested on-screen.